Interviewing

So I got an offer today from a decent firm looking at someone to do credit underwriting/financial statement analysis, valuation, and other M&A type activity. Looks sweet.

But!

I also have 3 interviews pending elsewhere. What’s a fair play here. How much ‘time to think it over’ is reasonable and necessary. Rest assured I’m going to put pressure on the other firms to make up their fcking minds one way or another. I only wish I could sit and ponder an offer for 30-45 days like companies do with candidates seeking a role. Such is life.

First and foremost, congrats. 1 week max imo

^ Thanks bud. They sure take their time! 4 interviews, sample modeling work, etc. I started looking mid Feb and just got an offer now.

Pay no attention to those liberal zips on TV explaining the economy is on the brink to crumble to complete collapse thus no one is hiring and layoffs are immenent. Jobs are plentiful for those whom are driven, amiable, and qualified. You don’t need a Top 2 MBA to get an interview in NYC. I’m living proof!

You staying in NYC though, bro?

Staying up in Harlem and working in Midtown. Respect. A brotha like me don’t belong in the midwest (cept Souf Side Chicago) and I have no desire to work/live in a vacation town.

Onward to negotiation, giddy up!

Congrats.

Congrats, CvM!

How did you make the connections: did they solicit you directly? did you use a recruiter? did you just apply off of websites? did friends/networks put you in touch?

It’s nice for people to hear what ways are working.

Congrats on the new gig and surviving the rusty hacksaw.

Hacksaw is still in place as I’m not working in SS ER out in midtown. M’n’A’in is close, but not the same.

It comes down to pounding the pavement. I spoke with recruiters, but most are worthless. I mainly used the email autonotification function on indeed.com, simplyhired.com, and linkup.com. When you see a job you really qualify for, apply. If you know someonethere, even better. This current role was a cold lead for me as I didn’t know anyone within the company other than a MBA classmate who worked there years prior. Upon talking to HR at this new place, he explained they had maybe 300 resume submitted, when only 30 should have been. They then narrowed interviews down to 12 or so, and wittled away until an offer was given. Overall jobs are out there for those who qualifiy and bring with them a bright attitude, intelligence, and so forth. I was commended for my enthusiasm and fresh perspective. Don’t get emotional. You get a few big bites thinking you’re king kong sht, then it’ll all dry out and leave you depressed. Keep it relative and ensure you’re not going up and down a rollarcoaster.

The interpersonal aspect is huge. I got along great with the team I’m jumping onto which was clutch for getting the offer. I was also told that there was someone more seasoned in the running, however, they didn’t have much of a personality.

So get out there kiddos. Don’t just be a walking CFA curriculum. Work out, get involved in the community, and present yourself as a cool dude.

Now it comes to giving my current role the farewell and possibly f-u.

^ Congrats. Nice to hear someone having success with the current job market. Gives me some motivation to get back out there myself.

Nice. Time to celebrate with a 3-course meal – spaghetti, fettucini and veal.

Just don’t knock me for trying to bury, seven zeroes, over in Rio De Janeiry.

Meanwhile, I’ll be strictly trying to cop those…colossal-sized Picassos.

This merits a good fap tonight!

Congratulations. Resigning is the fun part

So the other pending interviews…

1. I told the guy I had an offer presented and he literally got pissed off. As if he figured I was bluffing. He’s like, “Oh fine, guess you have your mind made up on us then. Good luck.” His loss for not playing ball.

2. Guy expedited the decision and said I came in the top 3 for potential, however, they have a ringer who is perfect for the role that they plan on making an offer to. Therefore he said go on and take my other offer without worry. Legit.

3. Same as #1. Basically was taken aback that I’d even dare game him or look at any other firm than theirs.

Can I have your current job?

Sounds like: “If we can’t hold you over a barrel, we don’t want you around us at all.”

No offense, but I wouldn’t reco my job to my worst enemy. fck this place.

@CFAvsMBA

Congrats for your new opportunity where at least you may forget about using the “rusty hacksaw”(at least for a few months to come).

“No offense, but I wouldn’t reco my job to my worst enemy. fck this place.”

See, CvM, carrying so much negativity about a place or a person or anything only aggravate your emotions and pollutes your mind, especially when you can afford to leave or disassociate from that particular place, person or anything else. Having a bad taste in the mouth after a bad dish is not same as having a ill-feeling about anyone or any place when you are departing from them, even if you have been harmed irretrievably by them (though that is not the case here as you enjoyed working as long as you were there!). I hope you won’t mind my saying so, I said this only because you come out, in general, as a highly qualified and balanced person from your posts which I always enjoyed reading. Now you have got a seemingly better choice and going for it so why carry any ill-feeling towards anyone? Be generous and forget the bad things. I am not sermonising, just telling you what I felt after reading your reaction – take it or leave it.

^Respect.

Good points, mygos, but there’s no harm in a little private (ok, semi-public) unloading of pent-up emotion at the moment of transition. Carrying that angst with you for the remainder of your career is poisonous to the soul, you are right, but a momentary “thank The Lord I’m outa here!” is fairly harmless and perhaps even healthy (for motivating you in your new work) as long as you don’t end up burning bridges when you do it.

huff away, CvM, we’ve all been there (or will be). :wink: