Obama wins Nobel peace prize

HUH??? WHAAAAT THE FUUUU…??? But shocked reactions aside, at least this is much less preposterous than Al Gore.

ha.

“Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world’s attention and given its people hope for a better future,” said Thorbjoern Jagland, chairman of the Nobel Committee. I guess “giving hope” is enough to get the prize.

Drudge report unbiased linked headlines: OCTOBER SURPRISE: OBAMA WINS NOBEL PEACE PRIZE… MIXED REVIEWS; ‘EMBARRASSING JOKE’… PAPER: This makes mockery of peace prize… ‘FOR WHAT’?

I think the peace prize officially became a joke when Yassir Arafat won it.

This is as laughable as giving him the Cy Young Award for throwing out the first pitch for the White Sox.

Who would you rather have given it to? In any case I’d rather prefer “giving hope” than the opposite.

I heard Derek Jeter was a close second - for bringing serenity and stability back to one of the world’s leading financial/fashion/culture capitals.

I’m generally opposed to giving Nobel prizes to politicians, since it skews public opinion in their favor. However, if you disregard that, I actually can’t think of anyone else who has visibly contributed more to international relations than Obama. So while this is surprising, I don’t think it’s unjustified.

It makes me think less of the award, not more of Obama.

you gotto be f$%^cking kidding me

What about Bill Clinton and his foundation?

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What about Bill Clinton and his foundation? I’d even throw Klaus Schwab out there for building a forum that has attracted world leaders from all corners and facets.

What about Shaq and Kobe? The hugged and made up for crying out loud!

Bill Clinton tried to win this prize for years. He must be pissed that Obama scoops in and wins the award. Another victory for Obama over Clinton.

JensensalphaMale Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It makes me think less of the award, not more of > Obama. +1 - sure he was in the office for less than TWO WEEKS when he was nominated…wtf did he do within that space of time that made us all feel hopeful?! ALso…Al Gore won it - what’s the point in continuing after that?

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think the peace prize officially became a joke > when Yassir Arafat won it.

Man I really feel bad for all the pageant queens out there who have been for years hoping and praying for world peace (while doing nothing of tangible value to advance their cause). Poor girls must feel so snubbed right now!

all hail the chosen one

The peace prize will always be of controversy, only the scientific field ones are truly deserving.