Looking for a career change

The correct usage would be to say “…will think one of two things: you’re dumb and/or you don’t give a sh*t.” A colon must be preceded by an independent clause. In other words, the clause prior to the colon should still make sense if a period were used rather than a colon.

Ah touche, I stand corrected.

Short of jumping to directly to one of the roles you mentioned (the odds of which are slim to none), an MBA from a top school is clearly your best bet. An MBA facilitates a career change and is as close as you can get to a clean slate post-undergrad. However, wiith your background, it will be (extremely) hard to get into a top school.

Considering the above, my advice:

As someone else said, find an incrementally better job than your current position. Start studying for the CFA. This will assist you in developing your ‘story’, which is very important to MBA admissions officers. Pretty much do anything that will make you a more attractive MBA candidate 2-3 years down the road.

hookem89,

Thanks for your input. After giving this a lot of thought I agree that the best course of action for me is to move to an incrementally better job and once there commit to the CFA. My first course of action is moving back up north to Massachusetts (I’m currently living in central Florida) closer to the financial centers that employ the sort of people I want to be one day. This move should at least make networking easier. Anyways, wish me luck boys (and girls if there are any).

Boston? We have a nice AF community here.

Really? That’s awesome to hear Ramos. Maybe we’ll run into each other one of these days, I’m a Madrid fan as well :).

And I’ll be in Lowell (about 30 min north of Boston) for the first few months probably but then I’m not sure where I’ll move to.

Go Pats

Just make sure you already have a job lined up before you move. Not gonna look good if there’s a gap on your resume.

The CFA helped me move from accounting to private equity. Hopefully, it will help you, too. Good luck man.

Uh…you should move after you get the job, I wouldn’t just move up there with the hope of finding one…What I would do if I were you is to look for incrementally better positions that are related to what you do. I’m not sure what a CA at a CU does…but you can think about where your skillset is a good fit. Maybe it could be financial analyst at some company…I’ve no idea.

Yes, I’m currently looking as we speak and I have a couple of months before I actually move to find something. I got some decent connections back home so I know that at the very least, I could find employment if I struggle to find a banking job similar to what I do now but I’m not trying to rely on that.

Congrats on your transition to PE!

Thanks for your advice Palantir. My particular CA role at the CU involves mostly underwriting, quality control, and a lot of back and forth communication with dealerships to fund different deals. I’m aiming to find something similar up north but ideally I’d prefer to find an incrementally better position. Either way I’m confident I will find something within the next couple of months.

man it is all about marketing yourself the right way through your CV and if you know someone in those big banks.

and once given opportunity to interview, you can make your mark n get the job. it’s not that big of a rocket science.

you can always go for lateral positions in the big banks to make an entry. how does your CV look like?