June 2011

Dear All, CFA has just opened June 2011. I have just registered and i am hoping the materials will come within the next two weeks. Regards, Namh

Best of luck Niamh. Are you Irish?

Good luck niamh23. If you are new to finance, then you should take your time studying the materials. I think you’re doing a good thing by preparing early as long as you’re doing a job.

Hey Soddy, yes i am Irish. Economics and Finance was my Major at college and i have been working for a hedge fund administrator for the last two years. Work can be pretty crazy so i think its best to start as early as possible. Any study pointers would be much appreciated. Regards, Niamh

It is a small box. Your first reaction will be positive. Then you open the box and see a handful of books. Still ok. You think: how much work can this be? And then you’ll see how many pages fit into that tiny box. And you don’t understand but they are there. :slight_smile:

niamh23 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey Soddy, yes i am Irish. Economics and Finance > was my Major at college and i have been working > for a hedge fund administrator for the last two > years. > > Work can be pretty crazy so i think its best to > start as early as possible. > > Any study pointers would be much appreciated. > > Regards, > > Niamh Hi Niamh, I’m based in the IFSC. Starting early is good, although I advise against hitting the books hard for the first few months. You’ll just get fed up with it. I treated it the same as a college year. A little before Christmas, a lot after Christmas. Hit quant first because it feeds into everything else. I left Ethics completely until February and I read it three times in total before the exam. Apart from that, level 1 is all about drilling questions. SS9 is pretty rough also for level 1. Good luck. And woops is right. It’s unbelievable what CFAI manage to fit into that box.

@soddy1979: How did you figure out he/she is Irish?

hey mustafa, niamh is an irish girls name. opened the very small box today…the pages are so thin!!! i will take your advise on ethics and try read three times…i have the time so why not… Soddy do you know any other candidates on here that are irish or based in dublin?

hey niamh, I have registered for june 2011 too. In my case a little dificulty will be that my english is quite poor and i need to spend much more time to prepare appropriately. But it’s still over 10 months and only 3295 pages :wink: so I belive that there won’t be any problems for those who start lerning so early.

Shipping weight is 18 pounds!!

woops Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It is a small box. Your first reaction will be > positive. Then you open the box and see a handful > of books. Still ok. You think: how much work can > this be? And then you’ll see how many pages fit > into that tiny box. And you don’t understand but > they are there. :slight_smile: defone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Shipping weight is 18 pounds!! That tiny box contains 18 pounds (8.16 kg) of super-compacted books, you can imagine its physical density must be very high. (Re: Density = Mass (kg) per unit volume (metre^3) ) You can smash someone’s head with that small box like a big piece of brick. And, the information density is high too. Think how 74 chapters, 18 study sessions, 6 months of study can stuff inside 18 pounds of books and inside a tiny small box. That’s why they offer the choice of intangible and weightless ebook over the heavy brick.

niamh23 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Soddy do you know any other candidates on here > that are irish or based in dublin? There are a few, but they have been quiet for a while. I have a good few friends and colleagues in the program, but most aren’t AF regulars. Have you registered with the CFA Ireland society? They host functions & presentations regularly, which are great for networking and meeting other candidates. Shoot me a mail at cfasod at g mail dot com if you want any more info.

I think receiving the books is the best part. But studying them is the hardest one. =)

hello everyone!, i’m new here from Singapore!..Just received my books for June 2011 Exam…so excited abt it…

Lets see if you can keep that same level of excitement over the course of the next 10-11 months…

Jay5150 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Lets see if you can keep that same level of > excitement over the course of the next 10-11 > months… +1

Jay5150 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Lets see if you can keep that same level of > excitement over the course of the next 10-11 > months… hahaa…hopefully i can…

Greetings from Norway. Have also just recived my pack for June 2011 … making an early start !!

Midnightoil Just wondering how many hours you plan to devote weekly? Started with ethics last night, hoping to get 5 hours in during the week and then 10 at the weekend. In Jan i will bump it up to 20 a week

Hi Niamh, I guess I will aim to 5-10 hrs a week for the remainder of the year. This means I should have been through the entire curriculum by xmas. Perhaps then I will purchase some other study materials to use in 2011 prior to the exam. Of course these numbers could fluctuate as a result of my workload in the office.