Moving US to Europe?

Have you thought about Australia? If I could I would move to either Sydney or Melbourne tomorrow.

I prefer the fear-inspiring “white supremacist”, or grandiose “grand wizard of fascism”? :grin:

bro shut up, we have more AF meetups to do … now, if we are going to talk hypothetically, i’d think germany would be the best bet for opportunity and the fact they all speak english.

PA is white…? could have sworn he was asian.

PA - are you forgetting rome? Remember, and then talk superiority.

Sadly I don’t get to do much “white supremacy”, because I’m surrounded by Asians. :sob:

Alphie, how does this new stance reconcile with you love of China? Are you saying:

Han Chinese> Caucasian > Indian CA > Top 3 MBA > CFA

Agree with this. Also try Southern California or South Florida.

Back to Europe: London is your best bet as there are few places in Europe for high finance that you’d probably get into (language and cultural barrier, lack of network, etc…). London might be interesting to you. However, coming from NYC, it might feel like a step back in a lot of ways. For example, many things shut down earlier and general convenience is definitely lacking. London is also very spread out so it’s not easy getting from one side of town to the other. If you’re more family oriented then London actually is a decent place (if you don’t mind the weather) because it has a more “collection of villages” feel than an actual city like NYC, HK, etc… Lastly, the proximity to Europe is a huge benefit.

If you’re really serious, I’d make an effort to establish some connections. First locally in the US (funds with a European presence,alumni network, etc…) and then when you can, take a few days in London and other places to network; you’d have to preplan a lot of that though since you’re not based there.

One last thing to consider about going abroad given your experience/age. You should consider family (they aren’t getting younger), as well as, difficulty with raising children without that support.

Amsterdam?

idk London Tube was way more convenient than the NYC subway, smaller trains but they ran way more frequently. Only knock is it doesnt run 24/7 but yea I agree generally that if you have lived in NYC then based on my limited experience you arent getting anything vastly different in London (not knocking London at all, just got similar vibes)

I’ve always imagined what it was like to have immigrated to Europe back when I was a kid. I would have liked to speak 3-4 languages.

^Just learn English, French and Spanish and you can go anywhere in the world.

There are definitely several things better about London vs. NYC; general cleanliness and more up-to-date infrastructure being a couple notable ones. Walking to Tube stops is usually further than in NYC. It also drove me nuts that there were basically no 24hr convenience stores. My gf got really sick once and there was only one all-night pharmacy in all of London; incredibly sketchy place.

I definitely hear you bud. I wouldn’t get too excited about EU politics or the legal system though; they can be just as bad, if not worse (particularly anywhere in Southern Europe). You just don’t hear about it as often.

That might be deal killer for me. Late night food and 24 hour convenience options are crucial for me, I tend to go through occasional bouts of keeping insomniac hours.

I’ve got family in Southern Europe; as mentioned above they say the politics is a disaster , and they’ve been there 20yrs and still don’t have citizenship (people tell me it’s “almost impossible” but dunno anything about it). Upside, the espresso is really great.

Europe (excluding London) > Hacksaw MBA > Utah > London

^ HA!

Ohai brings up a good point. Like if someone forced me to live in the US, hmmm. Actually we drove thru Oklahoma, and it wasn’t horrible. Sure, it’s Oklahoma I know! BUT, basically there’s nobody there, lots of free space, people were mannerly, probably they stay on their own property with their guns and dogs. Shrug, better than London! But what would you do for work??

Do they have internet yet? :frowning_face:

London, Amsterdam, Edinburgh, Dublin, Malta - all good spots for English speakers looking for finance jobs in Europe. Stockholm possibly too. London has more front office positions than the other cities combined.

Paris is a great city, but you would need to learn French realistically.

The med coast from Valencia around to Naples is beautiful and arguably has the highest quality of life in Europe if not the world, but would be tricky getting a front office job there - especially without being fluent in the local language.

most of the tube is now 24 hours, it changed last year I think. The night buses in London are also pretty good.

I agree that the lack of 24 hour food and convenience is a huge negative for London.

I remember moving from Edinburgh to London in my 20’s and being fecking horrified every time the last orders bell went at 11pm having been used to most pubs in Scotland closing at midnight at the earliest and there being loads of places open until 3am even mid week. In London you really need to be in the know to find somewhere to go after 11pm.

That’s good, it’s too tedious when people speak in riddles and expect you to read bw the lines lol

Image result for what the brits say and what they mean