Need to make decision ASAP

Long time reader, first time poster…Anyways, Currently I am working at one of the top 3 fixed-income asset managers in the world BUT its in operations (fund admin. = back-office). I have an opportunity to be an ibank analyst at a boutique m&a shop. I wanted to get your guys input about what I should do. I know career goals play a big factor but I figure as a new college grad I have more flexibility to explore. Basically, I don’t want to be pigeonholed as back-office. That being said: Pros: analyst role, more hands-on learning, greater exposure to finance, partners are former Goldman execs Cons: less pay, less benefits, work is 75% “research” and only 25% quant (i think basically a google whore) Is it just better to get out of the back-office asap?

take it. end of story.

take it

are you kidding me… stay in ops…

definitely take it assuming you will learn a lot, but i would be wary of any IB analyst role that pays less than ops. make sure its legit.

Forgot to add there is also bonuses.

take it… ops will be there…

If you have to ask this question, you should stay in ops… :stuck_out_tongue:

jeff_s Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > take it. end of story. agreed, the contacts exposure and learning experience are immense. I wouldnt hesitate If you want to be in finance or if you want to learn, grow and do something atleast somewhat stimulating well there isn’t much opportunity for that in a BO role.

Here is the job description: Company Description _______________ is a boutique merger and acquisition firm specializing in strategic acquisition services for middle market public and private corporations. At the core of our services is our ability to help our clients define/refine their acquisition strategy, thoroughly research and strategically map all potential acquisition targets, proactively approach the most desirable targets, and assist with valuation, due diligence and other client needs. The companys client base is made up of both public and private companies, and private equity funds, operating in a broad range of industries from aerospace manufacturing to consumer products to financial services. Job Qualifications This fast paced work environment requires a hardworking, organized and self-directed professional who can effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously. Candidates should exhibit a strong desire to learn, possess a curious nature to delve deeply, ask questions and think outside of the box. Candidates must have excellent MS Office computer skills and be proficient utilizing MS Access and VISO. Prior experience conducting research and organizing findings would be very beneficial. The Investment Banking Analyst position requires excellent analytical and project management skills as well as outstanding oral and written communication skills. A liberal arts degree from an accredited four year college or university is required. A financial background and/or coursework would be beneficial. Job Description Investment Banking Analyst Company Overview _________ is a boutique merger and acquisition firm specializing in strategic acquisition services for middle market public and private corporations. At the core of our services is our ability to help our clients define/refine their acquisition strategy, thoroughly research and strategically map all potential acquisition targets, proactively approach the most desirable targets, and assist with valuation, due diligence and other client needs. The companys client base is made up of both public and private companies, and private equity funds, operating in a broad range of industries from aerospace manufacturing to consumer products to financial services. Position Description Reporting to the firms partners, the Analyst will provide secondary research and financial analysis on a wide range of companies and industries. This is an entry-level position which provides an outstanding opportunity to learn about the investment banking field. The primary duties for the position include: Provide analytical support for merger and acquisition transactions on behalf of the firms clients. Research a diverse group of industries and companies on behalf of the firms clients. Maintain the firms extensive database of potential acquisition targets. Interact with potential acquisition targets to develop information for our clients. Support the marketing of the firms services with industry research and preparation of marketing presentations. Requirements: This fast paced work environment requires a hardworking, organized and self-directed professional who can effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously. Candidates should exhibit a strong desire to learn, possess a curious nature to delve deeply, ask questions and think outside of the box. Candidates must have excellent MS Office computer skills and be proficient utilizing MS Access and VISO. Prior experience conducting research and organizing findings would be very beneficial. The Investment Banking Analyst position requires excellent analytical and project management skills as well as outstanding oral and written communication skills. A liberal arts degree from an accredited four year college or university is required. A financial background and/or coursework would be beneficial.

Can you still learn at the Fixed Income firm you’re at? Is there not growth potential in a top 3 firm? What are the top 3 Fixed Income firms anyways?

In no specific order: PIMCO Western Asset Blackrock

I would think the hardes part of those firms is actually getting in. I’d think that once in, one can work out of back office into front office, but it would take some time and patience. If you leave one of those and go to a boutique, there may be a risk of not being able to come back to one of those firms. Also, if you have one of those firms on your resume, can’t you jump to a bigger IB like Jeffries? I’d just be concerned about the future of the small bank and career growth inside a smaller shop

thekanpin: Does your first name begin with the letter “A” by any chance?

stylemog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > definitely take it assuming you will learn a lot, > but i would be wary of any IB analyst role that > pays less than ops. make sure its legit. Agree.

I think the reason it is less pay is because he’s currently getting overtime.

if it pays less then BO I would say bullsh*t

the firm that is hiring does not start with “A” and yes, the boutique firm would not pay OT. the job I have now does