Low undergrad GPA and a Top 20 MBA program??!?!?!?!?!?!

Is it possible for someone with a 2.8 GPA in finance from James Madison University to get in to a top 20 MBA program??? I planning on going back for my MBA in 4 years and in the meantime, I studying for the CFA (Dec 08’ LI). I also plan to change jobs in one year or at least try to get a job with a big firm (KPMG). Currently, I work valuing television and radio property and intangible assets for purchase price allocation purposes and doing some fair market valuation work. During the 4th year - I will try to work abroad (preferable in South America) and get a minimum of 615 on my GMAT. What do you guys think?? Do I have a shot at getting in to a Top 20 MBA program? Your comments are appreciated.

yes if you play your cards right… it’s not all about GPA distinguish yourself in terms of GMAT, designation, experience, recommendations, application, etc. disclaimer: i am not in an MBA program

p.s. ?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

Dude, You’re probably better off without an MBA. MBA degrees are basically worthless unless they’re A) from a Top 2 university and B) obtained while working towards a PhD. It maaaaaaybe makes sense to get an MBA if you’re a little girl or a recently-divorced middle-aged housewife suffering through menopause, but you’re a dudeinthecity; it would be a complete waste of your time. Go for the PhD/CFA combo.

lol are you kidding squirrel? If by saying an MBA is basically worthless you meant to say you can earn way more money and it will probably pay for itself in a few years then yes, you are correct.

Squirrel.Master. Your responses made me laugh… thankx… " i’m a dudeinthecity" Hellz yeah! I want to move from consulting to asset management! maybe and MBA is overrated for this field.

yes, it is possible. just finished top 20 MBA in may and worked alongside admissions people during first year. over the next few years, you will get awesome work experience and you need to leverage that in your essays also, do well on GMAT, pass levels in the CFA, etc – the GPA is only one part of your portfolio that you are pitching to the schools the fact that you are already worried about this and you are years away from applying means you are already ahead of the game. I wish I knew what the CFA charter was when I was your age.

“You’re probably better off without an MBA. MBA degrees are basically worthless unless they’re A) from a Top 2 university and B) obtained while working towards a PhD.” ---------------------------------------------- for the orginal poster, go get your MBA at any top 20 school – I guarantee it will be the best decision you ever make. the disgruntled guy above is an outlier: most people love thier MBA experience and layering that on top of the CFA and good work experience will help you get to where you want to be.

Thanks for your comments guys! Keep them coming… It was hard landing a job with a 2.8 GPA. But I managed to score a position as a financial analyst working with experienced people from Wall Street who started their own comp (I am in Virginia). It’s intimidating to work with such bright people (40+). Got a couple of CFA’s in my office and the analytics that’s behind coming up with a fair value for these assets is hard/fun/frustrating/tedious…etc… Nevertheless, I’m training my brain to think differently… hopefully a skill MBA’s want.

Maybe it depends on why you have a 2.8 GPA from JMU. What happened? Anyway, all things are possible but you have to be aable to distinguish yourself from lots of candidates with better GPA’s from better schools. Your job doesn’t sound like it will do it. If all I knew about someone was they had a 2.8 from JMU I wouldn’t be betting big on them to burn through the GMAT’s either. Basically, pretend there’s a guy out there with a 3.7 from Duke working for BCG who is applying for the same spot. How do you leapfrog him?

Joey DVivre CFA Level III, GMAT of 615 minimum, experience abroad-i’m bi-lingual, community service. I can’t think of anything else… maybe start my own company… but DAMN!!! studying for the CFA + community service, working out, going out, + + + + + = TOO MUCH!!! I wish i would have done better… i just slacked off - i was dumb!

I had a 3.1 from a crappy school and am looking for ways to get into a good mba. CFA+great Gmat score is a start!

I agree. Houston 08

What rankings should we go by when we say top 20 B-School?

A 615 gmat is a bad score, especially when applying to a top 20 school as a full time student. That may not even get you into an evening program at a top 20 school.

JustPass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What rankings should we go by when we say top 20 > B-School? Whichever one(s) put your school in the top 20.

gmatclub.com/wiki/Cluster_school_classification

I did exactly what you are trying to do. I had a crappy gpa from a nowhere school (Louisiana Tech University). 2.8 exactly actually. I had a great tiem inundergrad tho, hence the GPA. At any rate, I am in the Kelley School at Indiana which runs between 13-18 in rankings depending on the year. I have a lot of work experience, but it seems to me unless you are rying to get into an ultra exclusive school like Harvard, it is definitely doable… My gmat was in the late 600’s i don’t remember exactly what. It may be a little harder if you’re really young (<25) but im not sure. The fact that you are working on the CFA will likely help

Dudeinthecity, While I have no input on your situation, I do have a question about your job. You work valuing television and radio property and intangible assets…do you deal with companies that hold frequencies that are not in use? How do you typically go about doing this? It’s a question that came up at work and I found it to be interesting topic and would like more. Do you have any good readings or words of wisdom you can share? Please e-mail me. acousticaxe514 at yahoo dot com good luck w/the mba if you decide that route.

mburfien Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A 615 gmat is a bad score, especially when > applying to a top 20 school as a full time > student. That may not even get you into an evening > program at a top 20 school. not true at all. schools use a range, not an absolute number