JDV

We regularly bring speakers in for sessions at my masters program at villanova and I was wondering if you’d be interested.

What do you want me to talk about?

Your gaming experience, probably.

Here here mspass. With emphasis on his Halo 3 Slayer match skill set. Willy

If that’s the case, I should just send my son Nick. Nick is a Slayer bad-ass.

Whatever you think would be a good topic for MSF students looking at the current market. We’re a little talked out on the how’s and whys of the credit crisis, but if you have a different spin on the situation, or just a topic you think is relevent, that would be great. I figure you’d get like an hour and fifteen minutes (a class period). Maybe talk like 35 minutes on what you do and insights into the current state of the hedge fund industry. Then use the remainder for whatever you want.

If Joey speaks, where can I purchase tickets??

It’d be interesting to go into what areas of finance are still relevant and likely to rise from the ashes. I know Joey likes to point out (and I’d agree) that securitization is a great financial technology that is currently going through something equivalent to the trials of adolescent excess right now. So a picture of what is still worth remembering and applying right now. There are also other areas of finance that got lost in the shuffle of enthusiasm for structuring everything. I remember a great post about a year ago where he brought up a few issues. The one I remember best was that we still need to have good models of underlying assets, not just their derivatives, but there were other areas too. That would provide a sense of optimism that the MFE degree is still useful and would certainly be well received.

I already got the tickets mailed from www.stubhub.com, Row-4J, Bartley Business Information Center - The serve hot samosas there in that 15 minute break.

Maybe bchadwick and I should do a tag team? Be fun…

I could definitely work out spaces for you guys to come speak. If it’s both you and bchadwick you would probably want more time right? It’s a small program of 22 students, but they’d definitely be interested.

JoeyDVivre and bchadwick could talk about how the efficient markets hypothesis is the holy grail and true across all time frames and asset classes. Also, how neat, abstract, and idealized mathematical truths subjugate and trump human emotions all the time. LOL.

I’m booking my ticket from nyc right.

“Whatever you think would be a good topic for MSF students looking at the current market”. What about… Never listen to an MSF because they [along with their smarter buddies from the Ph.D. program] - arguably - were the ones who caused this mess. Willy

lol. classic.

I don’t know what I could say to an MFE crowd, really. They probably do more serious statistics than I do and have better overall math skills (or at least more up-to-date ones). On those topics, I’d probably come up looking a little silly. Perhaps I can offer to some economic insights into things, but that would require some kind of context to think through and present. I’m not sure if that’s going really to help MFE folks all that much. Joey has years of experience in risk management, which definitely would employ people with MFE skills, and probably can offer some useful insights into how the industry might react to the current crisis. However, if I can think of something useful to say, and the logistics work, I’d be willing to come present.

bchadwick, i believe the villanova program is an MSF, which has a lot less stats than an MFE. you might not be off the hook yet!

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t know what I could say to an MFE crowd, > really. They probably do more serious statistics > than I do and have better overall math skills (or > at least more up-to-date ones). On those topics, > I’d probably come up looking a little silly. > Perhaps I can offer to some economic insights into > things, but that would require some kind of > context to think through and present. I’m not > sure if that’s going really to help MFE folks all > that much. > > Joey has years of experience in risk management, > which definitely would employ people with MFE > skills, and probably can offer some useful > insights into how the industry might react to the > current crisis. > > However, if I can think of something useful to > say, and the logistics work, I’d be willing to > come present. I think we should do tag team - it would be fun. "They probably do more serious statistics than I do and have better overall math skills (or at least more up-to-date ones). " - aw, crap - they’re students which means they are surviving from one chapter to the next.

TheChad Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If Joey speaks, where can I purchase tickets?? Yeah where do we buy tickets for this tag team presentation?

I think two of you can talk about importance of critical thinking, questioning model assumptions and understanding their limitations. Most of the time people fresh out of college think they know everything and often misuse what they know.