Maths skills for a career in fixed income

Professionals working in the field of fixed income, could you come out and share what level of maths skills is needed for fixed income analysts? I understand there are many different areas of emphasis, like interest rate estimation or portfolio modeling… … Just want to hear your opinion about level of maths needed to perform your job. Is CFA course maths level ok? Thank you for sharing!

software does the calculation but one needs to the concept and how to calculate if ask

PHD in physics or math highly desirable my friend in this country, CFA not so much.

What do you mean by “fixed income”? This can mean anything. If you work in sales, you need close to zero math skills. If you are a quant modeling interest rate derivatives, you probably want a PhD in Math or Physics or at least an MFE. Btw, if I interviewed someone who told me that they know CFA math, I would laugh at them.

craneview Wrote: > Is CFA course maths level ok? No, grade 8 level math is not ok.

Not sales… For analysts of fixed income securities, is PhD in quant subjects needed?

craneview Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not sales… > > For analysts of fixed income securities, is PhD in > quant subjects needed? Not in the slightest. If you have some basic calculus and you’re smart you will be fine.

Eureka, if you have several minutes, could you explain what fixed income analysts actually do on a day-to-day basis? Many many thanks!

They analyze fixed income products.

Pixel Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > They analyze fixed income products. while you are a joke yourself, as I established in the other thread, your attempts at humor are not funny. i kinda like this self-contradictory dualism about your personality - you are a funny joke, but your jokes aren’t funny. overall the net effect is that it’s hilarious

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Pixel Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > They analyze fixed income products. > > > while you are a joke yourself, as I established in > the other thread, your attempts at humor are not > funny. i kinda like this self-contradictory > dualism about your personality - you are a funny > joke, but your jokes aren’t funny. overall the net > effect is that it’s hilarious I disagree strongly …his point was simple yet complex the more you think about it …they analyze fixed income products hmmmmmm could it be we hve the true messiah and king of the trolls that the ancient ( are there any other type?) prophecies foretold…we have been faked before with daj and iheart^2 but this pixel displays waaaaaay more troll like behaviour than those 2 …could it be possible?

It depends. Some fixed income products are very math intensive and an analyst would likely need at least an MFE/PdD such as structured products. A corporate bond analyst probably has more expertise in accounting and is more of an MBA and CFA type since they are dissecting 8-Ks and such. More moderate math skills required. Fixed income has the full gamit from CFA math to smart people math with big words like stochastic and …other big words I dont know.

1morelevel: Thank you! Your comment really makes sense to me. I am more interested in Muni/Treasury types of Macro-driven bond performance analysis. I am the type of people who score high on quant aptitude tests (e.g. GRE) but do not have phd in quant subject or in Econ. I am very analytical and logical–do you think there is a niche in understanding the different types of products and figuring out the macro fundamentals? Or, again, I need a PhD in Econ for MacroEcon competency?

Pixel Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > craneview Wrote: > > > Is CFA course maths level ok? > > > No, grade 8 level math is not ok. I didn’t have to calculate Black-Scholes in grade 8? What school did you go to?

You don’t have to perform Black Scholes calculations for CFA exams either.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You don’t have to perform Black Scholes > calculations for CFA exams either. How about bootstrapping:) I agree PhD is way harder than CFA. CFA can be done by a hard work and that is why many people with no finance background has passed all 3 exams but in Phd one needs to have sound knowledge in his area of research. Average CFA is like 4 years and PhD is like 6 years. Also it is not possible to complete PhD at the age of 22-23 but there are many folks on AF who have passed L3 by the age of 23.

dawg dont even dare to compare PhD to CFA, there is no parallel whatsoever. CFA is just a buncha exams, PhD requires original research and contribution to your field (unless its some joke PhD). CFA vs MBA? hit us with your thoughts if you like

MST - I was telling that PhD is superior to CFA anytime. Read it

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA vs MBA? hit us with your thoughts if you > like No please dont

Just because the CFA exam uses math that is typically introduced in roughly the 8th grade doesn’t mean that any 8th grader can pass the CFA exam, which seems to be what some people like to insinuate.