Movies

Came out here this year (dubbed or subbed in the theater). I liked it, but I like a lot of the other Ghiblis better (Grave of the Fireflies is the best, IMO).

But of course big budget films will NEVER be released simultaneously with Hulu or Netflix or whatever. It’s not price discrimination (b/c you can’t even pay to see it streaming early), but it could be thought of as some sort of time discrimination (b/c you have to wait to watch it on a streaming service).

Maybe index music sales (ex concerts) and movie sales to 100 and show them since 2000. I’m guessing that revenues from movies are up and from music are down.

Speaking of a movie that didn’t age well: Swingers.

^ yeah it looks dated but it’s still a classic.

@emichan you should watch East is East, or Bend it Like Beckham for some Kiera Knightley before she was Kiera Knightley.

saw Nightcrawler last night, a very good movie.

For whatever reason, Lou Bloom reminded me of Analyst Forum. I don’t know if it’s the Bateman quotes or the dispassionate analyst libertarian worldview…

Finally checked out Fury. Brilliant film, i didn’t fancy it from the previews but it was one of the best films I’ve seend in awhile

Speaking of which, also saw The Imitation Game and it was a great film. I would definitely recommend, if Cumberbatch doesn’t get an Oscar for that it will be a scandal.

Sounds like this Lou Bloom guy is pretty awesome.

I enjoyed Fury a lot as well.

To the guy who recommended Mr. Nobody… wtf is this? Some people just want to see the world burn…

I thought Dark Knight Rises was enjoyable. Obviously after Heath Ledger’s Joker it was going to seem like a let down but the movies underlining theme of ‘have’ and ‘have-nots’ and the timing of it’s release when that topic was on the forefront of everything gelled quite nicely. Tom Hardy’s portrayal of Bane was suitably chilling however the way they quickly cast him as nothing more than a sidekick towards the end was slightly irritating.

Anyway does anyone have any recommendation for non-english movies? I caught Infernal affairs on a recommendation and it is great. Similarly with No Man’s Land - slow but enjoyable. Shaitan was also a nice watch.

I have heard good things about the movie City of God and Divine intervention. Those 2 are next on the list.

Saw Gone Girl. Liked it.

^If you really want to get depressed about the Dark Knight Rises, think about what it could have been if Heath Ledger was still alive. The Joker was just hanging out in Arkham Asylum and would have surely played a part in the chaos following the fall of Gotham.

Amores Perros

Let the Right One In (this is a particularly creepy movie)

I read the book a few weeks ago…it’s farking terrifying. Haven’t seen the movie, but I hear it doesn’t hold up well against the book.

Hmm, I heard the opposite, which is pretty unusual.

Good recommendations. There’s also an English version that is particularly creepy.

Some other (recent) foreign movies:

A Separation

The Secret in their Eyes

Departures

Baader Meinhoff Complex

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring

Incendies

Moolaade

Secret World of Arietty

Ponyo

Ip Man

The Intouchables

Headhunters

Troll Hunter

The Hunt

Die Welle

We Are the Night

Amour

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days

City of God is a must. There’s another great Brazilian film about a boy going on a train to find his father but the name escapes me.

yeah rawraw recommended that shit.

City of God is incredible, that is one of the best movies I’ve seen.

Some good recommendations already, I’d 2nd Amores Perros and City of God. If you like both of them check out La Haine. “Assassan de la police! whoop whoop!”

Y Tu Mama Tambien, Old Boy, Motorcycle Diaries, Downfall, Das Experiment all come to mind. Amelie is a bit of a chick flick but still a great film.

Just realising I need to start watching world cinema again, the missus hates subtitles.