Is it safe to skip GIPS entirely ??

Hi,

I want to start with practice with mocks soon and looks like GIPS is a difficult target to achieve.

What’s your say on this ?

Hah if only…would be music to my ears! What an absolutely horrendous section.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to skip any section of the curriculum entirely. It’s a tough section to get through but once you get some of the key concepts down it’s not so bad.

It depends primarily on whether you expect to ace everything else.

If so – 100%, no less – then I’d say it’s safe.

If not, it’s not.

No.

Here’s my theory.

If you don’t study GIPS at all, you’ll statistically get 2/6 correct. If you study somewhat, then you’ll maybe get 3/6 correct or 4/6 if lucky. If you spend hours upon hours mastering GIPS, then just maybe you get 6/6 correct.

GIPS has, without a doubt, the worst effort to reward ratio. So if you are pressed on time, then you can likely ignore GIPS and study subjects with a much higher effort to reward ratio.

If you’re really pressed for time, then sure roll the dice. But if you can devote even just 5 hours on GIPS, I’d highly recommend it. You’d greatly reduce your risk of a 0-1/6 and probably land in the 3-4/6 range. Especially since this test is only given once a year and the margin of error is so small. I personally left no stone unturned. The law of diminishing returns is also at play here - it takes many more study hours to get that 6th question in an item set correct than it takes to get the 4th or 5th.

Just went through GIPS for the first time yesterday. It’s odd that there are no requirements for calculations in the LOS (Schweser even mentions this point), but the EOCs have questions that require calcs. Guess we’re not getting out of learning these formulas. Oh well…

No way. You have to go through it, that’s my advice

study everything. why would you not?

Bump

It’s the worst and it’s not worth skipping. Some of the stuff gets repetitive and you should be able to score some points by reading it. Just think if you’re right around MPS then 3/6 or 4/6 is going to help you a lot more than 0/6 or 1/6.

It’s the worst and it’s not worth skipping. Some of the stuff gets repetitive and you should be able to score some points by reading it. Just think if you’re right around MPS then 3/6 or 4/6 is going to help you a lot more than 0/6 or 1/6.

That’s a great point! I just quickly looked at the LOS for GIPS and they either say “Explain” or “Identify”. Does that mean the equations are only there to provide context for either explaining or identifying or are they fair game?

I hated GIPS but after doing some item sets, I begin to like GIPS because it’s easier to get marks and take less time to answer compared to other topics (Derivatives, FI, …)

But for people who lack time, you can skip GIPS because of its time-consuming and low chance occurring.

PS: attention, but if you have gambler’s fallacy bias, there is high probability that we have GIPS on the exam :neutral_face:. So I don’t know.

I honestly think GIPS is one of the easiest topics on the exam. I’d advise against skipping it since as others have mentioned, spend a few hours reading the chapter and doing the questions and you’ll start to find it pretty routine to get 4 or 5 of the questions right.

Also, GIPS has been an essay topic before, and it’s been a long time since it has so…maybe we’re due?

And maybe the coin remembers that it’s come up heads five times in succession.

:wink:

Clearly the coin always knows! :slight_smile:

Any consensus if equations are testable? This might tip the scales for some if they are thinking of skipping GIPS.

S2000magician, you’re opinion would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I would recommend you not skip GIPS.