Now i am really starting to get worried...

That U.S. wont win more gold medals in olympics then china. Anyone with me?

Most likely yes. But of course everyone is predicting that! So maybe there will be an upset… 22 hrs till Opening Ceremony coverage starts up here!

i’m not expecting men’s basketball to win gold…they all say this is a better, more focused team talk is cheap, arrogants being arrogants once again

If we don’t it might end up being a good thing. I miss the Cold War years where it was US vs. USSR/East Germany. Made the games more fun to watch. Lately it’s all about what records the US might break.

I love the U.S. but you can’t compete with this: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/08/04/vause.gold.machines.cnn

More medals of any color for China? Possibly. More Golds? No way.

Eddie Deezen Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If we don’t it might end up being a good thing. > I miss the Cold War years where it was US vs. > USSR/East Germany. Made the games more fun to > watch. Lately it’s all about what records the US > might break. Good point yeah. The Summer games have been weak in this regard. Have no fear though with China rising it will get more fun again. My fav Olympics for the summers I remember were 2000 in Sydney. Would have loved to have been there, Aussies are awesome summer games fans and athletes (like the Norweigans at winter games) and put on a good show… Though my favoruite summer Olympic moment was in 96 in Georgia and Donovan Bailey!!! Good times!!! The 04 Athens marathon was cool to see in it’s home, the guy ruining it at the end was heartbreaking though. We’re hoping up here to take the cake in 2010 @ Vancouver, should be the best winter games yet I hope.

SkyinBrian521 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > More medals of any color for China? Possibly. > > More Golds? No way. ah ha… anyone checked the count yet???

Gold count: China: 9 U.S.: 3 Total medals are more less even at 14 and 12, respectively. http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/GL/95A/GL0000000.shtml Watching the Olympics is not exactly representative since China seems to clean up in some of the unusual events you never hear about and/or aren’t widely telecast.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Gold count: > > China: 9 > U.S.: 3 > > Total medals are more less even at 14 and 12, > respectively. > > http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/GL/95A/G > L0000000.shtml > > Watching the Olympics is not exactly > representative since China seems to clean up in > some of the unusual events you never hear about > and/or aren’t widely telecast. ahha exactly my point. i was just discussing it with my coworkers that if you really want to maximize gold medals count that what you should do

Someone should develop a weighting system based on the legitimacy of the events to determine the total number of ‘real’ gold medals won. I had a swimming coach in high school who claimed that sports requiring anything other than human bod(ies) (i.e. air pistols, balls, pucks, etc) technically were games- not sports.

cjones65 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Someone should develop a weighting system based on > the legitimacy of the events to determine the > total number of ‘real’ gold medals won. I had a > swimming coach in high school who claimed that > sports requiring anything other than human > bod(ies) (i.e. air pistols, balls, pucks, etc) > technically were games- not sports. By that definition, China is dominating. Five golds in weight lifting (I guess you can argue that the bar and weights aren’t part of the human body, but let’s not go overboard) and two in synchronized diving. I do agree though that these are not the sports that people typically think of for the summer Olympics like track and field, and swimming.

swimsuits, for example? cjones65 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Someone should develop a weighting system based on > the legitimacy of the events to determine the > total number of ‘real’ gold medals won. I had a > swimming coach in high school who claimed that > sports requiring anything other than human > bod(ies) (i.e. air pistols, balls, pucks, etc) > technically were games- not sports.

The events were announced well in advance and every had the same time and opportunity to prepare for them. I don’t see a point in trying to put China in the spot for winning more Golds or overall medals. Also, not all races have similar advantages. For example, certain races (such as Japanese, and other Asians) are short and they may not do as well in games such as Basketball. So, you just ride your luck in a lot of events. Admit that you were out prepared and out played when you don’t win at an event. Coming from India, we just one our first ever individual Olympic Gold (that’s right, first ever in Olympics history). We are just over joyed at it :wink: The last Olympic gold was in 1980 for field hockey. Yeah, we suck at sports!

aeolusloo Wrote: -------------------------------- >swimsuits, for example? ================== That was somebody else’s argument too. The coach argued that you could swim better naked. Now I remember more clearly. He was basically saying that anything you couldn’t do better naked was a game- not a sport; his point specifically was that football and baseball are games, but swimming and wrestling are sports.

CareerChange Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Also, not all races have similar advantages. For > example, certain races (such as Japanese, and > other Asians) are short and they may not do as > well in games such as Basketball. So, you just > ride your luck in a lot of events. > You are a racist moron. Please do not pretend you know what you’re talking about.

dean1981 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CareerChange Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > Also, not all races have similar advantages. > For > > example, certain races (such as Japanese, and > > other Asians) are short and they may not do as > > well in games such as Basketball. So, you just > > ride your luck in a lot of events. > > > > > You are a racist moron. Please do not pretend you > know what you’re talking about. ===================================== Hey give him a break. BBC ain’t racist. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6161691.stm

Actually, I wrote something really mean earlier, but I’ve decided to edit myself.

dean1981, I was just providing support to the notion that you espoused that people from different countries sometimes have different physical characteristics. This was far off-topic, and I apologize.

France: “we’re going to smash the Americans in the 4x100” America: .08, bitches