It is hard to get a job if you are not local

I realized that it is challenging to get a job out of state since it seems so easy for HR to just call a local and hire him or her. What do you guys think about that?

anybody

Yes, when I was moving to Chicago I gave up and moved without a job and then waitressed until I found something. Sadly, I think the waitress gig paid more than my first job.

is it becuase HR afraid to be asked about relocation cost or they just prefer to hire locals and support local universities grads?

I think they are afraid you won’t really move or aren’t serious about retention? The whole relocation question was always so stupid to me. Um, right out of college, I am coming to YOU, why would you relocate me?

Guys, it’s much harder to find any decent job with J1 or F1 visa here in the US…this people are f***ed up)

amber , what job did you get if you do not mind asking?

>I think they are afraid you won’t really move or aren’t serious about retention? Agree.

does not make sense since you are the one who applied for the position since they shoud assume you have not problem of relocating. Whatever

HR’s job is to screen you out, not screen you in.

hahahaha you are funny but i bet it is the truth

I worked for a small money manager reconciling the statements that came in from the banks with the internal system. Among other terribly mundane things. In fact, at one point my boss called me “fax b*&ch”.

amberpower Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- In fact, at one point my boss called me fax b*&ch". Did you tell him off? I would give someone a verbal bitch slapping if they tried to do that to me, boss or not. Then again, I’m not really afraid of getting fired, either.

Well, I stuck it to HER pretty well in the way I left. We will leave it at that. :slight_smile:

amberpower Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well, I stuck it to HER pretty well in the way I > left. That’s hot.

Giggity

Leave it to you guys…

I would say that it is true… Take it from someone that just moved from CA to MA

any suggestions on how to deal with this obvious problem? For example, state familly address in the targeted area or call headhunter and state that you do not want relocation package and ready to move whenever they need you. What do you guys think?

ssdnola Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > any suggestions on how to deal with this obvious > problem? For example, state familly address in the > targeted area or call headhunter and state that > you do not want relocation package and ready to > move whenever they need you. > > What do you guys think? I think that’s about the best you can do, yeah. And have a convincing reason for wanting to relocate. I think any time you can connect a face (or even just a voice) to a resume, you are better off. If you can get through to a recruiter and tell them about your story and why you want to relocate, that is better than just firing off random resumes and saying that you don’t need a relocation package. It helps a lot to have local people pulling for you.