Ivies and CFA

with all the talk of Ivies, i was wondering how many Ivy League school grads have to take the CFA.

Exactly 0 have to take it. Probably more than 0 do anyway.

i’m with holdside.

nobody has to take it, not just people who went to certain schools. take a look at a list of fortune 500 CEOs hardly any of them went to ivy league schools

I doubt that ivy league grads need to take the CFA charter to get into a good MBA program. But in investment management? I don’t see why they wouldn’t need to…

stern, they don’t need it because having “harvard” on your resume speaks volumes. i always read the Bios in the businessweek section and it appears that a lot of the CEOs or captains do come from Ivy League schools. but that is from a very limited set of data.

are you talking about ivy as in the conference or top 15 schools. plenty of schools that are hard to get into but are not in the “ivy league” duke, stanford, cal tech, chicago, mit, etc… anyhow, ivy/top schools gets you a good gig right out of school and carries a little weight after 5 years but after 20 years, it’s not about what school you went to. not many forturne 500 CEOs with less then 20 years of exp.

actually most industries make it tough for ivy league grads there are only a few areas in financial services that really accept them it’s better in my opinion to come from a quality state school or a liberal arts school only the upper crust has heard of to be successful one has to work well with the “other half” and be perceived as a good guy. it’s tough to do that when people assume you’re an ivy league snob

MFE Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > are you talking about ivy as in the conference or > top 15 schools. > > plenty of schools that are hard to get into but > are not in the “ivy league” > > duke, stanford, cal tech, chicago, mit, etc… > > anyhow, ivy/top schools gets you a good gig right > out of school and carries a little weight after 5 > years but after 20 years, it’s not about what > school you went to. not many forturne 500 CEOs > with less then 20 years of exp. who said MIT is not an ivy?

bmw, “Ivy League” refers to an athletic conference, comprised of Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, and Brown, and Princeton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_league

bmwhype Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MFE Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > are you talking about ivy as in the conference > or > > top 15 schools. > > > > plenty of schools that are hard to get into but > > are not in the “ivy league” > > > > duke, stanford, cal tech, chicago, mit, etc… > > > > anyhow, ivy/top schools gets you a good gig > right > > out of school and carries a little weight after > 5 > > years but after 20 years, it’s not about what > > school you went to. not many forturne 500 CEOs > > with less then 20 years of exp. > > who said MIT is not an ivy? it’s not. look it up. there are 8 “ivy league conference” Brown, Dartmouth, UPenn, Cornell, Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, Yale

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > actually most industries make it tough for ivy > league grads > there are only a few areas in financial services > that really accept them > it’s better in my opinion to come from a quality > state school > or a liberal arts school only the upper crust has > heard of > to be successful one has to work well with the > “other half” and be perceived as a good guy. it’s > tough to do that when people assume you’re an ivy > league snob i don’t think one can be worst off giong to Ivy versus state schools. you get the best jobs coming out of the top schools point blank. i dont’ think there is any benefit from going to a state school versus ivy, but then again, i’m not american, but it doesn’t make sense.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Danteshek Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > actually most industries make it tough for ivy > > league grads > > there are only a few areas in financial > services > > that really accept them > > it’s better in my opinion to come from a > quality > > state school > > or a liberal arts school only the upper crust > has > > heard of > > to be successful one has to work well with the > > “other half” and be perceived as a good guy. > it’s > > tough to do that when people assume you’re an > ivy > > league snob > > i don’t think one can be worst off giong to Ivy > versus state schools. you get the best jobs coming > out of the top schools point blank. i dont’ think > there is any benefit from going to a state school > versus ivy, but then again, i’m not american, but > it doesn’t make sense. well, i guess they can be worse off if they don’t like their experience at the school, but from a credentials point of view, you are right. i think some people have prejudices against top tier schools, but there are normal people there too…not everyone there is snobby. i mean, it is possible to be intellectually accomplished and good at pretty much everything they do while also being a normal social person

Total education cost for me: $40,000 Total education cost for my peers at work: $200,000 Salary: exact same

A lot of people who go to the top schools become very arrogant and overly ambitious. At harvard an inordinate number of people think that they will be president of the united states or CEO or similar. When they get a real job either they realize that their expectations are out of whack with reality and “get real”, or they keep living in a cloud. Twenty years later the cloud dwellers become depressed and start searching for excuses for their lack of success. Often this is accompanied by divorce. I have three immediate family members who went to harvard, and had I gone, I would have been 6th generation. I am very familiar with the phenomenon.

a friend of mine is a math major from harvard (or was, he’s older now) and also is a CFA…granted he studied about 40 hours per exam to my 400…so some of the ivies take it…

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Total education cost for me: $40,000 > Total education cost for my peers at work: > $200,000 > Salary: exact same Salary after they start tapping alumni networks… I didn’t go to an Ivy. I don’t have anything against them. If you (not kkent, the royal you) don’t recognize the benefits of going to one, you’re in denial. Are they a prereq for success? Absolutely not. I can’t understand the inferiority complex that comes out on this board every time someone brings up Ivy schools.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FrankArabia Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Danteshek Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > actually most industries make it tough for > ivy > > > league grads > > > there are only a few areas in financial > > services > > > that really accept them > > > it’s better in my opinion to come from a > > quality > > > state school > > > or a liberal arts school only the upper crust > > has > > > heard of > > > to be successful one has to work well with > the > > > “other half” and be perceived as a good guy. > > it’s > > > tough to do that when people assume you’re an > > ivy > > > league snob > > > > i don’t think one can be worst off giong to Ivy > > versus state schools. you get the best jobs > coming > > out of the top schools point blank. i dont’ > think > > there is any benefit from going to a state > school > > versus ivy, but then again, i’m not american, > but > > it doesn’t make sense. > > > well, i guess they can be worse off if they don’t > like their experience at the school, but from a > credentials point of view, you are right. i think > some people have prejudices against top tier > schools, but there are normal people there > too…not everyone there is snobby. i mean, it is > possible to be intellectually accomplished and > good at pretty much everything they do while also > being a normal social person True. However what matters here is perception, not whether the person is normal (which he very well may be).

bmwhype Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MFE Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > are you talking about ivy as in the conference > or > > top 15 schools. > > > > plenty of schools that are hard to get into but > > are not in the “ivy league” > > > > duke, stanford, cal tech, chicago, mit, etc… > > > > anyhow, ivy/top schools gets you a good gig > right > > out of school and carries a little weight after > 5 > > years but after 20 years, it’s not about what > > school you went to. not many forturne 500 CEOs > > with less then 20 years of exp. > > who said MIT is not an ivy? Ivy leagues are basically your oldest schools in U.S. history. Thus, they’re located around the east coast before manifest destiny, around the earlier established towns such as NY, NJ, CT, PA, MA, and RI. Ivy leagues schools are referred as such because of their history and not prestige. If you go by prestige, I agree, MIT, Stanford, U Chicago etc. are on par with Ivy’s education.