messenger bags, any one got a favorite?

I think I’m going to go with the Ducati bag, going to think about it over lunch haha, i carry my stuff a long time.

Not even that classy. Plastic white Safeway bag.

Suit and gym bag is my style but if i had to pick one from the showcase i would pick a light brown over black.

For a messenger bag, i think there are few key things to think about.

1. Are you walking outside or go on public transit a lot? if so, go with leather or at least something waterproof. otherwise it gets very gross and dirty quickly.

2. How much stuff do you usually carry and what do you carry? If you carry a lot and usually heavy, i would go with a messenger bag instead of a briefcase because it’s easier on your arm/ shouder. Also if you carry something hard, like books or laptops, you want to find a messenger bag taht is more firm.

3. How tall are you? if you are not that tall, do not carry something too big, otherwise the bag will swallow you!

4. What do you do for work? If you are a manager/ executive, do invest a little bit more money on a bag. Let’s be honest, you use it everyday and though it’s not a fashion statement, but if you are going to carry it to work all the time you may as well get something with quality. i would say the price range would be $800USD to $1500USD to start? If you are just starting out, get something simple and not flashy, and probably under $500USD.

$800 to $1500 for a bag?!? Yeah ok.

I think things are a little more expensive in Japan, but those figures are Prada level in Toronto which would mean an uncommonly nice work bag.

Look up Visconti on Amazon.They have quite a few classic and understated leather bags under 200$. I like mine a lot.

She talks about designer bags, I think. Or it may be a normal price if considering high living costs/location rental costs/living standard in Tokyo.

Big fashion brands such as LV, Furla, Mulberry, Chloe, Hermes, etc… see Asia as a gold mine. Rich people spend a lot on luxury goods. The other day I went for a team building with my colleagues; while we were waiting for the coach’s driver, a girl found out she had left her scarf at home. And you know what, she went down to a luxury brand store in the building and bought a $650 one within 15 minutes. Well, no envy here cuz I think everything is relative. If a $1500 handbag or a $650 scarf would help her indrectly generate much more than that (i.e. more confident when seeing clients), it’s worth spending.

I think a splurge would be a $300-400 leather overnight bag. Perfect for those weekend trips that I don’t take and that urban hipsterness that doesn’t describe me.

A $650 scarf? I think I’ve heard it all!

I recommend this lunch box set that comes with a bag. It looks quite compact. I have got one.

The minus point I think is that these 3 containers might not contain enough foods for guys.

http://locknlocks.com/shop/lunch-box-set-bento-3-containers-chopsticks-insulated-bag/

^

are you really from greenland? they have corporate jobs there?

on another note

I just carry a good old schoolbag.

It fits my laptop, lunch box, spare clothes if i’m going out directly from work, spare shoes if i’m going to play after work etc etc.

Very convenient and i just dump it under my desk till i leave.

Hoping that my memorization is bad, I called the girl and checked if I remembered the figure right (feel awkward when contacting her to check the info though). Her words even made me want to bang my head against the wall. She corrected me at that time she was saying it’s equivalent to 650 GBP… broken heart

Anyway, hope the OP has found a nice And functional messenger bag with a good price! smiley

@issildurr: cool

^ I went with the ducati bag:

http://g.nordstromimage.com/imagegallery/store/product/Gigantic/15/_7727195.jpg

It’s like exactly the same height and width as my current bag, which I like. It’s also not too formal (which fits my business casual dress code at work. I also take it with me to the coffee shop to read). Hopefully I’ll get 10+ years out of it, become a BSD and then I’ll get a nice designer one haha! Thanks all for the suggestions :slight_smile:

I bought a silver and black silk Tom Ford scarf a couple years ago for $199 at end of season. Originally it retailed for like $650. It is a lovely scarf and a huge hit with the ladies from the limited use that it has had. I love it but it is too nice for every day wear - I’ve only worn it a dozen times. I’m a bit more low profile than the scarf suggests, not to mention that someone might mistake me for somebody important while wearing it.

Scarves and Designer briefcases eh? Good grief.

Here i was thinking i was stylish with nice shoes and a nice shirt.

See, this is what i don’t understand…

People are so money driven here, yet, when it comes to spending, everyone is so conservative.

If your investment dropped $800 in a day, you wouldn’t blink twice, but $800 for a bag that will last you for at least few years (using it everyday), people think it’s INSANE!!!

EDIT: And i am not recommending people to buy expensive scarf that you only wear twice a year, we are talking about a bag that you use for work almost everyday! if you can only date a girl for the next two years, wouldn’t you try to get a nicer looking one?

^ Are you in finance!?

There is a huge difference between a $800 paper loss unrealized gain vs. an aftertax purchase of a consumption good.

Guns and Butter.

[video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga8o9eepj5s]

^Straight Troof!

^respekt^

Yes, i do understand the difference, thank you very much.

So you are holding onto stocks that may never recover and keep an unrealized loss and feel good about yourself by all means, please do.

I just rather spend my money buying finer things and enriching the quality of life.

At the end of the day point isn’t really about the financial consequences between an investment loss vs a purchase of a consumption good. I just want to understand the lifestyle of bankers in America, is it like Wolf of Wallstreet, or do people dress like highschool graduates going on interviews.

I mean there are articles like this one:

http://nypost.com/2014/02/17/the-new-caste-of-wall-street-bankers-under-30-battle-for-supremacy/

and then i am seeing people on here buying $50USD bags from amazon and ebay.

What’s the American dream here?

With all due respect, you are a woman.

And you should know the difference between capital gain/income generation potential, and straight-to-zero depreciation ‘assets’.