Massacre in Libya now!

as Libya is the world 8th oil producer, will oil price rise ?

yes

I remember the thread about Egypt & Tunisia where some people said that these events were irrelevant for the global economy. It is spreading. Yemen, Lybia, Algeria… also Qatar ? (but don’t quote me on Qatar). And some minor stuff seems to be happening in Iran as well. I think we’re in for some significant impact on oil in 2011.

Saudi, it’s all about Saudi! When that domino drops it’s gonna be game time.

Nothing will happen. The only regimes that are likely to fall are the US backed ones, as the other ones will not shy away from using brutality to crush rebellions. I don’t think anything is going to happen in Bahrain either, that is just too strategically important. We’ll see though.

Bout time all these regimes fell. Dunno how the ME people could let these dictators be in charge for so long. Hopefully the domino continues and same thing happens in places like saudi arabia etc (but unlikely)

transferpricingCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dunno how the ME > people could let these dictators be in charge for > so long. I think I know why they could “let” (hahaha, “let”, hahahahahahahahahah, “let”) these dictators be in charge for so long. 1. They would get killed and/or disappeared if they dare say anything about the regimes. New and social media now is allowing them to self-organize in ways that they couldn’t before. Frankly, there are too many to kill or disappear at once. If the regimes had the power to disappear hundreds of thousands or millions, they would do it - but they don’t have that power. 2. The regimes were backed by massive military and economic aid from the USA, which traded security in the region for the freedom of Middle Easterners - and ultimately getting neither.

Though I’m happy to be an American and highly admire Israel’s progressive society, I’m totally disgusted by America’s foreign policy in the region, which is highly beholden/hostage to Israeli interests (due to the powerful Jewish lobby in America). Essentially, America has ignored the desire for ordinary non-wealthy Middle Easterners to breathe free just like all human beings…and let them get slaughtered/oppressed as long as their leaders smile with ours and allow the friends of our leaders to make a shitload of money.

There was a time when supporting Israel really was in American strategic interests, but I think that thought is changing in US FP as now support for Israel is hardly unanimous. Now with Iraq in US control, that argument may begin to fall apart as another pro-US regime can be created. I feel that one of the consequences of regime change is that democracies will have to more seriously think about appeasing their own population rather than building hatred of Israel. At the same time I’m not real optimistic about democracy taking root in any of these nations as they don’t have the democratic institutions to do so. Muslim countries in general are heavily militarized and I think military rule will always be the most likely option after regime change. Sure there are exceptions like Indonesia, but I’m not confident.

Yeah, I think if we were to only rely on the older people in these countries and technology as it was, change and democracy are less likely. Fortunately, we have a good number of the young in these countries and the internet, so change is more likely since you don’t need as many guns (less need for masked gunman making raids on gov’t forces like the Maoists in Nepal or FARC rebels in Colombia). Seems like the best we can do is to try to make information flow as freely as possible to these places.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Though I’m happy to be an American and highly > admire Israel’s progressive society, I’m totally > disgusted by America’s foreign policy in the > region, which is highly beholden/hostage to > Israeli interests (due to the powerful Jewish > lobby in America). > > Essentially, America has ignored the desire for > ordinary non-wealthy Middle Easterners to breathe > free just like all human beings…and let them get > slaughtered/oppressed as long as their leaders > smile with ours and allow the friends of our > leaders to make a shitload of money. Israel is not a progressive state it just looks that way in comparison to the rest of the middle east. I’am of the opinion that it is not too far of from the way South Africa was in apartheid. Though many are likely far more sympathetic to Israel than I’am.

^Its nothing like south africa was. There are plenty of arabs living in Israel, allowed to freely live as part of israeli society. The same cannot be said for the majority of arab countries. They all come to western countries wanting to practice their beliefs and kick up a storm if anyhting impedes them in the slightest way, yet back in their home countries its islam or nothing.

Load up on UCO. Now my 401k is pretty much all silver and oil. This should be fun.

… just to add not to underestimate the power of the Internet and social networks. Obama got elected that way.

Totally agree. Internet and social networks are transformative technologies. How are things, Dreary? Good I hope.

Got into UCO in May at $8.86. Riding it uppppp

I thought Obama got elected because everyone hated Bush. The internet alone couldn’t have pushed an 80/20 election result.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Totally agree. Internet and social networks are > transformative technologies. > > How are things, Dreary? Good I hope. sub…dragging my feet hoping to clear L2 after failing 2 times… no strong motivation in sight though!

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I thought Obama got elected because everyone hated > Bush. The internet alone couldn’t have pushed an > 80/20 election result. sure there is more than one factor, but the Internet was a major factor, and let us not forget the Oprah Winfrey factor too.

@ Dreary I don’t think you need that designation, probably explains the lacknof motivation.