Kids

Adopted children are held in higher regard than pets because people value humans over non-human animals. I wonder if society will become super liberal one day and this will be no longer true…

No, you did with your previous statement. My bad, my bro’s adopted and my fiance and I have considered that route later so probably took advantage of an anonymous forum to point out what you said…a lot of pent up frustration at similar comments made over years and years and unable to point it out without awkwardness.

Was really curious anyway, obviously my parents aren’t going to give me the straight dope on that.

i guess if you focus on the fact that i said “created” then i did…certainly wasnt any ill-will towards non-geneticly connected relatives…i apologize for not considering all sides up front

i do appreciate you explaining your rationale though…makes sense as to why it was interpreted that way

i dont consciously feel any different towards him…hes been in my life since he was 1…but the fact of the matter is that as long as his father is still in his life ill always lose to him, all things equal…and that wont happen with my own flesh and blood…and for me to say that it doesnt hold at least SOME weight would be me just trying to be a crowd pleaser…but the weight it holds is very insignificant in the grand scheme of things…as far as im concerned hes my son…but ill always know my place

The truth is that - adopted, step-, or blood relation - most parents do have favorite children if they have more than one.

Good parents strive to be fair and loving to each, despite any preferences. And they try not to make their preferences overtly obvious.

I have two older sisters and I am clearly my parents’ favorite. I don’t hold it against them though.

Also, apparently parents treat sons and daughters differently. Daughters tend to get pampered more, and receive more financial assistance from parents when they are adults.

True but varies from family to family and culture to culture. Some cultures go the other extreme and kill girls before they are even born

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Just tell your wife to take care of it - problem solved :slight_smile:

Seriously though - unless you have major external contraints like taking care of sick relatives or your own health issues (NOT money or lack thereof) - have one. It’s easily the most responsibility I have assumed (and I work on airplanes) - you are directly accountable for survival and well-being of another human being. But the reward is enormous - unconditional love. Watching them grow and play and turn from a helpless baby into a real (but short) person. Amazing.

(Counterbalance: Mine is only 4 so I shouldn’t wax so poetic, maybe I will be singing a different tune in 10 years. We will see.)

To echo bchadwick, I’ve also heard “Chilldren are but pieces of your heart walking around outside of you.”

I used to say you rip your soul out and put it inside the baby. You don’t matter anymore.Not the best attitude to have a child, but things change.

Thank you all for the inputs. I’ve been talking to a lot of people. It seems to be either the greatest thing (like some of you pointed out) or something that messes with our brains and we think it’s great. Either way the results are the same.

I don’t think there’s an easy choice, basically because it’s not possible to predict the future.

I’m actually liking the idea more and more each day, and will very likely go for it.]

PS: Even though that website BlackSwan linked (http://everything-everywhere.com) had me drooling. Maybe I’ll have the stamina and resources to do something like that when I’m older, who knows?