is the CFA useful for i-banking?

Does the CFA mean anything to the banking world?

no if you are trying to get an ib job.

My sense is that it’s respected, but not particularly useful. The FSA in Level 1 and maybe Level 2 is probably useful, but large IBs probably figure they can train you to do it faster and better (for their needs). This is gleaned from what I’ve heard other IB people say… I’m not in IB myself.

never heard anyone say yes

You don’t need it, although some bankers have a CFA.

Is MSc finance useful? or MBA in finance? in other words, what is good educational route if you want to stick to IB rather than IM?

mba from top school

I got an ib superday interview primarily because of the CFA. A couple of VPs there had CFA’s and they respected people who did too.

Of course it is respected, as it’s something that distinguishes you from the others and says a lot about your knowledge. Also, as an investment banking associate with the charter, I may confirm that for me personally, charter helped a lot to make a move from a boutique bank to a top-tier M&A house, without an MBA of course.

NO (I wish I could increase the size of that ‘no’ to font-size=“200” and font-family=“Arial:red:bold:underline”)

if its banking you want, the MBA is the standard. Then get the coveted internship and crush it. and learn how to surf the net all day then start working @ 6pm only to leave @ 2am, shower, and come back to work.

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NO (I wish I could increase the size of that ‘no’ > to font-size=“200” and > font-family=“Arial:red:bold:underline”) This is rediculous - of course some of the material relates. It just depends on how you define the word ‘useful’, as in useful for getting the job, useful in working the job, or useful in getting promoted or switching as Neud did above.

i can’t believe we’re still seeing these kind of threads on AF.

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if its banking you want, the MBA is the standard. > Then get the coveted internship and crush it. and > learn how to surf the net all day then start > working @ 6pm only to leave @ 2am, shower, and > come back to work. Haha! This about sums it up…

CFA is not useful to get an i-banking gig, a ugrad / mba from a target school holds value. once you are in IB, and then want to go into PE/VC, then the CFA becomes valuable.

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NO (I wish I could increase the size of that ‘no’ > to font-size=“200” and > font-family=“Arial:red:bold:underline”) CFA is not useful for techies as well. In fact, it’s completely useless for techies given the surplus number of unemployed and experienced CFAs out in the marketplace. Techies should quit the CFA program and focus on fixing my computer whenever I have tech issues.

I wouldn’t ask on here as 99% of the AF population does NOT work in banking.

commstudent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wouldn’t ask on here as 99% of the AF population > does NOT work in banking. maybe true, but all our friends do. so we know the stories papa. when i leave work to slam peronis and watch The Hills, they are still banging out comps and ordering food to the desk. I rather be poorer and happy than rich and on Xanax. boom goes the dynamite.

Are you in IT? daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > commstudent Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I wouldn’t ask on here as 99% of the AF > population > > does NOT work in banking. > > > maybe true, but all our friends do. so we know the > stories papa. when i leave work to slam peronis > and watch The Hills, they are still banging out > comps and ordering food to the desk. I rather be > poorer and happy than rich and on Xanax. boom goes > the dynamite.

commstudent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are you in IT? > > yeah right.