Is being a job hopper a bad thing?

Do u work days?

5% is an incredibly good number. Check out VC/Angels rounds for other companies of your size, or you can ask what was last valuation of your company to gauge how much in terms of $ it is

Absolutely not. I can’t stand KU. But, I’ll be sitting in a suite sipping on free cocktails so I’ll suffer them for this evening.

Why not see if your current employer will match the 15% raise? They might if you’re doing a good job. It’s a pain for them to have to hire and train in someone new.

That’s what I’m thinking. will talk to them on monday.

^ I warn you now, you can only really do that once, and even still, you’ll be looked upon negatively for trying. No one likes getting their hand forced. I’ve done this and regretted it. I’d just go.

Why that would be the case? I like my current employer and I know they need me. If I mention the offer, either they would let me go or match it. Am I not reading something correctly here?

I think it all depends on how you frame it. If you want to leave, then don’t bother trying to ask for more – just go. However if you are inclined to stay, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to say that the other employee approached you with a higher offer, and while the opportunity is compelling, you figured it would be a good time to assess your contributions to your current employer and see if there was a way to make things work. To geo’s point, if you want to go this route and not look bad for trying to ask for more, you need to handle it in the most positive manner possible and keep the discussion between you and your manager.

^

No, you’re doing the right thing. Just be nice and polite.

Wow numi. You got people skills.

Have a great weekend AF family! Monday is going to be a big day for me.

Well, your employer knows you were actively searching for a new job/money just after accepting a promotion. I think that looks a bit bad, no? I wouldn’t be impressed. If you were in a role for awhile then maybe, but just getting promoted and probably a raise and now coming back for more because you kept looking for more money elsewhere, I don’t know.

But have a good weekend and best of luck.

Situation might be tricky if it involves recruiter

Also consider: you might not burn a bridge at your current shop if you go this route, but you’ve certainly burnt a bridge at the new place as they know you used them. It’s a big investment of personal time in the recruiting process (just ask Itera), if a candidate accepts my offer and then later changes his or her mind becaues they got a raise at their original place, they’re not working for me anytime, ever.

If you’ve already accepted the new offer, you should take it, because you committed to it. Not doing so is borderline unethical. If you have left the offer open, then it’s more fair game, but don’t expect another offer from that firm or that manager ever again.

Umm what if my counter 50% more? It is fair game either way, but yes, if you have accepted renegging on a offer is bad

I more or less agree with this.

However, I don’t know if I would jump ship from a company I like, a job I like, people I like, just for 15%. Don’t misunderstand me, 15% is nice, but you could be working long hours with assholes who refuse to use Excel.

would echo others. if offer accepted, generally its not good to back out. you’d be surprised how tight connections are

They haven’t offered me yet. I had a talk with recruiter about the offer. that’s why I started this thread to get opinion from you guys.

The promotion happned right after I scheduled an interview with the new employer.

Always chase the cash. Its just like chasing the longer d, you will never be dissapointed when u sleep at night.

Worsht advice ever, like of all time possibly.

^Seriously?