Just curious: Youngest to complete all 3 levels?

Youngest charter would have to be four years out of school nowadays, unless you’re dougie howser and graduating when you’re 12, the youngest charterholders would like be 24-25. If that’s the case I’ll feel pretty good if I can get mine this August.

i agree with akanska. y’all need to chill

good friend of mine just passed level 3 at 26 and has charter. He had to retake level III so could of passed all 3 at 25 but he just got the work exp this year.

Maybe i was a bit hard on him. just wanted to rant.

A friend of mine just wrote L3, pending that he passes he will be a charterholder within a year. Edit: He is 23.

rohufish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’m really not sure what some 22 yr old who has > not even saved their first 10k, or dealt with org > politics, or experienced their first job / career > change, or marriage, or parenthood, or home > ownership, or led a large team of differently > abled/skilled individuals, etc etc. could possibly > gain out of the L3 exam. sure, they may pass it, > but they’ll have no context on so much stuff. ok, > L1 and L2 is mostly theoretical, so anyone can > learn this stuff, hard as it may be. But L3 is a > very rich, complex, subjective set of materials > which require a lot of thought and insight to > really master. > > ideally, if you don’t care about doing all 3 > together, i’d do L1 and L2 early, work 4 years, > and take L3 when you’re eligible for the charter. > you’d get so much more out of L3. Have to agree here. On the experience front as well as with respect to eligibility. I plan on doing level 1 and 2 and taking time off until my work experience requirement has been rubber stamped by CFAI. I’m not passing level 3 and waiting two or three years to get my just dessert.

http://cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/advantage/06nov/chr_pro.html one of the youngest- age 22. but who cares… it’s not like anyone knows him.

thats crazy . good for him

I should have had the charter at 24, but it took the CFA institute 9 months to approve my work experience. Dont think that makes me a badass though.

psh…I passed all 3 lvls at age 10, but I couldn’t get a job cause I wasn’t legal to take clients to strip clubs. The only person who passed it at a younger age is Chuck Norris, I think he did it at age 2 before he taught Benjamin Graham how to invest. …Who really cares… Step 1) Pass lvl 1 on the first try in December Step 2) Pass lvl 2 6 months after lvl 1 Step 3) Write lvl 3, then you start dreaming about being a young ass charterholder.

rohufish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’m really not sure what some 22 yr old who has > not even saved their first 10k, or dealt with org > politics, or experienced their first job / career > change, or marriage, or parenthood, or home > ownership, or led a large team of differently > abled/skilled individuals, etc etc. could possibly > gain out of the L3 exam. What do these things have to do with L3? Nothing. If you are trying to argue that someone has to have experienced life and be mature to really gain the benefit of L3, then age is irrelevant to that discussion. I do agree though that trying to jam three levels of material into your brain without relevant professional experience (totally different from the things you listed) is not that helpful. But then again, neither is a finance degree. Experience > everything else.

rohufish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’m really not sure what some 22 yr old who has > not even saved their first 10k, or dealt with org > politics, or experienced their first job / career > change, or marriage, or parenthood, or home > ownership, or led a large team of differently > abled/skilled individuals, etc etc. could possibly > gain out of the L3 exam. sure, they may pass it, > but they’ll have no context on so much stuff. ok, > L1 and L2 is mostly theoretical, so anyone can > learn this stuff, hard as it may be. But L3 is a > very rich, complex, subjective set of materials > which require a lot of thought and insight to > really master. > > ideally, if you don’t care about doing all 3 > together, i’d do L1 and L2 early, work 4 years, > and take L3 when you’re eligible for the charter. > you’d get so much more out of L3. Besides the point about working, the rest of this is hogwash.

Why?

It’s a fairly presumptious statement…

Agree with Etienne. I don’t own a house. That was a financial decision. It doesn’t impact my ability to understand office politics or how to manage a portfolio, or even pass an exam. In fact it demonstrates pretty decent financial skillz given the current housing environment. And decision making under constant pressure (wife going “I want to own a house” every week for 3 years). I’m married, but no kids. This is because children are evil. Again, no impact on LIII abilities.

Ah interesting. As for me, there is no way in hell I’d stopping for a few years if/when I pass Levels I and II consecutively (and if I fail Level II I’d sign up again the day I found out I failed). If there were a Level IV and Level V, I’d try to knock those off ASAP as well. If I wanted the synergistic benefit of experience + theory, then I’ll just re-order the updated Level III curriculum in 5 years and reread it at that time.

agree with CAF…knock out all 3 if you can. Never assume you will have the time or inclination to do it later.

agree about the sheer convenience of doing it 3/3 and getting it done with. but in that case, i’d start a tad later than 21. look, folks, you’re welcome to do your CFA at 18 if you want. i am only trying to help by pointing out that an Ivy grad who worked at a top VC and strategy consulting firm, went to a top biz school, still feels that he would not have gained as much out of L3 at a young age. if that info is useful, use it. if its ‘hogwash’ as dear beloved comrade etienne calls it, well, wash it down wherever you want. frankly, you need a few years in before you appreciate how the world really works, what will change, what is unchanging, what buttons to press, etc. you’re only going to read this stuff once in your life, you may as well make the most of it. i guarantee you that you will blow off much of the material in L3 as 'too arcane, irrelevant, ‘huh?’ material if you hit L3 too early. the examples i gave (marriage, etc.) were not to demonstrate finance knowledge, but as markers of maturity and life experience.

I am 23… just took level 3… results pending. If I fail, still two about 2 years short of work experience.

I was 27 and had the thing in my hands. Willy