New to the Forums, Introducing myself

Hello, My name is Dave Lee, I’m currently living in New York. I just turned 25 years old, and currently working for Chase as a personal banker. I’m not a big shot as most of you are on here…I do have a series 6, 63 and life insurance license ( i know it’s nothing). I don’t really have such a hot degree either. I have no excuse but to blame myself, I was lazy and careless. But I decided to pick myself up, sign up for the CFA exam to educate myself further. I graduated from Stonybrook University in New York with an Econ degree. I was a Jr. Loan Officer through out college and now working as a personal Banker. I’ve been working with Chase for a year now. I’ve been doing some research, but I cannot really pinpoint where I should start if I want to get into Asset Management in the future. I read that I should start looking for a Jr. Analyst or Research Analyst position. It’s very nice to join this community, I got alot to learn, and hopefully I can contribute to your success as well.

Tell us now. Are you really Willy?

I’m not really sure what you mean by that…but no I’m not willy :).

What part of New York City do you live in?

I live in Fresh Meadow Queens County.

I also got a question for you all. I read on the CFAI site that what I’m doing is considered a qualifying work experience. But…it’s not really helping me or even getting me in the door to get into what I want to do. Where should I start? I did apply to jr. analyst and research analyst positions but no luck so far. Any advice?

I also got a question for you all. I read on the CFAI site that what I’m doing is considered a qualifying work experience. But…it’s not really helping me or even getting me in the door to get into what I want to do. Where should I start? I did apply to jr. analyst and research analyst positions but no luck so far. Any advice?

Keep your head up.

davexlee Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m not a big shot as most of you are on here Shame on me!!! Anyway, welcome to the AF. Get ready to kiss goodbye to your life for the next 3 years (at least)

Welcome to AF. The past thing to do is sign up for the CFA exams, pass one or two and meanwhile build a network up. Do some reasearch on some of your potential networks to look for people in the industry. Often times in a financial centre like NYC many people you interact with everyday are probably working in the markets. For instance members of your golf or squash club, someone you play beer ball with. Members of you church, charity or political party. Your friends friends’, your neighbors or distant relatives (there good for cold emails). There are probably more ops than you know off actually. Hell, I’ve even struck up conversations with random people reading CFA books or something remotely relevant to finance.

Keep in mind you are embarking on a 3-5 year mission with no garuntee of success. There’s up and downs (I’m in a down right now - just got rejected from a good job offer AGH!!!), but if you keep to it hopefully someday it will work out.

“(I’m in a down right now - just got rejected from a good job offer AGH!!!)” How do you get rejected from a “good job offer”?

Thanks for the welcome guys. I’m a banker here so I do meet face to face with alot of clients. Most clients are business owners, due to the area that I’m working in. I just got my books last night and started reading them. I ordered Schweser books. I cannot afford to get into a MBA program. Im looking to contact a few head hunters and find an analyst position that would prepare me to get to where I want to be in the future. I’m in retail banking so that would make me a salesman. I want to get into Asset Management eventually and hope to progress into portfolio management. Where should I start? Am I wasting time here? I learned alot about banking in a year time only…this job is becoming almost a joke to me now. What would you guys do in my shoes?

Short schweser and long Stalla (at least for level 1 & 2). Peter Olinto is the best accounting teacher you will ever have.

I had an interview over a month ago and haven’t heard back from the firm. I called and emailed them last week and still no word. Guess it wasn’t in the cards… btw I should have wrote opportunity not offer.

I applied to a few firms for jr. analyst positions and entry level analyst positions. I’m willing to take a big pay check cut to get the neccessary experience to work towards my goal. But it’s really tough for me to get my foot in the door. I have experience in financial sales, not analysis. It’s been about 2 months now that I’ve been applying.

Be patient and don’t take rejections personal. It’s tough to break in and many of us here are not big shot analysts.

why dont you see if you can move into the wealth mangment area in your bank …dealing with HNW people is better than hagglilng over mortgage rates