Jefferies: Don't Work Here

So I’ve been looking for a job and interviewing with a number of firms. About two weeks ago I get a call back from Jefferies. I don’t know too much about the firm, but it has a decent reputation and their research is pretty good. We schedule an interview and they cancel on me with less than 24 hours of notice. Not a good sign, but hey, stuff happens. We reschedule and this time they are NOT EVEN IN THE OFFICE during our scheduled interview time. No call, no warning, nothing – they just dropped the ball. I call in today, and they tell me they are moving on with other candidates. Who does that? I’m not even mad – this is probably a blessing in disguise. If they treat their candidates this way, I can’t even imagine how they treat their employees. Just thought I would pass this on to you guys so you know not to work at Jefferies. Oh, an I am sure it was not an issue of qualifications. If you took my resume and wrote a job description from it, it would like the description they wrote for this job. Amazingly unprofessional Jefferies, my hat is off to you.

Is this Jefferies in TX?

Job was in SF office.

I had a friend intern in TX. He said some of the managment were some of the biggest @ssholes he’s ever met. It was a short internship.

LOL – funny you should mention Jefferies. Curiously, in April 2008, we had a thread here about best/worst interview questions. I recounted a certain experience I had while interviewing with Jefferies for a banking job while I was a senior in college: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,691641,693211#msg-693211 “Re: Best/worst interview questions Posted by: numi (IP Logged) [hide posts from this user] Date: April 29, 2008 11:00AM Some VP at Jefferies investment banking: “Close your eyes and envision yourself as an investment banking analyst…walk me through your day, starting with the type and scent of coffee you have in the morning” Me: “Hm, I’d really prefer to answer this question with my eyes open.” (My interview didn’t go particularly well, but I can live with that. The girl I was dating at the time did get the offer but told me that some of the stuff the VP said to her during her interview were teetering the border of harassment.)”

Great story, numi. After this happened, I sent an email out to a number of friends in the industry and I already have a few hits back from people talking about similarly lame experiences with Jefferies, although none of them top the eyes closed question (LOL!). It sounds like an an incredibly classy organization.

“I’d really prefer to answer this question with my eyes open” CLASSIC!!!

In any case, bromion, farley013 also wanted me to communicate to you that it’s not such a bad thing that things didn’t work out at Jefferies. He said he had a similar experience at Amaranth before they blew up. Also, I know a handful of people at Jefferies that are either associates or analysts on the banking side, and the vast majority of junior bankers got let go a couple months ago before bonus time because the firm’s banking business had been suffering due to the downturn. Anyway, just wanted to pass the message along. Apparently farley013 has been banned from the forum but I don’t know the reasons for it yet. Does anyone else here know why? It doesn’t really make sense to me, unless I missed something.

lol, farley was banned? why? i liked his posts.

Farley worked at Amaranth?

farley was banned? That’s a real loss to the forum…what happened?

Anyone have a work email that they could donate to farley? Set him up a new id, confirm the email, then let him change the password?

“Anyone have a work email that they could donate to farley? Set him up a new id, confirm the email, then let him change the password?” What?

How can you tell if someone is banned?

Someone would have to give their nonfree email address to Farley. He would set up his user info, then that person would simply need to confirm the AF email that gets sent. Thats all.

Why does it have to be a “nonfree” email address?

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In any case, bromion, farley013 also wanted me to > communicate to you that it’s not such a bad thing > that things didn’t work out at Jefferies. He said > he had a similar experience at Amaranth before > they blew up. Also, I know a handful of people at > Jefferies that are either associates or analysts > on the banking side, and the vast majority of > junior bankers got let go a couple months ago > before bonus time because the firm’s banking > business had been suffering due to the downturn. Good to know. As I said before, this is probably for the best. I think the only healthy attitude to have as a candidate or employee in this business is that respect is required–it’s not optional. If Jefferies is going to disrespect me before I even work there, why bother? There are much better employers out there. > Anyway, just wanted to pass the message along. > Apparently farley013 has been banned from the > forum but I don’t know the reasons for it yet. > Does anyone else here know why? It doesn’t really > make sense to me, unless I missed something. Bummer. It seems like there has been a crack down lately by the AF management.

Turkish - I’d assume to cut down on spammers.

Sombody probably went crying to Chad that Farley013 hurt their feelings. Too bad, Farley013 was an entertaining and knowledgeable poster. I’m sure bostonkev, I mean CAFicianado, won’t shed be shedding any tears.

I think we should bring farley013 back. I think anyone that took offense to whatever farley013 said needs to develop thicker skin. This is finance, not kindergarten. Besides, most of what he said (when he was serious) was true, including the hyperinflation in Zimbabwe.