Most unusual question asked by a stranger on the street

I was young and inexperienced.

Also, I thought she was the restaurant hostess trying to get me to spend money on a drink in an expensive bar, not an everyday attractive woman (or supermodel) offering me the chance to have a chat over a drink with her. My guess is that she was amused by the idea of talking to someone who was completely unaware of how rich and famous she was.

It felt crappy when I realized the mistake, but at least it makes a good story years later.

^i’m certainly not one to criticize. i’m lucky my wife recognized this characteristic in me and literally molested me when she decided she must have the Turd.

In Manaus at that time, they do. That hotel was perhaps one of the cheapest dingiest hotels I’ve ever been in (actualy, I think there was one in Belém that was worse). I was amazed that they would camp out and track me down. I was perhaps 22 at the time.

There is indeed more to the story. Basically this woman and her friends kept following me everywhere, until I ran across some other guys talking in a park. For some reason, they left me alone after that. So I talked with them - I don’t really remember what it was about - I was just happy to be left alone. Then these guys started following me around a bit, but they weren’t nearly as pushy, just mildly boring to me, and eager to offer advice about going aroudn town, and I was just as happy that the others were not harassing me. I was 22, didn’t speak the language well, was alone for the first time in a part of the country that was also a bit wild west like. I’d also been mugged the week before in Rio, when I was wasn’t even alone, so I was actually quite scared that I’d gotten in over my head on this trip.

One guy in theis group: his name was Washington, but I didn’t realize that for a while because it was pronounced more like “oAustin” seemed especially chatty and friendly enough. It turned out that Washington was gay, and I said I don’t have any issue with gay people as long as they respect that I’m not gay nor interested in stuff like that. Washington seemed to have a bit of a crush on me, but I’d made it clear that I wasn’t gay, so he knew where I stood.

Then a little later, one of Washington’s friends asked me “In the US, what do they call a man who likes to ‘give it’ to another man.”

I said, “well, we say he’s gay.”

He says “No no no, a man, who ‘gives it’ to another man,” what do you call that kind of guy?

I said “well, we say he’s gay.”

He says “No no no, a man, who ‘gives it’ to another man,” what do you call him??

After a while of this, it suddenly dawns on me that when I had told Washington that I was not gay, this only eliminated *half* of our options.

surprise

So I had to sit Washington down and give him the “just friends” talk. It was awkward. I can see what women go through when they have to do that. He seemed to take it ok, but it didn’t prevent him from asking if I’d be willing to go to a gay bar with him. So I’m not sure the message got across very clearly until I said “no gay bar.”

^much different plot than i was expecting. At 22 im surprised you didnt take her up on her invitation.

She was attractive but not that attractive, I was also afraid of getting robbed or diseases. I didn’t have a lot of money (hence the grungy hotel).

There was a different girl that I met my last night there who was much much harder to resist. I suspect the only reason I didn’t go through with it was that I was worried that it would destroy my budget for the rest of the trip.

It was probably the Jews for Jesus people. I saw them in midtown all the time back in the day.

Hahaha - that is very much a thing they do - it would be more strange if that didn’t happen to someone.

Speaking of La Rambla, John Stockton has a funny home video from his time there during the Olympics. He’s walking down La Rambla and sees an American girl wearing a Dream Team shirt with a picture of all the players’ faces.

He stops to ask if she’s a fan of the Dream Team. She gladly takes the opportunity to describe her love and how’s she’s their #1 fan - completely oblivious to the fact that she’s talking to John Stockton. Forgivable, given he looks like every middle aged American Dad. His high socks and giant early 90s camcorder didn’t help his cause.

He asks if she’s met any of the members and she talks about Barkley and Jordan, again not realizing his face is on her shirt. The jig is up when Stockton’s young son points to the girl’s shirt and says “Hey Daddy, look, it’s a picture of you”. She finally pieces it together and realizes who she’s been talking to. It’s hilarious.

Great story, LP!

So if you are on the giving end, it is not gay? I feel that I learned something valuable today.

I think that’s the prison philosophy.

Apparently there are a lot of cultures and situations where this is the case. I was not raised in one, however.

Not surprised considering you were more famous than her at the time. You had the whole Stella videos thingy going on.

It was Bchads lips she couldn’t resist

I take it you guys never listened to DMX. He’s all about this – and barking of course

You are a celebrity now.

and The Iron Shiek. That’s how he makes you humble.

Out of everything in this thread, the image of this scenario cracks me up. LOL!

I understand why this is the case in Islamic cultures where women are supposed to be so pure and there’s little interaction between sexes allowed but I can’t understand the latin version of it. surely there are plenty women around to meet needs

Me too, I hope it was Rahul getting to meet his idol

I recgonized bchad when we took L3 together, thanks to his inspirational youtube video. Is it still up?