messenger bags, any one got a favorite?

yoou said down $800 in one day, how do you know part of my 10k investment will not recover?

This thread now reminds me of the scene in Capote where Truman offers up that his scarf is from Bergdorf Goodman and the cops look at him like he’s from another planet.

Again, you are missing the point and i will take that analogy back.

But if that’s how you think, and if you honestly base all your lifestyle decision on these absolute financial concepts, then you need not to buy any clothes at all, you don’t need to go eat anything at a restaurnat, or buy a car, or a phone… or any “consumption good” at all.

In fact, why buy a messenger bag at all? this thread is pointless, because you can easily get a free paper or plastic bag to carry your things to work. And you can have a different plastic bag for everyday of the week!

^ I get it nana, I’m all about looking professional and carrying myself well. However, I don’t feel you need to spend $600 for a scarf to do so.

That’s how I roll. Today is “Toys R’ Us.” Stylish.

A $1500 messenger bag likely only enriches your quality of life if you’re overly materialistic.

I use a messenger bag, but a real one. I ride bike to work sometimes, other times just want to cram all my crap (lunch, papers, laptop, etc) in one bag for the commute. I dont care that it doesnt look “executive” and frankly think anyone who notices/cares is too far on a different planet for me to care (probably thinking about whether they will go eat dinner at “the club” tonight). Glad to not be part of the NY fashion scene or wherever all people care about this type of thing. I like walking into the office after wrapping a ride and seeing everyone on donut #3 with their cool leather satchels, nobody can say sh!t to you.

Not saying you need to be a slob, I mean buy a muted bag…but otherwise balls-out.

I guess it depends on the item, i find myself spending more money on things that i use all the time and less on things i don’t use often.

$600 scarf, i wouldn’t even buy! but $600 bag, i would.

1. i absolutely agree with you and that is why i don’t think the NY fashion scene is that exciting

2. i do admire people with great tastes in subtle ways, i think there are quality products that are muted and not flashy.

Most people here don’t make as much $$$ as they claim. Just look at the thread about cable last month. People claiming making 6 figures and yet make NPV analysis when it comes to getting cable. Yeah right!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA… i hear you… all these “BS ER” and M&A career discussions are starting to sound fictitious.

I think if anyone consistently misses the point around here, its you.

Personally, I spend what money I have on quality suits/bags/etc, and some of them can be classified as luxury goods. But in no way do I try to convince myself that it is anything other than a sunk cost for my mental and image’s wellbeing. You are the one who brought up the financial concepts in comparing decisions to spend money, not me.

Lots of the wanna-be big spenders that think they are big shots earning $100k are really just borrowing from their retirement. Most people wearing designer stuff are going to be feeling it big time in retirement. Now if you’re really a BSD, then go ahead, but that’s not at the $100k/year level. That’s a multiple of that.

Six figures ain’t all that. Money is money. I don’t like getting f"ed over… When your take care of your pennies, the dollars take care of themselves.

^ Yup.

There’s a black guy I work with that says the same thing. He’s cheap as sh*t too despite making good money.

Think there’s a difference between being frugal and cheap. I think being frugal is a path to becoming wealthy; I’ve been clipping coupons and buying stuff on sale for as long as I can remember. However, being cheap has all kinds of foul connotations especially in social settings. It’s not uncommon for me to be generous to people around me (whether it’s my time or my money), because I find that taking care of people in the short-term pays dividends in the long-term.

^

But then you have expectations which is the bane of all human relationships and will inevitably leave you dissapointed.

Um, where do you work brah, are we coworkers?

Admittedly–I haven’t paid much attention to this thread.

How did a thread on man-purses blow up to almost three pages in only two days?