June 2010 Level I'ers

I’m writing June 2010 level 1 in London while doing my MSc in Finance I feel old and I’m 24 GEEEEZ

Danah, meet nuppal. He’s older than you are

In age, but not in wisom and mental grit. This advance in age can only come from having your heart broken in a violent and destructive fashion. Sundusg_, meet Brittany Murphy, she died, kind of like what happened to what we had.

Hi all, Taking L1 in June, first time posting as well. Graduated from undergrad in May 2009 Accounting and Finance. Currently working for a bank in an operations program. Began studying Monday. Was going to exclusively use the CFA curriculum but everyday I study more and think that Schwesser or Stella might cut down on the unnecessary reading. Thoughts?

I hope I won’t be a June 2010er, on level 1

gcgrossm Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi all, > > Taking L1 in June, first time posting as well. > Graduated from undergrad in May 2009 Accounting > and Finance. Currently working for a bank in an > operations program. > > Began studying Monday. Was going to exclusively > use the CFA curriculum but everyday I study more > and think that Schwesser or Stella might cut down > on the unnecessary reading. > > Thoughts? Welcome! I initially read through the entirety of the CFA texts. Started mid-June and finished on the last day of August, reading about 2.5 hours a night and doing EOC’s. I decided that Schweser would help me due to the testimonials on here. I found that reading through the CFAI texts first then adding a metaphorical wax filler to smooth over the cracks (schweser) worked well. I think that Qbank and the extra practice exams really benefit you and prepare you for the exam mentally. I think a good strategy would be to get schweser and to read the CFAI texts WHILE reading schweser. Something like this; Read the Schweser chapter to get a solid base level of understanding, then read the CFAI chapter to get into the granular detail and gain a more profound level of knowledge. The problem with this system is that it is VERY time consuming and won’t leave much in the way for a thurough review. I think you could re-read Schweser but not really any more CFAI texts. Finally, this system would also ensure that you don’t skip over material and you can get a good grasp of what CFAI will focus on.

I’m a returning Level I’er. Sat in June of '08 and didn’t pass. FSA killed me, ECON didn’t help either. Had to put things on hold for awhile (got married etc.). So now I’m back and determined to pass. I’m using Schweser and will probably be pretty active in the forum. Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone, first post on AF. I am registered to take the L1 exam in June 10. I have been working in the mutual fund industry for the past 5 years, however on the IT side of things. Trying to make a switch to the investment management side. Planning on using the CFAI material along with Schweser. Here is the study plan I came up with. - use the first three months (Jan - March) to complete the the CFAI material (all in chapter examples and EOC questions also). - use April for revision using the Schweser material as main source and supplement that with CFAI material - use May for qbank and exams and review weak areas based on qbank and exam performance. I can squeeze 2-3 hours of study time on weekdays (Mon-Thur, plan to take Fridays off to avoid burnout) and about 5-7 hours on weekends. Any thoughts on the above plan will be much appreciated. @nuppal - Did you feel that the 2.5 - 3 months you took to finish the CFAI material too aggressive a timeframe? The reason I ask is because I have an engineering background with basic finance/econ exposure, I am not sure I can finish all the CFAI material (with a good level of understanding) in three months. Thank you and Good luck everyone.

@ Praj, I studied stats/finance in college so I was familiar with most of the concepts. However, CFAI goes into much more detail than any of my classes in ALL of the subjects. your best bet is to try and knock out 25-30 pages a night and MAKE SURE you understand whats being covered. I do not think I passed and made the mistake of taking too long on the CFAI texts and getting schweser too late. At the end of the day though it’s still ME who failed, not my study system…

Thank you for replying nuppal. I have a follow up question if you don’t mind me picking your brain. By “getting to schweser too late” do you mean getting to the schweser qbank and questions too late? Thanks again.

Hello everyone, I’m taking L1 (again), tried Dec '08 and had to take some time off. I have 6+ years of experience and I am taking the exam to move into a front office role. I just started my in depth studying today and feeling good so far. Best of luck to everyone. m

Hello All, I’ll be taking the CFA Level I for the first time this June. My plan right now is to primarily use the CFAI texts and use Schweser study guides as a supplement, as well as a Question bank. I graduated in finance in May and am now getting my Masters in finance for the next year. I look forward to trudging through the next six months along with everyone on this forum. Happy New Year to All

I’ll be there for the 3rd time. This time it’s for real. Going to be here for motivation and to help stay on track.

Hey everybody, I have had my bloody books for 3 months now and havent even opened them yet. So sad. Anyways, with a new year upon us I will be giving it my all to study and pass the Level I with all you guys. Good luck to you all and happy new years. G Oh, btw, im from Orange County, CA

They say “bloody” in the OC? lol…

LOL! No, I just had a british boss who said bloody all the time so I just kinda picked up on that. I say “hella” which is northern California term because that’s where I initially came from.

Hey Shell how’s it going? I am located in the Bay Area and was hoping to get a small study group together. Would you be interested in joining? Send me an email at harsh.singh08@gmail.com. Thanks, HS

bball24, good idea. Any Chicago L1 June candidates holler at me. I wouldn’t mind setting up a study group here. I work in the Loop. m

Hi all, From Houston, Texas. Hoping to start this weekend.

hey all, i failed (band 9) back in june 09. this is my second time around. just registered for june 10 and getting ready to take on the cfa stress and anxiety again (lol). good luck everyone