Myer-Briggs personality classification and finance

Your Type is ENFJ Extraverted Intuitive Feeling Judging Strength of the preferences % 56 12 25 22

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Your Type is > ENFJ > Extraverted Intuitive Feeling Judging > Strength of the preferences % > 56 12 25 22 I think the CFA program is easier for introverts - one of the reasons I find it diffcult to study when all my friends are going out.

Interesting that there are so few Scientific types (as opposed to Intuitive types) don’t do this… maybe the IST* types are all accountants.

Looks like the test is more valid in general and more consistent across different trials/providers of tests - the more extreme someone is for each of the types. I think this is true of tests in general, whether they are qualitative or quantitative, psychological or non-psychological, etc. I think there’s still validity in something even if: - it can’t be quantified to the n-th decimal place (like physical sciences and quantitative finance can be) < and is instead > - more descriptive and qualitative in terms of words like “more/less likely, more/less frequent” (like social sciences and technical analysis are) Anyways, if all AF-ers were to meet at some convention, I bet the INTJs and more purely CFA types like myself, JustPass, wake2000, etc. would probably be totally unnoticed, hanging out in the periphery and feeling left out, before tiring of it and slipping out quietly halfway through. We would probably post a sentence or two on AF. Meanwhile, the more pure MBA types like JOE2010, bannisja, phillip.platt, etc. would be the life of the convention and probably headed to the bars afterwards, with phone numbers and e-mails, and shout-outs the next day. I think bchadwick would linger around until the end of the convention and decline any wild romps afterwards. He would notice the people like myself declining in number as the night goes on and end up being more talkative to the people who are left over.

I do know for a fact that this Myers Briggs test results change over time. I had taken this test when I started my work life around 1990. At that time I was found to be an INTJ. When I took the same test today – it showed up as an ISFJ. Both times though, the I factor was pretty high, and close to an E.

Perhaps it can even change on shorter timescales - people don’t feel the same during breakfast as they do after a long day of work. Kinda like trends in technical analysis. They are valid for the particular time frames that match their existence, with longer time frames and larger trends indicating more definiteness.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There was a post a few months ago where someone > made an interesting observation: > > - CFA is for introverts > - MBA is for extroverts > > I’ve been doing some research on the Myer-Briggs > personality classification and how it can be used > in finance, spurred on by one of P. Wilmott’s blog > entries. > > I have a strong feeling that the majority of the > regulars here (~100s or more posts) are of the > INTJ type, with the INTP type second in frequency, > and all other types in the vast minority. Here’s > a nice quick test: > > http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp > > > I scored pretty extreme in all areas of INTJ. I’d > be very interested to hear anyone’s thoughts about > the Myer-Briggs typology and especially its > relation to finance. > > (I find it very funny that the spellchecker > underlined CFA in red as incorrectly spelled but > doesn’t flag MBA.) That was me who said it, but I’m loud as sh*t

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think the CFA program is easier for introverts - > one of the reasons I find it diffcult to study > when all my friends are going out. The fact that you have friends (plural) and go out means that you aren’t an INTJ.

I just noticed how much more introverted the CFA Program has made me :wink: Your Type is ENFJ Extraverted Intuitive Feeling Judging Strength of the preferences % 56 88 12 11 You are: * moderately expressed extravert * very expressed intuitive personality * slightly expressed feeling personality * slightly expressed judging personality Famous people of your particular type Ronald Reagan, Pope John Paul II, Nick Nolte, Tony Blair, Katharine Graham They spelled extrovert wrong!

Now to go back and answer the questions like a rational value investor… - Ultra-nerdy - Has small group of friends - Is not overcome with emotions - Prefers to stay in and read books than party - Is intuitive - Has poor work/life balance - Bad with relationships

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/extravert Apparently there are two “correct” spellings - extrovert and extravert. Kinda like nuclear and nucular? Crazy.

Interesting sublimity, you learn something new everyday. I can’t believe how unscientific I am. I just finished “The Only Three Questions That Count” which basically preached the importance of the scientific method in investing. I also have an engineering background. This test sucks. Give all the I’s shots of vodka and they will become instant E’s :wink:

ISFJ 56 1 38 22 I have an MBA and a CFA. Go figure.

I’ve taken a test in the past and got INTP. I just took the humanmetrics one and got ENTJ.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Looks like the test is more valid in general and > more consistent across different trials/providers > of tests - the more extreme someone is for each of > the types. I think this is true of tests in > general, whether they are qualitative or > quantitative, psychological or non-psychological, > etc. > > I think there’s still validity in something even > if: > - it can’t be quantified to the n-th decimal place > (like physical sciences and quantitative finance > can be) > < and is instead > > - more descriptive and qualitative in terms of > words like “more/less likely, more/less frequent” > (like social sciences and technical analysis are) > > Anyways, if all AF-ers were to meet at some > convention, I bet the INTJs and more purely CFA > types like myself, JustPass, wake2000, etc. would > probably be totally unnoticed, hanging out in the > periphery and feeling left out, before tiring of > it and slipping out quietly halfway through. We > would probably post a sentence or two on AF. > > Meanwhile, the more pure MBA types like JOE2010, > bannisja, phillip.platt, etc. would be the life of > the convention and probably headed to the bars > afterwards, with phone numbers and e-mails, and > shout-outs the next day. > > I think bchadwick would linger around until the > end of the convention and decline any wild romps > afterwards. He would notice the people like > myself declining in number as the night goes on > and end up being more talkative to the people who > are left over. as an ENFJ i would probably try to engage in a conversation with you because id want everyone to particpate. and as a recovering alcoholic, id assure you that i wont be going to any bars though i might start pop locking like chris brown.

> I think bchadwick would linger around until the > end of the convention and decline any wild romps > afterwards. He would notice the people like > myself declining in number as the night goes on > and end up being more talkative to the people who > are left over. This is scary… you have me pegged well (I do occasionally go for some debauchery, but it’s more like a decadent European than like a drunk back-slapping frat-boy).

INTJ Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging 67 50 38 44 Kind of explains why i would do all 3 levels when i am not in the field and not even planning to go into the field…

ENFJ 56 62 50 22

INTP Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving 67 19 1 44

Please keep them coming, everyone. Post your type, here’s the link again. http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp