June 2010 Level I'ers

Hi everyone. This is my first post on the forum as well. I work in corporate finance and just finished my MBA (walking this Saturday actually). It’s been a goal of mine for a while to get the CFA designation so I figured I’d go after it while I’m still in the student mindset and before I have kids. I’m currently using the CFA Institute material to study. I might be able to get 50% off of some of the Stalla material. Is it worth it?

Seminoles26 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi everyone. This is my first post on the forum > as well. I work in corporate finance and just > finished my MBA (walking this Saturday actually). > It’s been a goal of mine for a while to get the > CFA designation so I figured I’d go after it while > I’m still in the student mindset and before I have > kids. I’m currently using the CFA Institute > material to study. I might be able to get 50% off > of some of the Stalla material. Is it worth it? I have solved all the passmaster 3000+ questions, read all their books more than 3-4 times… They are good to give you a start, its very difficult to start with the CFA readings. Olinto is super but you have to graduate to the CFA books to the original CFA books after some time particularly for Eco, fixed inc. and quant, because there was less correlation between the Stallas question set and the exam questions appearing in Dec 09. They are good as a knowledge base but still you are not immune to any errors even after doing everything in their books You should use their FSA books though they are concise and you cant revise through the CFA books for this subject because they have given so many of real examples which serve of little use when the application of it would surely consume all of your 6 months time of prep. Still you will need to see some things like ARO in the original book, so you would need to blend. Personally I think Parkin and Fabozzi are the best SME’s available… period…

Officially a Level 1 canidate looking forward to this June. I’m a senior at University of Missouri, majoring in Accounting and Business Administration - Finance.

Have registered for exam twice in the past but have never got round to taking it for work / travel purposes. Qualified accountant, 5 yrs experience. Toronto area…

jatboy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi, > I am preparing for the June’10 exam.Graduated > from college this year(Commerce).I am through with > Quants,Eco and first two study sessions of > FRA.Although i have both stalla and schweser ,I am > using CFA curriculum exclusively for prepration. You have Stalla AND Schweser? How much are you spending on prep materials?

jatboy, if Im not wrong u were here for December 09 right?

varundarji Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jatboy, if Im not wrong u were here for December > 09 right? Hey varun…no dude…i am up for june’10…have been on this forum for quite some time now.

devildog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jatboy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hi, > > I am preparing for the June’10 > exam.Graduated > > from college this year(Commerce).I am through > with > > Quants,Eco and first two study sessions of > > FRA.Although i have both stalla and schweser ,I > am > > using CFA curriculum exclusively for > prepration. > > > You have Stalla AND Schweser? How much are you > spending on prep materials? A LOT.

I’m writing in June 2010. This will be my 2nd attempt after failing previously in 2008. However, I know what it takes to be sucessful so I’m much more confidend now. As for prep material, I am using the CFAI notes for readings, and using Schweser to suplement as a secondary read and for their problems. I’ve enrolled in the Passing the CFA Level 1 course at University of Toronto tought by Michael Hlinka aswell. The course has been running already 8 weeks and were already through Ethics, Quants, and Econ. This course is EXCELLENT in my oppinion. The instructor provides audio pre-lessons for each study session, aswell as his own notes for each reading individually highlighting the points which he believes are more important, and thus will be the most likely tested. Anyways, I’m glad to see others are as excited about June 2010 as I am. Have a great holiday season all. See you guys soon on the forums! Matt

Hello all! First time posting here. Graduated in May with a degree in Finance. Taking L1 in June. Been away for a little while so havent officially started studying up until now. Looking forward to working with everyone here! Lots of luck to all! :slight_smile:

Ruby, good luck with the studying. Might join you guys if I fail the dec exam. Nuppal, I think you should be in charge of Rubys orientation

Ruby527, As a right of initiation onto AF, you have to add me on facebook. If you’re a dude, thats optional.

Also, Sundusg, when will you be out of the house so I can come by and collect my belongings from my shattered dreams?

lol. I already sent a little pick up truck. Don’t bother

Whatever, keep that crap. Everything I own is in the box to the left…

to the left, to the left

First Post, taking Level I in June, first time. Background of MBA / Finance, Mutual Fund Industry with 9-10 years experence. Look forward to getting/providing help if I can. Also looking for a study group in the Pittsburgh Area… Good Luck.

Have a good Christmas break everyone. Monday onwards, I shall be more active on the forum hopefully.

Graduated in May (general business degree) and starting my career as an analyst. I’ve been going through the curriculum to supplement what I’ve seen at my job so far, but going to start studying regularly after the new year!

I will have no one to kiss at midnight on new years.