Mba dings/admits for F09

Fratboy_4Life Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ mswerner, that seems like a lot of apps… how > many schools do most people apply to? From what I gathered I applied to more schools than the average person. Given the current enviroment I felt that it would be in my best interest to have options. I damn near killed my self writting the essays. I think people usually aply to four or five programs

mzwerner Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Here’s my experience: > Duke R2: admit > IESE R2: admit > Yale R2: interviewed > Darden R2: interviewed > Columbia R2: Interview invite yesterday 3.17 > Stern R2: Interview invite yesterday 3.17 > Georgetown R2(safety): Interview invite - > Withdrew > Berkely Haas R2: (??? radio silence) > Harvard R3 > Good luck everyone will update if there are any > changes My friend got into IESE this year and will be attending in Barcelona in the fall.

what where his reasons for choosing the program? philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mzwerner Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Here’s my experience: > > Duke R2: admit > > IESE R2: admit > > Yale R2: interviewed > > Darden R2: interviewed > > Columbia R2: Interview invite yesterday 3.17 > > Stern R2: Interview invite yesterday 3.17 > > Georgetown R2(safety): Interview invite - > > Withdrew > > Berkely Haas R2: (??? radio silence) > > Harvard R3 > > Good luck everyone will update if there are any > > changes > > > My friend got into IESE this year and will be > attending in Barcelona in the fall.

mzwerner Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what where his reasons for choosing the program? > > philip.platt Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > mzwerner Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Here’s my experience: > > > Duke R2: admit > > > IESE R2: admit > > > Yale R2: interviewed > > > Darden R2: interviewed > > > Columbia R2: Interview invite yesterday 3.17 > > > Stern R2: Interview invite yesterday 3.17 > > > Georgetown R2(safety): Interview invite - > > > Withdrew > > > Berkely Haas R2: (??? radio silence) > > > Harvard R3 > > > Good luck everyone will update if there are > any > > > changes > > > > > > My friend got into IESE this year and will be > > attending in Barcelona in the fall. That guy . . . well he said he wanted international experience and thought it would be a good opportunity to learn Spanish and take in the culture of Spain. Admittedly, I think it would be a great time/experience to go to that program. But, I had doubts about his job placement after he was finished and talked to him about that. However, he is the kind of person that usually falls into things and has awesome stuff just come up spontaneously, so he went with it and committed to IESE. In general, he is pretty interested in ‘saving the world’ and is working with a team to bring drinkable water to all nations around the world, starting with Liberia. I think he is going to use this experience to gain more knowledge about other cultures, and use his new business skills and network to continue to country jump around the world and improving third world nations.

Fantastic, that’s a good friend to habe

mzwerner, would you mind sharing what your application profile look like (e.g. GMAT, work experience, etc.)? It seems like you have impressive stats. I’m looking to apply next year and would like to know how I compare. If it’s too personal, I understand. Thanks. mzwerner Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Here’s my experience: > Duke R2: admit > IESE R2: admit > Yale R2: interviewed > Darden R2: interviewed > Columbia R2: Interview invite yesterday 3.17 > Stern R2: Interview invite yesterday 3.17 > Georgetown R2(safety): Interview invite - > Withdrew > Berkely Haas R2: (??? radio silence) > Harvard R3 > Good luck everyone will update if there are any > changes

Updated!!! Here’s my experience: Duke R2: admit IESE R2: admit Yale R2: interviewed Darden R2: interviewed Columbia R2: Interview invite yesterday 3.17 Stern R2: Interview invite yesterday 3.17 Georgetown R2(safety): Interview invite - Withdrew Berkely Haas R2: Got the big old DING today from Haas oh well 7 of 8 is ok with me Harvard R3 Good luck everyone will update if there are any changes

Here’s my profile Undergrad: University of Michigan: Econ Masters of Accounting from University of Michigan Business School received sholarship during masters program GMAT Score: 710 - 92% (Q44 - 70%,V42 - 95%) Awa 5.5 80% Country: US /Male of Hispanic origin Work Exp: 5 Years Industry: 2 yrs with PWC (Transaction Services - essentially M&A consulting & Valuation reviews) 3 yrs private wealth management/public company valuations Foreign work stint: Internship in Nicaragua Significant Achievements: Am a CPA Passed LVL I & II of CFA on first try (taking level III in June 09) Extra Curricular Activities: Lots in College: Boxed, part of theatre troop, wrote for school newspaper, big brother big sister program. Was a Graduate student Instructor teaching undergrad accounting class during my masters. During school ran my own computer networking business (networked frats, sororities, and houses, also fixed computers) After College (allot of my time went towards passing CPA and CFA exams, but also apprenticed at five star restaurant on weekends (cooking is a hobby of mine). Also on the side worked on a startup company that I eventually sold (long story).

Hey, I was reading somewhere that the business schools consider the upward trend in your career path–including title/responsibility AND compensation. Do the schools ask you to list compensation at your jobs? I’m kind of hoping so because my comp is rising exponentially. But then I think that it seems kind of weird to ask someone to report their comp starting from age 22 going to, say, 28.

Undergrad: Public Texas University: Econ Captain of Baseball Team GMAT Score: 650 Country: US /Male of Hispanic origin Work Exp: 3.5 Years Industry: 1 yrs with sell side trader,2.5 energy trader Significant Achievements: Passed LVL I CFA Extra Curricular Activities: Started up a few business’s and working on a short film now, starting a non profit now UT - denied Tulane - accepted Rice-accepted

That’s impressive. Thanks for that info. Good luck in b-school.

Check this out: http://www.skoolix.com/skoolixSearch.aspx

I just got the ding from Dartmouth (R2) and am expecting the same from Stanford shortly. It’s not looking good for 09.

brother bilo - what is your background?

yeah, they ask for comp.

yeah, they ask for comp coz they wanna know if your post-mba $$ potential will be value added to your pre-mba position or not. if you are already banking $200k+ and are fairly ahead in your org etc. then the mba may not be value-added and they might question/scrutinize the applicant’s ambitions/goals mentioned in the essays.

niraj_a Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yeah, they ask for comp coz they wanna know if > your post-mba $$ potential will be value added to > your pre-mba position or not. > > if you are already banking $200k+ and are fairly > ahead in your org etc. then the mba may not be > value-added and they might question/scrutinize the > applicant’s ambitions/goals mentioned in the > essays. Well, I agree that a high comp might even hurt your app, since high comp might hurt schools rankings, as your %-increase might not be that high or even negative, as you might look for a new career… Nevertheless, if this should really be the case, I think it’s some kind of unethical of b-schools, since they state they want to educate leaders and look for people with a good career progression… so how can your career be too good to receive the priviledge of education. actually high comp should be a good indicator, that you have tons of potential and already are in good shape to become a future leader. Do you think b-school might be “scared” to admit too many students with high comp due to negative impacts on their rankings?

I started a separate post on how to maximize financial aid for bschool - can anyone who has applied help me out with my questions. Thanks. BTW - from what I’ve heard, schools will not ding you for having high comp. There is now more of a need than ever before for bschools to accept applicants who can pay the full fare. There are a few articles floating around about how HBS will expand its class size this year to help cover expenses - these new students will likely be full paying customers.

I don’t think business schools will hold it against you if you have a “high” compensation. There are a lot of different reasons for people to go back to school; I think as long as you have a good story and it’s clear how an MBA fits into your objectives, it makes sense. You’re right in that $200K all-in is a healthy sum of money, but there are at least a handful of students that made this kind of money (at least before the financial crisis), including third-year banking analysts, some PE/HF folks, senior VP’s or directors in certain corporations, etc. I don’t think anyone really thinks that someone already making $200K (or whatever arbitrary dollar amount you want to use) lacks the ability to make even more money in their lifetime; and importantly, I think schools see these candidates as individuals that have already proven themselves in the financial arena and may even be more capable of giving back to the school once they graduate.

I don’t think business schools will hold it against you if you have a “high” compensation. There are a lot of different reasons for people to go back to school; I think as long as you have a good story and it’s clear how an MBA fits into your objectives, it makes sense. You’re right in that $200K all-in is a healthy sum of money, but there are at least a handful of students that made this kind of money (at least before the financial crisis), including third-year banking analysts, some PE/HF folks, senior VP’s or directors in certain corporations, etc. I don’t think anyone really thinks that someone already making $200K (or whatever arbitrary dollar amount you want to use) lacks the ability to make even more money in their lifetime; and importantly, I think schools see these candidates as individuals that have already proven themselves in the financial arena and may even be more capable of giving back to the school once they graduate.