Not finding level II so difficult...

I have gone through (skimmed) ethics, portfolio managment, economics and begining corporate finance… The material is slightly more advanced than level I, but dosen’t feel “like getting raped without lube” as someone suggested… (Although I really have no basis for comparison) Is the material tested in a different manner than at level I? Anyone agree with me here?

I’ve read Quant and Econ. Econ wasn’t bad. Quant was a little tricky but looks manageable. I started FSA last night and it’s review so far but looks like it might not be so friendly later.

:slight_smile:

wait till after the exam…son

Blazini…are you serious about the material being tested differently? Level 1 is random multiple choice, formatted such that you can get away with being able to skip large portions of the curriculum and not be exposed. Level 2 will have 6 focused questions on a topic and you better know it inside and out. With the topics you said you skimmed: Ethics: much the same as Level 1, but adds additional material. 6 questions on this year’s ethics exam were from the additional material, so know it well. Economics: You’re right, the material isn’t that difficult. See how much you remember all the parity equations in May. Portfolio management: Ha ha. Good luck. There is so much material that they can throw at you here. I thought it would be easy. Thankfully it was only 5% of the exam this year or I probably wouldn’t have passed. Corp. finance: You’re right. This material is pretty easy. Better get your gimme points here. Like mzwerner said…wait til after the exam to proclaim how easy it is

I am a Level II candidate myself and I find johnnyblazini’s assessment hilarious. If he goes beyond “skimming” and aces some full-length practice exams, then I would not think his assessment was grossly ridiculous.

I’d say that the L2 material is not that hard to “skim”. After all, it uses the same 26 letters and 9 digits as the L1 material. But the real questions are: 1) Can you do the calculations/know the concepts on a “post-skim” test? 2) Can you recall it sufficiently after reading the entire (from what I recall) 15-20 freaking pounds of L2 material? I teach this stuff. So the L1 material wasn’t bad (it’s pretty much at the level of an undergrad finance program). In fact, although there were several sections I hadn’t taught (accounting, derivatives, FI), I really spent about 3-4 weeks in heavy studying for the exam So, I had a big advantage. But I found that the L2 curriculum had a great many section where I was “a bit familiar” with the material, but couldn’t recall it well enough to correctly answer questions. Take some mock tests and see how you do on them. You may well be one of the few who get it quickly. If so, more power to you. But you may find that you are underestimating the difficulty (or overestimating your grasp of it). Most of the people here on the L2 curriculum tend to be among the better students/higher IQ sections of the population (they’ve already survived the L1 exam, which eliminates about 3/4 of the people). So there’s a lot of hubris initially. But that fades once they start taking mock exams. The difficulty is often overstated (we use a lot of hyperbole and humor to leaven the workload). But take this puppy seriously.

if you learn everything in the L2 books do you actually also need to know the stuff in L1 books too?

Wait what? Are you asking if you can study for level I with Level II books? chankie888 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if you learn everything in the L2 books do you > actually also need to know the stuff in L1 books > too?

i can see I should have phrased the question better. I mean to sit Level 2 exam do i need to revisit and learn all the level 1 stuff too OR can i just learn all the material from level 2?

I passed Level II in June and thought it was 5x more difficult than level I. Not only were the concepts more difficult, but you have to read a vingette then know what you need to answer the question. If you want a reality check drop what you’re doing and head to the defined benefit pension plan section of FSA or better yet buy an old Schweser practice exam book on eBay for a few bucks. Try some of the vingettes for the sections that you’ve recently “skimmed” and see how you dol.

Asuming the Level I stuff is some what fresh in your mind you should be good to go only studying the level II material. Just be aware that level II builds on level I Bankin’ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I passed Level II in June and thought it was 5x > more difficult than level I. Not only were the > concepts more difficult, but you have to read a > vingette then know what you need to answer the > question. > > If you want a reality check drop what you’re doing > and head to the defined benefit pension plan > section of FSA or better yet buy an old Schweser > practice exam book on eBay for a few bucks. Try > some of the vingettes for the sections that you’ve > recently “skimmed” and see how you dol.

I am taking the puppy serioustly (I’m studying in september…), but it just isn’t as scary as some forum members make it out to be… For the sour retakers having epileptic fits (Fridgy), re-read my first statement, I didn’t say Level II was easy, but slightly distinct from lubeless anal rape… Perhaps if you re-read questions before answering them we woulden’t be having this conversation…:wink:

Blazini…I’m not a sour retaker. Passed the first time. Epileptic fit…nah, just find it funny when arrogant douches spout off

johnnyblazini Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am taking the puppy serioustly (I’m studying in > september…), but it just isn’t as scary as some > forum members make it out to be… > > For the sour retakers having epileptic fits > (Fridgy), re-read my first statement, I didn’t say > Level II was easy, but slightly distinct from > lubeless anal rape… Perhaps if you re-read > questions before answering them we woulden’t be > having this conversation…:wink: Nobody is saying that the exam is impossible. As long as you put enough hours and master all concepts you will do well. I would only suggest that you don’t underestimate the exam because it might be painful to have to take it again. Good luck!

Johnny, I understand what you are saying. I have read and taken notes through FSA so far and have not found any material to be as grueling as some have inferred. I have not mastered all of it yet as there is a fair amount of detail, but I feel pretty confident that I will not have a problem with the concepts come April / May. However, I have yet to hit some of my weaker areas from Level I (derivatives and alt. investments) and I am very nervous about cracking open those books…Should be mid October by the time I get there. Wish me luck as I will need every ounce I can get :stuck_out_tongue: TheChad

I have started equity like 2 weeks ago and it looks manageable, but few of my friends who have taken L2 exams and failed told me that questions in the L2 exams needs higher IQ and advance level of thinking as compared to L1. I will not know what they exactly mean until I will take sample and mock exams but the curriculum is not all that horrific as some people on this board described earlier. After reviewing all the curriculum books I will say you just have to loosen you a**h*** little bit but we are not talking about drilling a new one… goodluck everybody preparing for L2

> After reviewing all the curriculum books I will > say you just have to loosen you a**h*** little bit > but we are not talking about drilling a new one… That is slightly disturbing dude… Congratulation on passing the first time Fridge… Perhaps, you can now get a life and move on… Or at least participate in the technical question threads… And, like I said (I can see you need the repetitions) if I held an arrogant attitude towards this exam, I wouldn’t be studying in September…

Would I be correct in my assumption that the major differences in the curriculum will come in FSA?

johnnyblazini, I see your point I don’t think your not taking level II lightly, hell I don’t plan on starting level III studying until Jan. My advice do as problems as you can and take as many practice exams as yoiu can johnnyblazini Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > After reviewing all the curriculum books I will > > say you just have to loosen you a**h*** little > bit > > but we are not talking about drilling a new > one… > > That is slightly disturbing dude… > > > Congratulation on passing the first time Fridge… > Perhaps, you can now get a life and move on… Or > at least participate in the technical question > threads… > > And, like I said (I can see you need the > repetitions) if I held an arrogant attitude > towards this exam, I wouldn’t be studying in > September…