meredith whitney

i know she is awesome and smart and called the bust way back, but she sounds retarded sometimes…not very polished… : ) -

I rather have a unpolished analyst who calls these blowups. Then the perpetual bulls of every sector *cough GS cough* who are very eloquent.

yeah, i agree. just tossed it out there to see if any of you on the buy side have dealt with her. im personally glad she is doing well and that she is a woman. we had too many all star analysts in 2000 who were men and they all blew themselves up

anyone watch WWE? Who is toughest, her or her husband?

didnt GS say oil was going to hit $150 sometime before year end as well? its good they have all the answers… haha

if you say the sky is falling all the time, eventually you will be correct (that said, she has certainly been in front of this one.)

Meredith Whitney is sure smart and knows what she is doing. But in the recent cases, she is just lucky to have made the right call at the right time. Outlier in a statistical distribution…

someone is bound to have the correct call. she’s just lucky to have been one of those people. time will only tell if she’s is truly “smart” or simply a black swan.

projectplatnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > didnt GS say oil was going to hit $150 sometime > before year end as well? its good they have all > the answers… haha their target was $141 and oil did hit the target.

Gecco Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if you say the sky is falling all the time, > eventually you will be correct (that said, she has > certainly been in front of this one.) Is this a joke? This woman has proven she understands the situation very well and has clarity into the inner workings of these financial companies that most on the street do not. Calling her lucky is what one would do only if one hadn’t listened to her. Going forward do I expect her calls to be 100% correct? No. Better than the streets average?? Maybe…but she has been very ADAMENT about her predictions thus meaning she was willing to take substantial professional bets on this call. So, I do not call her lucky…more like she was lucky this situation came along so she could translate it to the world.

I used to work with the guy who first trained her. He said w/o a doubt - she had the least amount of common sense out of anyone he had ever met. She did marry a pro wrestler, after all.

Still a black swan. Probabilistically inevitable that you’re bound to get a “Meredith Whitney.” Same as for a “Warren Buffett.” I’m not saying she’s an idiot or that it was all luck. Smart people still needs lady luck on her side in order to “succeed”; however you like to define success.

jbisback Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I used to work with the guy who first trained her. > He said w/o a doubt - she had the least amount of > common sense out of anyone he had ever met. > > She did marry a pro wrestler, after all. First of all, we all know this guy is probably just trying to undercut her with his comment…something males in this business often need to do in order to help them sleep at night. Secondly, she’s got the brains her hubby’s got the brawn…she’s a successful lady…how is this ANY different than the super smart hedge fund manager who marries the beauty queen?? You guys are all sexist and you don’t even realize it! :o)

CFA500, I guess you are a single women in her late 20s or early 30s. No kids, probably went to a private university. And your parents live more than 100 miles away from you. Currently not dating. Not working in any of the BB firms. How did I do?

And has a cat

10 cats

She works for a little research boutique called Opco. She was going to get noticed only if she made a bold call against the herd. She got lucky and is now pressing her shorts like any good momentum trader. Reminds me of another Opco analyst who got lucky with a bold call at the right time: Henry Blodget. She’s his mirror image.

If there are thousands of predictions out there someone if bound to be right. Analysts by nature (at least one the sell side) are forced to swing at every pitch.

AlphaSeeker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA500, > > I guess you are a single women in her late 20s or > early 30s. No kids, probably went to a private > university. And your parents live more than 100 > miles away from you. Currently not dating. Not > working in any of the BB firms. > > How did I do? ha ha – you guys, we finally found someone with more balls and more blunt than me!!!

gideon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > She works for a little research boutique called > Opco. She was going to get noticed only if she > made a bold call against the herd. She got lucky > and is now pressing her shorts like any good > momentum trader. Reminds me of another Opco > analyst who got lucky with a bold call at the > right time: Henry Blodget. She’s his mirror > image. Oppenheimer has some quality stuff. It is not just a “little research boutique”