Level 3 with MSc finance

Hey guys This is Omar … I have just written level 2 this June and waiting my results to be out in a month time … I’m kinda optimistic about my performance in the exam and expecting to pass it … I have a question for those who took the level 3 exam already: would it be a lot of load of studies to do level 3 with full time one-year master program in finance? the program I will be doing is MSc in finance @ imperial college of london (http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/business-school/programmes/msc-finance) any input would be appreciated OA

Depends on the workload of the program, but they’re complimentary so if you can do the program and give 15-20 hours a week and you wont burnout you should be fine. You might want to ask this question in a couple months though. The whole cart/horse dilemma.

Yeah I was thinking of getting some input prior to results and some post-results … should be interesting to see changes in people opinions lol Thanks for your input

Most people are doing Job+CFA. So, if effort in MSC Finance=Job then you should be fine doing both programs simultaneously.

Hi Kh.asif I understand that but the difference is that master + cfa will both be about studying … my concern is that I will get distracted doing one over the other Thanks for your post OA

com’on man your concern is that you will get distracted…? you will have all this time and just studying on only two things and basically no excuse…

Hi penny I know doing both simultaneously is doable but I like when I do something to do it to perfection … I have had GPA 4.0 in my undergrad and would like to keep up with outstanding performance in my post-grad … I know I can pass level 3 and pass post-grad courses but passing isn’t what I’m worried about … OA

hi Omar, I only emphasize this in case you didn’t know, as the grading system for the CFA program only distinguishes btw passing and not passing (you don’t get an A, and you don’t even know if you did). So passing is what you should be interested in.

If you don’t wanna look for a job in London and don’t wanna socialize there then do level 3

hi omar … can u plz drop me a mail on sharmags1@yahoo.com I am interested to do MSc. finance from Imperial college . Thanks …

Omar, I think you have already made up your mind. But good luck in whatever you do.

Penny: true that - thanks band10band9: work is out of question but socializing is something i wanted to do lol kh.asif: yes i did - i made up my mind to go for the program and level 3 … what i wanted is people convincing me not to do so lol hard to find OA

You generally only need about 1 month to prepare for the Level 3 exam if you have good background in derivatives. Most of the MS finance programs should cover derivatives in-depth. Therefore I believe that you should not be worrying too much. Plus, you are optimistic in level 2 and therefore it seems that you’ve had some solid background in finance already.

cfa_level3_no_plan_for_charter_yet Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You generally only need about 1 month to prepare > for the Level 3 exam if you have good background > in derivatives. Most of the MS finance programs > should cover derivatives in-depth. Therefore I > believe that you should not be worrying too much. > Plus, you are optimistic in level 2 and therefore > it seems that you’ve had some solid background in > finance already. I disagree with you. You need more than a month to prepare for the level III exam… Derivatives is probably only 5-10% of the exam, and you certainly need a few months to study for IPS, gips, ethics, derivatives, portfolio management and fixed income. If you passed the level 3 with only “ONE” month of studying, great job, but I highly doubt it anyone can pass it…I just took it this year and wished I studied a little more (started around Feb). I’ve not gotten a MS in finance (only undergrad), but based on my conversations with my co-workers and friends who got MS in finance, they still had to study their ass-off to prepare for the level II.

I spend about 1 month on level 2 and also for level 3. For a pass/fail type exam, it’s essential not to spend too much of one’s precious time on this thing. You don’t get much reward for all areas above 70%.

As I said, if you could pass level II and level III with only a month of studying, that’s great. However, I think an average guy like me definitely needs more time to prepare for the exam while working full time. That’s all.

All you need to do is to compare the program courses with the lvl 3 curriculum and also look at the timing of the final exams… if the workload is not concentrated in April-June then go ahead with the challenge!!! good luck!

diehard Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > All you need to do is to compare the program > courses with the lvl 3 curriculum and also look at > the timing of the final exams… if the workload > is not concentrated in April-June then go ahead > with the challenge!!! good luck! +10

dude you sound like a smart and motivated person. I say go for it, and come out next year winning, with both a MSc in finance from a respected insitution and having passed the CFA level 3 exam, good luck to you in your endeavours.

cfa_level3_no_plan_for_charter_yet Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I spend about 1 month on level 2 and also for > level 3. For a pass/fail type exam, it’s essential > not to spend too much of one’s precious time on > this thing. You don’t get much reward for all > areas above 70%. its always amazing when you hear someone say he passed level 2 or three while puttting a minimal amount of time, I also have a friend of mine who trades in derivatives and according to him he only put 3 weeks on level 2, and three weeks on level 3, and passed them both… people like you kinda put things into perspective a little. I wonder how long it will take people like Mr. Nassim Nicholas Taleb ( he doesnt like the CFA, let alone finance very much) to pass this test…