Non-charter holders claiming they have a designation?

I’ve come to know / know of a few people who are using the CFA letters after their names, even though they don’t actually have the designation (e.g. just wrote the first exam, etc.) because it looks good on their titles / for their business interactions. Does the CFA Institute do anything to enforce the proper use of the designation?

If they are candidates, they are bound by the code of ethics and professional standards. Potentially they could be thrown out of the program, which probably wouldn’t do much if they just continue doing that. If they apply for a job, you are supposed to check with CFAI to ensure that there really is a charter for that person, so if anyone actually does that, they’ll find out the truth and that could cost them a job. CFAI may set lawyers on them, but that sounds expensive.

What could the CFAI really do besides send cease and desist letters?

as a charterholder I check about anyone i come into contact with on the membership directory… haven’t come across a fraud yet,expect can’t seem to find virgnCFAhooker or whatever that name was.

VirginCFAhooker is more of a man than I’ll ever be. RIP virginCFAhooker, RIP! (hats off)

ConvertArb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > as a charterholder I check about anyone i come > into contact with on the membership directory… > haven’t come across a fraud yet,expect can’t seem > to find virgnCFAhooker or whatever that name was. Can you post a link for this directory? Is it available to candidates?

If you pay the fee for membership, you (even candidates) can have access to the directory.

lillilland Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve come to know / know of a few people who are > using the CFA letters after their names, even > though they don’t actually have the designation > (e.g. just wrote the first exam, etc.) because it > looks good on their titles / for their business > interactions. > > Does the CFA Institute do anything to enforce the > proper use of the designation? hmm they wrote the exam but if they actually studied ethics, they probably wont pass and by considering their actions, they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Anyone can write level 1, I am not surprised the pass rate is mid thirties now with people like this.

I always say I passed level 1 but an not a charterholder. I know its a lot of work and would not want to take anything from someone that has EARN the charter.

Just ask the charterholder what they liked most about the exams - throw in a curve ball, like what did you do on the essay question in level 2. Catch em out.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just ask the charterholder what they liked most > about the exams - throw in a curve ball, like what > did you do on the essay question in level 2. Catch > em out. Level 2 was essays less than a decade ago…

you could always say, i am only 3 exams away from being a charterholder

Send them to a N. Korean prision…

lillilland Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve come to know / know of a few people who are > using the CFA letters after their names, even > though they don’t actually have the designation > (e.g. just wrote the first exam, etc.) because it > looks good on their titles / for their business > interactions. > > Does the CFA Institute do anything to enforce the > proper use of the designation? By the way, if you know this to be true, you should report it to the institute. I think they will follow up and take action. It’s what the members would expect. We don’t study hard for a pretty tough set of exams for others to deceitfully claim that they have it. They should also get fired IMO. I hope you follow up on the complaint to the CFAI.

^^ +1

I agree. I think it sux, considering all the work charterholders put in, and then some d-bags go along and do this is demeaning their effort REPORT IT, its your ethical duty as a charterholder or candidate!!

Probably a good idea to report it if you can document it. I thought about suggesting that earlier too, but wanted to avoid the intricate discussion on what makes the difference between a tattler/rat and someone who justifiably reports ethical infringements. If you have the charter, or have made progress toward obtaining one and are following the rules about what CFA means, you have been directly injured by those who claim to have one without doing the work to get it. Not just you, but everyone in the program.

Post their names here :slight_smile: Agree that this should be reported.

CFA Institute has a web-site where these things can be reported. They investigate thoroughly. I know someone who got busted for the same thing last year. I’d report it if I were you. Here’s the link to the web-site: http://www.cfainstitute.org/aboutus/conduct/complaint.html

I know a guy who used to work with me. He passed all 3 levels but does not have 4 years of exp. Yesterday I saw his profile on linkedin with CFA. That is marketing skills I guess