NYU Part-Time

Anyone one here going to NYU part-time for their MBA or have? I was thinking about it, anyone know the GMAT scores required? This is just post-planning after L3, hopefully…

Part-time NYU is big when you work for a company who will pay for your MBA but requires you to continue to work for the firm (at least at some capacity). Its ~ 4 years long. My buddy’s firm, (a big european bank), will pay for it. He got a 710 on his GMAT (hes really not that smart of a kid, goes to show how flimsy the GMAT is). He got kicked out of his undergrad and finished up someplace else (maybe ranked 100-200?) with decent enough grades. He’ll work two-three years at this bank at some useless job as a trading assistant (confirmations, updating website blah blah) and he is optimistic he will get in. Sorry it nothing substantial, but its all i got right now.

Part-time NYU is big when you work for a company who will pay for your MBA but requires you to continue to work for the firm (at least at some capacity). Its ~ 4 years long. My buddy’s firm, (a big european bank), will pay for it. He got a 710 on his GMAT (hes really not that smart of a kid, goes to show how flimsy the GMAT is). He got kicked out of his undergrad and finished up someplace else (maybe ranked 100-200?) with decent enough grades. He’ll work two-three years at this bank at some useless job as a trading assistant (confirmations, updating website blah blah) and he is optimistic he will get in. Sorry it nothing substantial, but its all i got right now.

Yeah my employer will pay for it so of course it’ll have to be PT.

I think CFA charter should override the need for a GMT :slight_smile:

yoyoyo big, i am applying for Spring, would be fun taking classes together!!

Oh I still have to take GMATs and decided if I want to go so soon. CSK I may be tapping into you for some Q’s after the exam. I “may” apply for Fall 2009…

i took GMAT after L2 :slight_smile: back to back baby!

you’re crazy :wink:

i’m looking at it as it is the best p-t program in nyc. i think the gmat is slightly lower than the f-t, somewhere in the high 600s. it can be done in 3 years. i’m also thinking about columbia f-t and working f-t but don’t know how feasible that is.

funk - not feasible.

yeah i would agree for most people. but my bosses are pretty lax on face time. they’re only in the office for 4 to 6 hrs a day and they offered to give me fridays off if i did nyu p-t so it got me thinking about the possib of columbia. i’m at a lower mm pe fund so we’re not driven by the market. we kind of work around our own schedule. we do about 1-2 deals a year so during crunch time which is not all that often if need be i’ll cut classes. i’ve completed cfa and had an underg in finance so none of the material’s going to be that new either, and grades aren’t that important. the thing i am concerned about is having the time to make all the networking functions as that’s key. there’s actually a pe fund in town that employs a couple associates who are enrolled f-t at columbia. i knew a former associate there who was juggling cfa3, uchicago, and closing a deal at the same time.

fred - If you can get Fridays off look at the executive MBA programs at Columbia and Wharton (if you have the grades/scores to get in)

I would love to go back to Philly for Wharton, but being in CT it’s not practicle for me at least.

thanks for the suggestion super I, but i’m only 26 with less than 4 years of experience, my impression is that exec mba’s have 10+ years under their belt. i would love to do wharton though, perhaps it’s worth waiting then.

I am currently going to NYU part-time… it’s great, but be forewarned that the career services is practically worthless. They will help you review your resume, help w/ interviewing skills, etc. but that’s about the extent of what they will do to help you get a new job. As a part-timer you cannot (except under certain limited circumstances) attend full-time recruiting events, be part of on-campus interviewing, etc. So just beware of that if you decide to invest the substantial time and money. BTW I got in the mid-700s on GMAT but have not really been impressed with some people I’ve met in the program for what it’s worth.

Ive been considering NYU Part-Time. Finding work after college sucked for me cause I went to a no name, so the campus’s recruiting was garbage. I had to do all of the work myself and ended up finding a nice job given my background. But coming from a top notch school, I wonder what the real advantage(s) of the recruiting process is. Meaning would it be worth it to go FT just for the recruiting?

Yes, if you can stomach the 2 years off work and related loss of income + the $$$ cost of attending school, I would suggest full-time. From the outside looking in it seems like those folks are handed sweet jobs on silver platter… however it is obviously no guarantee and you never know what the economic conditions will be like when you are graduating. You need to consider the positives and negatives of both and determine which makes the most sense for you.

Furthermore, the lack of career services (or I guess I should say the extremely limited career services) offered to part-timers I believe is a big reason why Stern dropped from somewhere in the top 5 or so to 25 in the part-time ranking by Business Week. My theory is that the school values their full-time ranking much more than PT so therefore keeps the good jobs for the full-timers so that those rankings turn out much higher. I think other part-time programs (U of Chicago for example) have found a way to include part-timers in their on-campus recruiting and NYU should find a way to do so as well.

The recruiting isnt a big deal to me as I already have a job and would be goign PT b/c my company would pay for it in full…but would have to stay for anotehr year after completion, no biggy.