Masters of Science in Finance?

What is everyone’s opinion on this degree? Any specific fields that it will help you in? How highly regarded is it in fields like equity research, investment banking, etc? I’ll be graduating with my BA in Econ this April, but was considering maybe pursuing this degree in hopes of improving my credentials so that if/when the job market turns around in two years, I’ll have a better chance of landing a job than my current odds. I can’t seem to find any “rankings” for the schools that offer this program, so I don’t know how much of a difference reputation makes for this specific degree. I have noticed that the tuition is normally pretty high, ranging from $20,000-35,000, for one year. So, I’d like to learn more about this degree because that’s a big investment. I really would like to find a job in Texas, or maybe even the west coast. I read on AF about the University of Texas at Dallas offering a MS Finance degree, and so that interested me. Again, concern is I’m not sure how much of a factor “school reputation” is in terms of how much or how little the degree will help. Anyone who has this degree, knows people who have done it, are knowledgeable about it, etc., I’d really appreciate hearing your insight!

McCombs - have you looked @ the MBA prgm there ?

Daj, I want to eventually get an MBA, and yes, McCombs is certainly up there on my list for potential schools, but I’m only a senior in undergrad, so, MBA isn’t really applicable to me right now. That’s initially why the MS in Finance caught my attention, one year program geared more towards people without work experience and right out of undergrad.

oh, i see. yes, in his economy, an MS may not be bad. But doing an MS and MBA is redundant if you major in finance in business school, no?

Good question. That’s partly why I started this thread, I don’t know much about this degree and how it’s viewed in the industry, worth the investment, etc. If it’s the case that the MS in Finance is regarded highly enough that it would be considered redundant when comparing to a MBA, I think that would certainly make the program appear attractive when considering this economy and the limited job opportunities. My thinking is, get the degree, and hope that it adds enough to my credentials that by the time I earn the degree (~2010), the job market has picked up and I will be a more competitive applicant in that job market.

Even I would like to know the viable options for MS(Fin). I am equally split between MFE and MS(Fin), contemplating eithweways. Any good school’s close to NJ/NY for persuing part-time MS(Fin) where I can attend weekend classes and network?

So am i wasting my time doing a Masters in Applied Finance if im also doing the CFA ?

Regarding the rankings, there are not specialized MSc rankings or they are not complete. Just look at the overall reputation of the school. IMHO, its recognition depends on the industry. In AM it should be more sought after given that a typical MSc is more quantitative than a typical MBA.

I got an MS Finance right after I finished undergrad. The reason I did so is because I didn’t want to wait 4-5 yrs and go back to school for an MBA in my late 20’s. The MS Finance is more focused than an MBA, which is another reason that I went with the MS.

If you want to check out some reviews of various MS Finance programs, check out http://www.global-derivatives.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55 The list includes MS Finance and MS Financial Engineering so you will have to sift through the list to pinpoint MS Finance programs.

> http://www.global-derivatives.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55 Thanks Gouman! very good resource to start with. I really need to decide sooner than it gets any more delayed…

I’m currently a full time MSF student. I can email you if you want.

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I got an MS Finance right after I finished > undergrad. The reason I did so is because I > didn’t want to wait 4-5 yrs and go back to school > for an MBA in my late 20’s. The MS Finance is > more focused than an MBA, which is another reason > that I went with the MS. Nice! If you wouldn’t mind, can you go in further detail your opinion on the MS Finance degree? Do you feel that it was worth the investment and really helped your job search? Also, how difficult is it to be accepted into one of these programs (it does not seem like there are that many schools that offer this degree, and so, I’m not sure how competitive the admission process is). Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Gouman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you want to check out some reviews of various > MS Finance programs, check out > > http://www.global-derivatives.com/index.php?option > =com_content&task=view&id=55 > > The list includes MS Finance and MS Financial > Engineering so you will have to sift through the > list to pinpoint MS Finance programs. Thanks for the link! One thing I’ve noticed is that many of these schools do not show their acceptance rates, I’d be really curious to know how competitive admissions are for these programs. Some of the class sizes seem really small (~20-30 students), while others are slightly larger (~100), I wonder how many applicants there are on average.

joemontana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m currently a full time MSF student. I can > email you if you want. That would be much appreciated. I’d really like to gain more insight from someone like yourself who has experience with this program, and would like to discuss this further. My email address is kp0824@gmail.com Thanks.

joemontana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m currently a full time MSF student. I can > email you if you want. joemontana - appreciate your thoughs on MFE programs. Could you email me at dinesh.sundrani@gmail.com Will be taking my GRE in last week of Dec

joemontana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m currently a full time MSF student. I can > email you if you want. What School Joe?

kp - if you’re a hotshot in undergrad, you can apply and gain deferred acceptance to an MBA program without experience. One of my friends did this for a top Ivy. Attending the school will be contingent on gaining 2 years of work experience (Harvard), or the easier 2 years of ‘life’ experience for Stanford.

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > joemontana Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m currently a full time MSF student. I can > > email you if you want. > > joemontana - appreciate your thoughs on MFE > programs. Could you email me at > dinesh.sundrani@gmail.com > > Will be taking my GRE in last week of Dec I can’t say much aout MFE programs. I did not apply to any because I lack the required computer programming skills, and some of the math undergraduate requirements. MSF are more generalized finance programs than MFE or MSQF. They want good quant scores on the GMAT, but do not require heavy math backgrounds. To make the minmimal academic requirements for the (good) MFE programs, you had to have had a math/quant type undergrad.

Joe, what school?