Is being a job hopper a bad thing?

Getting paid more is an ok reason to change job, all else equal.

In Japan it is uncommon to job hop, but i can see the tread is changing now and certainly it depends on the industry.

These days, so many jobs are on contract basis, it is simply the new way of working - you complete a project here and take on a new job elsewhere, then the next contract comes you take it and travel somewhere else.

I think sometimes employers PREFER candidates with a diverse background because quite simply, they do not intend to hire you forever! So if you have the experience to start working right away, you can be there for a year or two and the company is glad to let you go.

I agree with this. If ever there are layoffs, this detail might get back to haunt you. I’ve seen it happen.

As for the original question, you can ask 10 different people within the same company and get 10 different answers (although theoretically there should be only 2). Go wherever you think will position you best for the long term. You will have a 35 year career, it’s a marathon.

Sounds like you know what you have to do on Monday. Listen to numi’s approach. Consider which situation would be best for you–don’t worry about leaving shortly after a promotion. As long as you stay positive and professional, it is hard to see anyone at your current shop getting upset with you taking a better offer. If they act like jerks about it, then it is probably not a place you want to be long-term anyway.

Good luck!

I think there is evidence that those who stay at a current job with a higher salary by using a new offer as a negotiating tool don’t end up staying much longer at the company…can’t remember the study though.

I would believe this

No, you have the right to continue to seek employment that’ll pay you your fair market value. If even after the raise you’re still not being paid fairly, you can continue to seek employment elsewhere - it just tells your employer that they didnt’ give you a high enough raise.

If your employer is paying you $50K a year then offers you a 10% raise but the market value of your skills, experience, position, etc. is $100K a year, would you shut up and accept it after the raise? Hell no! Keep aiming for that 100K job in that case!

Agreed, and encourging words as well.

Thank you everyone. I thought about it over the weekend and decided to go for the newer job. Huge (not really but for me) difference in the compensation.

Just my two cents, but I think you probably made the right call.