Liquid Lunch

Anyone else ever go out with coworkers for a drink over lunch and had it morph into an all out drinking session? Afterwards we returned to the office to shut down and bounce and it is definitely coming back to haunt me today. Anyone had similar experiences?

sure. Especially starting tomorrow with March Madness…

Went to lunch a few years ago with my boss and 2 co-workers. The boss has a pretty high tolerance and kept ordering up more drinks. I got pretty well toasted and was basically useless the rest of the day. One of my co-workers got the spins and decided to go out for some fresh air. At some point in his walk, he decided to sit down on the grass and ended up passing out (we’re in a suburban office park). We found him a couple of hours later and moved him to the back seat of his car where he slept it off until 8 or 9 that night. Needless to say, he doesn’t really appreciate it when we bring that up.

Ok, so here’s the full story… Four of us go out to celebrate a coworker’s last day (promoted to Senior analyst for another department). I’m a contract analyst, another conspirator was full time analyst and third was senior analyst for another department that is still located in the same building. We end up getting a bottle of champagne (approx 2 glasses each) and i have a drink in addition at lunch. This leads to several rounds of shots at a local bar and the lunch unintentionally becomes a four hour drinking session. So far, this isn’t really bad since it is her last day and we’re not very busy at work right now. Things became problematic when we decided to stop in at work around 4pm to close out of our workstations and grab what was left of our gear in our cubicles. The girl says bye to a few people which leads to conversations making it clear that we’re hammered. Another of the guys gets into conversations that compound the scenario. It was essentially a ten minute stop. As we go to leave I stop by a bathroom to throw up then we leave. What are the appropriate repricussions.

I still miss that 20+ pager thread by equity_research_nsd (?) of him drinking with a coworker and ‘I GOTTA FEELING -TONIGHT is a GOOD NIGHT !’ happy ending later on in the night. Some thread just inherently qualify to be official stickeys of AF-GD.

This reminds me of a question under the ethics section about a PM that goes out drinking at lunch. All his clients/co-workers know not to deal with him in the afternoon because he is drunk. lol I think it’s all good as long as you don’t start making investments decisions afterwards!

rhyme Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think it’s all good as long as you don’t start > making investments decisions afterwards! Was my thinking since we only came back to grab our stuff and bounce. Anyhow, some of us got canned for the episode.

Just hope you didn’t mistake your partner’s office for the bathroom when you threw up though.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > One of my co-workers got the spins and > decided to go out for some fresh air. At some > point in his walk, he decided to sit down on the > grass and ended up passing out (we’re in a > suburban office park). We found him a couple of > hours later and moved him to the back seat of his > car where he slept it off until 8 or 9 that night. > Needless to say, he doesn’t really appreciate it > when we bring that up. Nice.

It’s better never come back unless you were hanging out with the boss.

That’s pretty bad dude

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s better never come back unless you were > hanging out with the boss. If anything come back after everyone is gone for the day not when others are still there and may be winding down themselves. Were you canned?

I there were only 4 of you, how many got canned?

2, I was one of them. Basically the two seniors got verbals and the two analysts got to leave.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 2, I was one of them. Basically the two seniors > got verbals and the two analysts got to leave. Wow man, sorry to hear that. Lesson to everyone else though, not worth it.

What an over-reaction…

Have you thought about switching industries? Good luck getting another finance gig.

brianr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Were you canned? No, but I also knew a dude who got the boot during his first job out of undergrad because of that. Completely unnecessary.

Ouch. Bad idea to go back when people are there.