Mba dings/admits for F09

Sounds pretty competitive. I wonder what next year will be like – probably as competitive, if not more so. I guess that’s what I have to look forward to…fun…

it will be more competitive without a doubt. this is because IB/consulting etc. layoffs are still going on so those people + the massive number of people who get dinged this year now have more time to get their act together in preparation for R1.

Might have to expand my list of schools to apply to then

T2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Put Executive MBA, it’s a different degree. Depends on the Univ.

Rejected at Columbia and Duke. Accepted at Michigan, Cornell, and Virginia.

Columbia is sounding tough for entry

DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > state it was an executive MBA. I think not doing > so would be misleading if for no other reason it’s > a different curriculum with different > requirements. > > wrong. > > > Put Executive MBA, it’s a different degree. > > also wrong. Why is that wrong? I’m not familiar with any school that has the same curriculum for an EMBA and MBA. If they aren’t different, they why have two programs?

Halberstram Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what’s your background valueaddict? Graduated in '05 from a mid-tier undergrad program (avg SAT’s probably around 1300 or so) with 3.6 overall GPA / 3.9 Major GPA (Finance Medal for top student in major). LIII candidate. Worked at an I-bank 1 year in a operational role. Almost 3 years on the buy-side as a FoF analyst. Currently unemployed and loving it. GMAT score on the lower end of the Top 10 spectrum but still competitive.

> > > state it was an executive MBA. I think not > doing > > so would be misleading if for no other reason > it’s > > a different curriculum with different > > requirements. > > > > wrong. > > > > > Put Executive MBA, it’s a different degree. > > > > also wrong. > > Why is that wrong? I’m not familiar with any > school that has the same curriculum for an EMBA > and MBA. If they aren’t different, they why have > two programs? At Columbia/Wharton/Stern (and probably all other well-ranked emba programs) they’re the same. The two programs accomodate different schedules. At which schools are they different?

The top rated EMBA is Kellogg and it’s different. I’m not sure that you are correct that they are the same at other schools. The EMBA is typically shorter than the MBA and covers different, but overlapping, topics. You don’t even need to take the GMAT for an EMBA and the average student is much, much older.

DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > At Columbia/Wharton/Stern (and probably all other > well-ranked emba programs) they’re the same. The > two programs accomodate different schedules. > > At which schools are they different? Lets not kid ourselves, the admissions process and student body at all three of those schools are completely different between PT and FT. State as many flowery consulting buzzwords as you want, but a difficult admissions process adds a substantial portion of a top MBA’s value and you don’t really go through that in PT programs. Many employers will think it’s boarderline dishonest if you try and play off a PT MBA as a FT MBA. The only way to pprvenet them from noticing overlapping dates is to lie about employment dates on you resume, which could be picked up when they do there background check.

ahahah Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > DarienHacker Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > At Columbia/Wharton/Stern (and probably all > other > > well-ranked emba programs) they’re the same. > The > > two programs accomodate different schedules. > > > > At which schools are they different? > > > Lets not kid ourselves, the admissions process and > student body at all three of those schools are > completely different between PT and FT. State as > many flowery consulting buzzwords as you want, but > a difficult admissions process adds a substantial > portion of a top MBA’s value and you don’t really > go through that in PT programs. Many employers > will think it’s boarderline dishonest if you try > and play off a PT MBA as a FT MBA. The only way > to pprvenet them from noticing overlapping dates > is to lie about employment dates on you resume, > which could be picked up when they do there > background check. “their” background check.

> The top rated EMBA is Kellogg and it’s different. Interesting. Oh well, it’s a marketing school – probably of less interest to most readers of AF. > I’m not sure that you are correct that they are the same at other schools. Well, I’m sure about the ones I mentioned. You’re free to call 'em up to confirm. > admissions process and student body at all three of those schools are completely different between PT and FT PT <> EMBA. Agree that PT is different from FT as you point out. However, if you want to compare EMBA and FT: yes I would say admissions is easier at EMBA. And in most people’s minds, the quality/prestige of the EMBA program derives from the FT program. Having worked at several BB banks and with numerous FT&EMBA graduates over the years, I’d say there’s no difference in value between EMBA and FT. (I don’t think I’ve met a PT MBA.) Edit: sorry OP for the hijack, just trying to correct some quotes.

I would not put a PT program like Stern in the same category as a EMBA. I have a bunch of friends who went to Stern EMBA programs with less than stellar GPAs, etc…however, their companies were willing to write a check fairly quickly…IMHO most EMBAs are more profit divisions and provide their students a slightly watered down experience\education. Getting into Stern PT, and the curriculum, are almost on par with the FT program, IMO.

DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Having worked at several BB banks and with > numerous FT&EMBA graduates over the years, I’d say > there’s no difference in value between EMBA and > FT. (I don’t think I’ve met a PT MBA.) How many EMBA grads did you hire into your first-year associate program last year? Ok, bad example… In 2006?

ahahah Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > DarienHacker Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > At Columbia/Wharton/Stern (and probably all > other > > well-ranked emba programs) they’re the same. > The > > two programs accomodate different schedules. > > > > At which schools are they different? > > > Lets not kid ourselves, the admissions process and > student body at all three of those schools are > completely different between PT and FT. State as > many flowery consulting buzzwords as you want, but > a difficult admissions process adds a substantial > portion of a top MBA’s value and you don’t really > go through that in PT programs. Many employers > will think it’s boarderline dishonest if you try > and play off a PT MBA as a FT MBA. The only way > to pprvenet them from noticing overlapping dates > is to lie about employment dates on you resume, > which could be picked up when they do there > background check. The experiences I’ve seen corroborate what ahahah mentioned. At a previous firm, we interviewed several PT students as well as a number of FT students from Stern. Though I can’t say that any of them impressed me all that much, there seemed to be a tangible difference in achievement between the PT and FT students.

IMO, I think you need to put EMBA on your resume, regardless of the school. But if you obtained a PT MBA from a Top school like Stern, where the PT program curriculum is about the same, I would think it is OK to just state MBA. If terms of who has an advantage in associate hiring, etc…obviously FT hands down…but from my experience associate hiring is not the motive of PT.

Maybe there’s confusion about EMBA vs PT here. PT is taking night courses, typically 1 or 2 at a time, no limit on the # of years to exit. EMBA spans 5 semesters, a full load of classes, sessions on friday/weekend. Most top-drawer MBA programs don’t offer PT, though many offer EMBA. As for # of associate hires: most EMBAs aren’t looking for a job, and if they are, they’re looking at VP or higher.

Here’s my experience: Duke R2: admit IESE R2: admit Yale R2: interviewed Darden R2: interviewed Columbia R2: Interview invite yesterday 3.17 Stern R2: Interview invite yesterday 3.17 Georgetown R2(safety): Interview invite - Withdrew Berkely Haas R2: (??? radio silence) Harvard R3 Good luck everyone will update if there are any changes

^ mswerner, that seems like a lot of apps… how many schools do most people apply to?