NYSC

Anyone belong to NYSC in New York? I went to the one on 76th/1st today for the first time, the machine and free weight selection pretty much sucks for a club that size, but that was somewhat offset by the abundance of spandex-clad lasses. Anyone else like/dislike their club?

sounds like you need to find a better gym

I like equinox a lot, they have a new one right by there that is supposed to be sick, but I haven’t been - on 74/2nd http://www.equinoxfitness.com/clubs/ClubTour.aspx?clubID=153 I usually go to the ones downtown b/c it is closer to where I live.

NYSC sucks but is probably the best choice all things considered. Feels like theres one every 10 blocks in Manhattan and I get access to any of them for $70/month. Equinox is better, but not better enough to justify the price difference.

Crunch is good (Astor Place); lots of locations I just joined the David Barton on Astor Place; it will be the best gym in the city I surmise

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just joined the David Barton on Astor Place; it > will be the best gym in the city I surmise I live near Astor Place - - has it opened yet , do you like it ?

Warning: I used to pee in the showers at all those fancy NYC health clubs!

Check out the floor plan --> walk down lafayette and they have an office. Not open yet; they’ve been pushing it back but mentioned around the 22nd of June.

“Warning: I used to pee in the showers at all those fancy NYC health clubs!” Well, that’s better than what some others do…

oh ok, I will check it out . . . it looks artsy, sexual, and vulgar = perfect . . . haha

Yep; it’s like a club…DJs spinnin, fashionistas and hot bodies. They are the only gym chain to win interior design awards; but don’t be fooled by all this…they have tons of cardio, top notch equipment and some serious steel Oh, and about the vulgar…probably want to keep outta the steam room; unless you folks are into that :slight_smile: --> though this place appears to be more of a mixed crowd then the Chelsea location

i traded in my nysc membership for club h… they have a couple of locations (murray hill and hells kitchen) in the city and i believe also in hobroken and jersey city. it’s probably a notch below equinox for the same price as nysc i’ve also heard good stuff about sports club la

JohnThainsLimoDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anyone belong to NYSC in New York? I went to the > one on 76th/1st today for the first time, the > machine and free weight selection pretty much > sucks for a club that size, but that was somewhat > offset by the abundance of spandex-clad lasses. > Anyone else like/dislike their club? Last year when I was trying to decide on which gym I would go to, I was looking at NYSC and Equinox. I knew a guy that worked out at the 14th st. location, and I didn’t really care for it. Outside of the questionable customer service (they lost my driver’s license during my trial - no seriously), I didn’t really think it was that great of a gym. The locker rooms were not as clean as they should have been, and it seemed fairly run down. The attitude of some of the patrons was piss poor as well - I’m a tall thin guy, but I’m in shape for my size (I’m 6’00" @ 160 ish). I don’t like being sneared at because I’m not putting up XXX pounds at whatever station. In their defense, I was told the 14th st. location was an exception, and not all locations were like that, but I am a firm believer in “you get what you pay for.” Equinox is definitely the best gym in the city, and there is one close to that 76th st. location above, but the trouble is the cost. I pay $134.00 a month for a single location, which is more than double the global NYSC rate. I think I might still have a couple guest passes (although they have expired).

I’ve worked out at 3 NYSCs so far. My home gym is actually pretty nice, very spacious, good machines, and never crowded. The one near my office on 51st and Lex is smaller, smells, and the people and staff there are pretty ghetto, so I don’t really like working out there. And the 76th St. one I tried because I’m probably moving near there, so far I’m not impressed with what I see, except for the female patrons.

I liked Boom a lot… There is one on the UES and also by Murray Hill

If u need a referral to nysc I will split the reward.

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yep; it’s like a club…DJs spinnin, fashionistas > and hot bodies. They are the only gym chain to win > interior design awards; but don’t be fooled by all > this…they have tons of cardio, top notch > equipment and some serious steel > > Oh, and about the vulgar…probably want to keep > outta the steam room; unless you folks are into > that :slight_smile: --> though this place appears to be > more of a mixed crowd then the Chelsea location it’s $99 a month with no initiation fee? That sounds really good- but do you think it will be as good as equinox? I don’t understand how they can afford good equipment at that rate … I wonder how much it is per month in the more established locations hmmm would be good to get a pass for the chelsea location to see how it is though - def looks cool

I used to belong to NYSC but let my membership drop. Now I just go jogging in the park and my apt building has a small gym I use when the weather is bad. The NYSC at 76th and 1st is pretty small. I ended going primarily to the one at 6th ave and 49th. You should check out Equinix has others have mentioned they have a new facility at 2nd ave and 74th.

^Where do you live? I’m thinking about moving into the E. 70s, looking for some thoughts on the neighborhood. Lot of good restaurants around there.

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just joined the David Barton on Astor Place; it > will be the best gym in the city I surmise Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t David Barton ‘for men’?