Kinda fr#*king out

Ok…there are 93 days before the exam. I’m enrolled in the Stalla course. Really great course. Stalla course outline Ethics Quant 1 Quant 2 Econ 1 Econ 2 FSA 1 FSA 2 etc. Currently, I’m ok with ethics. I’m behind in both Quants (Quant 1 and 2), and finished Econ 1, and kinda behind on econ 2. I will be starting FSA 1 this saturday (in 2 days!). I know have another 3 months to study and get this stuff down. But I’m already starting to get scared over this. I’m already thinking I should just write (and fail dec) and take it again in June. Question: If you were in the same situation, would you just continue with the plan and go with the schedule (even though you’re behind)? Or would you continue at your own pace and try to finish as much as you can before dec?

I’m getting really scared due to a lack of confidence!! How are you guys doing? Is there anyone who is starting to study for level 1 now (or recently?) Any advise will be helpful. Thanks!

you guys still have time, you just have to buckle down and study.

Don’t freak out, you still have plenty of time. Just use it as extra motivation to study more hours. Even if you are behind, there is still plenty of time to catch up. Good luck!

AGL23, I’m not even going to pretend I’m in the same situation because I honestly don’t have to because I am or at least pretty darn close. I completed Econ 2 last week and I’m in the front end stages of FRA (about to do practice questions on first completed study session). Listen to diceinhand, there is still enough time, but make no mistake; you should not relax because there are almost exactly 3 months. I actually had to kick it up myself a little more than a week ago as I allowed myself to get bogged down in the dirty details of QUANTS (stayed there more than 3 weeks) rather than keeping a good pace in accordance to my original study plan and returning to areas I was least comfortable with later, which will become evident when I begin my mock exams. My recommendation: Don’t freak out, but don’t relax. Despite the impressive candidates who have already gotten through the material once already or who are close to complete, there are others out there like you and I. Not an ideal spot, but you are not in trouble yet. Just buckle down and keep plowing away. I think you and I both will find a couple of months from now that things will start to click. Just don’t relax, but more importantly, dong “freak out”. As a few other posters have written, if you’re freaking out, you’re probably right on track to pass L1. Two quick quotes for you that come to mind (probably not exact since this is from recall): WINSTON CHURCHILL: “It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.” VICTORIA HOLT: “Never regret. If it’s good, it is wonderful. If it’s bad, it is simply experience.” GOOD LUCK!!!

I have only finished Equity/FI and Corp FInance. I am getting scared here

AGL23, I’ve known a few people who have passed L1 after doing only 3 months of study while working full-time, however they didn’t do it with ease. Just go as hard as you can while envisaging yourself to pass in Dec. Also don’t get bogged down in the detail (i.e. avoid using CFAI texts except for ethics)… Good luck!

life2short…thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is a really good idea to actually have that mentality in mind. Don’t freak out, but don’t relax either. I should just get though it all. Thanks for the tips guys. I am scared, but I figure, I’m going to do this anyways, so I should just get through as much as possible. Then do the test. And see what happens. Thanks again!

AGL23- With the phrase “misery loves company” in mind, I’ll share that I’m just plunging into Econ 1 tonight. I started 2-weeks ago on a bit of a whim and have been pursuing an aggressive study schedule while working full-time and trying to maintain a rather busy athletic schedule. I will admit that as a practicing CA - I’m not too concerned with some of the bigger sections like FSA and Finance - but I’m certainly feeling the pressure to get through the rest of this muck. I’ve been out of school for nearly 3 years now and I’m feeling a little sluggish getting back into this intense study groove! So take comfort that you’re at least ahead of me from a scheduling standpoint. =) Cheers and good luck… to us both!

no need to freak out buddy. I’m halfway thru FSA and halfway thru econ with the rest of the books to go …and im not using a study course…though i think maybe i should? But if im not freaking out you shouldnt be…i also have gmats n a cpa test to take …fml?

AGL23, if this will make you feel better, I have just started, only registered last week, have not even received my material, but gues what my eye is on Level 2 next year June 2010 and my immidiate challenge (not a problem) is Level 1 in Dec this year. My terget is to take it one day at the time till the 5th of December, I have set myself daily targets, and recovery strategy should I defualt, hence my excitement abt this quote from lifes2short quoting WINSTON CHURCHILL: “It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.” Good luck, lets do this

I’m in a similar situation: I’ve only completed ethics. That’s it. This can be done - just need to dedicate the time. 3 hours per weekday and 10 hours on the weekend will get you there. Buckle down and study! We’ll get there - there’s still plenty of time. Just keep the urgency alive.

I’m also in a similar situation right now and kind of releived to see others along with me. I am currently contemplating registering for the December Level 1 exam so I can set myself up to finsh Level 2 in June of 2010 and Level 3 in June of 2011. I would like to have the extra time to study and take level 1 in June of 2010, but it pushes everything out by a year, which I don’t like. I graduated with a B.S. in Finance in 2004 and am currently a Financial Advisor, but now it has been a while since I have been in a classroom. I am wondering if the material is going to be all review so then December would be fine, or do I need to give myself until June since it has been a while since I have been in school. If anyone on here has some insight into solving my dilema or is in the same situation I would love to hear about it. Thanks.

I have been studying for about 3 months now and feel like I am never going to retain all of this information. It seems to take at least two weeks to review all of the material once and by the time I get through reviewing and go back to look at something again I feel like I have never seen it before. Does anyone else feel this way?

Yes I totally feel that way - I have put in 2.5 months already and feel like I’ve retained nothing! So frustrating!

Heck, I can get through two Study Sessions and go back to the previous Study Session and be quite surprised at what has escaped my mind in that short of a period. I honestly think we will feel this way until we’ve gone through mock exams and the heightened sense of urgency that accompanies study in November. I also would not be surprised if we continue to at least feel a little inadequate on the morning of December 5th too. An uneasiness that most on this site are probably not accustomed to, but one that it sounds like we have to accept.

Best thing I have found…relax and step back for a minute. Then, look over your schedule again, make sure you haven’t missed anything and then just crack down. Its all good, it works out in the end with hard work

nsh8212 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m also in a similar situation right now and kind > of releived to see others along with me. I am > currently contemplating registering for the > December Level 1 exam so I can set myself up to > finsh Level 2 in June of 2010 and Level 3 in June > of 2011. I would like to have the extra time to > study and take level 1 in June of 2010, but it > pushes everything out by a year, which I don’t > like. I graduated with a B.S. in Finance in 2004 > and am currently a Financial Advisor, but now it > has been a while since I have been in a classroom. > I am wondering if the material is going to be all > review so then December would be fine, or do I > need to give myself until June since it has been a > while since I have been in school. If anyone on > here has some insight into solving my dilema or is > in the same situation I would love to hear about > it. Thanks. I think it is helpful to first figure out when it’s best for you to take Level 1, i.e. if you feel you need more time to prepare, then spend the extra time and do well in June. Don’t worry about Level 2, 3 before passing Level1. I was in similar boat last Sept but I knew for sure I needed more time to prepare. So I took it in June 09 and passed. Besides, Level 2 is much harder than Level 1. If I were to take Level 1 in Dec and get the result end of Jan, 4 months would not have been enough for me to prepare for Level 2.

I’m taking the Stalla classroom course and we’ve just had class #7 of 16 wrapping up FSA 2. So if you’re about in the middle of FSA I would say that’s pretty much on track. According to Stalla anyways. But I can commiserate with those stating they feel like they’re not retaining anything - I feel the same way! I’m really hoping it all comes together and sticks during review, and those passmaster questions are in the back of my head somewhere to be referenced during the exam.

im in the same boat. I’m half way through Quant using only Schweser, and was kind of freaking out too. I took a calander and scheduled in the rest of the reading assignments. I spread them out and allowed time for review and catch-up. If i follow it and keep on track I will be done within the first week in November, so i can use the rest of the time for practice exams. So far this has helped me out alot, i sugguest you do the same