New Wiley/Elan Guides

The entire reason publishers use VitalSource rather than pdf is to try to make sharing your purchased materials with 100 of your buddies a little bit more difficult for you. If you could print entire books to pdf, then using Vitalsource would just be a waste of time for Wiley. If you want print books, why not buy print books?

Two reasons, one it costs more and two if the vitalsource books won’t be fully updated until December then that means you won’t get the printed books until at least January at the earliest. Take it from a retaker that you want to have started well before January if you’re going to pass.

Seems like complaining to Motel 6 that the TV in your room is chained down. Same reason: Because people steal them otherwise.

You mean we’re not supposed to take those? :stuck_out_tongue:

For those who tried to figure out how to “print” Elan material, I just tried on MAC, I logged into the http://online.vitalsource.com/#/books and from there you can select all (CTRL + A, but select the correct frame without the menu, make sure the preview is correct, I had to unselect “Selection” to have a great PDF view) and print (PDF print), the downside is you have to do it for each and every reading (might take 15/20 minutes in total)

Good luck :slight_smile:

PS: No need to ask me a version I will not provide any, it is for information only, and for those who actually paid for it until VitalSource provide us a better option.

Personnaly I use the PDF version with foxit on ipad, since you can highlight and it keep in memory the last page you read

Thanks tchoupimix, this is by far the easiest way to print the guides

Can I ask a kind of stupid question about Vitalsource? I appreciate this is probably super basic.

I’ve opened the new notes. I have my chapters down the left, and my main text body in the huge window pane infront of me.

Whenever I try and ‘scroll’ down the page using my down arrow button it just flicks me through the file windows and help tab at the very top. Really frustrating, as I now have to constantly use my mouse to scroll down.

Is anyone else having this problem?

not to hijack rexthedog’s question but has anyone used vitalsource on ipad? is it easier to use than on a pc?

It’s pretty much the same thing

Wondering when will the elan guide books will be available to be shipped?

If it’s that easy for anyone to copy Vitalsource books to pdf, then Wiley/Elan should just give us pdfs. Vitalsource doesn’t really add anything other than (apparently ineffective) copy protection.

I would guess, because they don’t provide incomplete material …

VitalSource is not a bad solution, the execution to provide content is not ideal (so far).

But i still think starting October with official CFAI material should be a good starts.

I enjoy this last month of peace laugh

How are the videos available?

Can they be downloaded for offline use on subway/commute? I have a long commute when I’m especially bored. If I have them downloaded on my phone/tablet, I won’t use up all my data on cellphone plan.

I had the same issue, i found a solution by googling. (be creative :D)

Are you talking about my issue (possibly using up my 4 GB data limit whiile streaming videos)?

I would like to know this as well. I didn’t buy any videos for L1 but I heard Olinto is great. But I might buy videos this time if they allow downloadable videos and give me a 40% discount.

btw: CFA-RETAKE doesn’t work for me.

I believe they are streaming only, I don’t see any way to download them unless you have 3rd party software that can do it

There is no more group discount? Is there any way to create group and share the costs? Any suggestions, thx?

Just so you all know…Elan is now claiming that the additional readings will be released after Jan 2015.

Eileen: Hello!

you: do you know when the release dates will be for the rest of the reading for CFA level 2?

Eileen: After January 2015

you: I thought Dec?

Eileen: After January 2015

you: so…sometime in Feb, March, April, May or June?

Eileen: Could be

Just looked at the schedule; there are 6 readings that are going to be available in Jan 2015.

Most of them are case studies from ethics. I read the curriculum for ethics anyways, so I’m not going to sweat it. This is 4 readings (glenarm, preston, super selection, & trade allocation0.

One reading is from econ - econ of regulation. Chances of triangular arbitrage or currency forwards are way higher to be on an item set. There might be one question from this reading. Not saying that I will skip this reading, but obviously the most practice and prep is going to go to tri. arb reading.

The last reading is from equity (your strategy needs a strategy). Again, not a biggie in terms of question and if I remember correctly, schweser notes from last year had 5-6 pages on it. I doubt the curriculum reading is more pages than that.

This is the first time I’m going through wiley because all of you guys rave about the material. I’m just glad that they have most of the big sections up already or available in Dec. Now if the ones in December don’t become available, I’d be worried.