MBA Question for anyone who would know

There’s a lot of bad info being passed around in this thread. The stats posted by NYU and Columbia are of ADMITTED students who matriculate, not of people who apply. That means that if you have a higher GPA and GMAT then the mean you are in the ballpark of being admitted. To the Original Poster: Your GPA is excellent and will be a plus on your application. The fact that you also have a CPA and 2 levels of the CFA done is also going to help you. However, here’s the problem: Admissions will wonder why the heck you could only crack a 45Q on the GMAT if you are a “quanty” guy. This in turn will make them skeptical of your GPA and deflate its worth. As it stands now, a 670 is definitely on the low side and will be a red flag. That being said, essays will play a large role. If you have unique experience that makes you interesting AND you can articulate why you will add value to the school that will help immensely. IMHO, you’ve got a profile that is borderline now for admission but could be excellent if you A) raised your GMAT to 700+ B) had leadership/volunteer experience to break the " boring accountant" stereotype C) wrote excellent essays that showed fit with the school. Good luck.

cheros16 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Any other advise on extra-curriculars I should > start now? Or would it just be looked upon as > “he’s only doing it for the application” at this > point? > > Janky, good luck with those interviews. What is > your background/scores etc Thanks! I wouldn’t launch into any new EC’s, but keep adding depth in the ones your involved with… the teaching will be highly relevant to these programs. I did a similar inner-city SAT prep class in LA which both my interviewers were keen to discuss… My background: 3.7 gpa in physics and econ from good state school, 4yrs in economic litigation consulting (securities fraud and intellectual property cases), good leadership in undergrad, not much EC since then. GMAT was good enough to qualify in Adavy’s “Asian/Indian/Russian woman” category, although as a straight white male not sure that it’s enough… Take your time with the essays, and good luck!!

@janky and Dirtz: agree with most of what you say, I think the inner city class you teach will be a huge plus on your app. @Janky: you’ll get in to at least one of your schools.

adavydov7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hahaha, Ali. We are going to have fun studying for > this thing together yet again, I can already feel > it. I also feel the Oilers coming on strong in the > next few months and avenging those three early > season losses to your beloved Calgary Flame-out-s. Pulleeeez, really, an Edmonton fan? I don’t think we can be friends :wink:

Hahahaha, I lived in Edmonton for four year when I was younger, and this was during the time when the city basically came together to keep the team there when the threat of moving to the states was clear and present.

I have a similar background as yourself and went to a top 10 school. GPA is not as important as GMAT. I would expand my scope to other schools as well, think Harvard, Wharton Stanford and retake the GMA tif you can. H/W/S is whole another level, and as economy recovers, when you graduate in 2-3 years you can name your own price. Having gone to a top 10 school, worth every penny…I do not miss my accounting days at all.