Obama wins Nobel peace prize

king_kong Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NakedPuts Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > On a more relevant and interesting topic: I > try > > not to take awards too seriously, but if Jeter > > wins the MVP over Mauer the BBWA should just > admit > > they don’t really watch or understand baseball, > > and are an ancient relic of a bygone time. > > > How do you figure? While Mauer’s offensive > statistics are slightly better than Jeter’s, I > would argue Jeter is better at the intangibles > such as being a great leader, and a great base > runner. He had is on a vastly superior team (as > will be shown in this series), and played just > about every game this year, while Mauer only > played 4/5 games or so as a catcher. > > Don’t worry though, Mauer will obviously win the > title. There are certain people in the BBWA that > hate the yanks so much they wouldn’t even vote for > Jeter as MVP - see a few years back when he was > the leading candidate to win it and some of them > gave him a 6th place vote. Mauer’s numbers are not just slightly better, they are in another sphere of greatness. Plus, he achieved those numbers in fewer games - making it a more impressive achievement. Again as you stated, Jeter plays on a much better team - e.g. if Jeter was out they still would have a good record. When Mauer was out the Twins really struggled. That’s the point of an MVP, not who’s team had more wins.

BO doesn’t deserve it at all, for all the good reasons many listed above. BO believes he can give a great talk about hope, peace, whatever. But is talk is cheap… He’s done nothing yet. The real hero making the world a safe and peaceful place in the past 25 yrs is Ronald Reagan. He bankcrupted the Soviet Union by arm racing them. Thus, the world is free from the spat between 2 nuclear elephants.

Only a pure yankee fan would think Jeter deserves over Mauer. Catcher is the important and difficult position to play. Also he led his team into the playoffs with a crazy final 20 game period. The Yankees clinched back in July. There is no competition here. Same thing with CC and the CY, Grienke better win it, the guy has been the best SP in years and in the AL nonetheless.

king_kong Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wait you are trying to have a civil argument with > logical points with very left-wing liberals? > That’s like trying to teach a monkey to do > algebra. I fixed it. Thanks. Real great example of civility king_kong. Calling people “monkeys.” The fact of the matter is that BO has produced no concrete results. Yet, his supporters are already asserting the fact that the worlds savior has walked on water. BO is a great orator and has entertained many through his words. Its unfortunate that a bad experience with a republican President has created a mass hysteria around BO (on top of the the hysteria that we elected an African American). BO is not a black man. He is just a man and should be judged on the basis of his actions (and not receive extra credit for the color of his skin or his rhetoric). I’m all for evidenced based decision making. And the evidence is not in.

I’ve nothing against Obama, but the Peace prize just seems so arbitrary. Maybe they should just scrap the category altogether.

itstoohot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > needhelp Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hey guys, chillax. As O pointed out himself the > > award is a call to action. It is true that > > internationally he has inspired hope. The world > is > > now urging him to bring peace to it. Its like > if > > someone awards you the CFA charter right out of > > college with and English major. WOuldnt you > then > > spend the rest of your life becoming the > greatest > > finance guy ever? > > needhelp, last year American people awarded him > with the presidency, he has all the power and > tools to make the world a better, safer place. He > doesn’t need a nobel prize to achieve what he is > already supposed to. I have a great respect for > him but like one of the pundits called him on tv > last week he is just a charismatic outsider. Ummm dude, check out a map…the world <> USA and vice versa. Americans are far removed from the reality of the politics of the world. the world sees Obama as a hope to treat humanity with equality across borders.

No a biased yankee fan would think CC and Jeter should both win. I definitely agree that Grienke should win, he had far and away the best season as a pitcher. And thats what the Cy Young is - the best pitcher. However, the MVP is the most valuable player. Jeter is the most valuable player in the league because he was able to hold together a team full of overpaid egomaniacs. And if you think the yankees would be just as good without him, you’re clearly showing that you never watch yankee games. He is the best base runner in the game (notice I didn’t say fastest), and is great defensively. If you want to give the award based on just stats, might as well give it to Teixeira who led the leagues in homers and rbis, was 6th in runs scored, and 15th in OBP.

Generally, citizens of the world view this award positively - they appreciate the message that Obama brings the world - one of increased cooperation and a willingness to partner with others on a message of hope and peace. It is not as well received by many of the ideologues that inhabit the American cyberworld spreading their message of hate and narrow talking points of wedge politics. If you see the world as a bigger place than your narrow self interests - you will see this positively. Even if he has not been able to accomplish the lofty goals he’s set out, Obama has changed the political climate internationally where the US is now a constructive force for positive change in the world. For this alone, he deserves credit. (By the way I would be interested to know who nominated him for the award, given that the deadline was Feb 1st, 12 days after he became president)

+1 to Zack Greinke!

ValueAddict Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I fixed it. Thanks. > > Real great example of civility king_kong. Calling > people “monkeys.” > > The fact of the matter is that BO has produced no > concrete results. Yet, his supporters are already > asserting the fact that the worlds savior has > walked on water. BO is a great orator and has > entertained many through his words. Its > unfortunate that a bad experience with a > republican President has created a mass hysteria > around BO (on top of the the hysteria that we > elected an African American). > > BO is not a black man. He is just a man and > should be judged on the basis of his actions (and > not receive extra credit for the color of his skin > or his rhetoric). I’m all for evidenced based > decision making. And the evidence is not in. You must not have read my post very well. I didn’t call anyone a monkey. It was a METAPHOR. And yes, I would agree the way you change my post as well. But if you don’t agree with the post as it was written originally, you’re proving my point.

Bankin’ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hadouken Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > This is as laughable as giving him the Cy Young > > Award for throwing out the first pitch for the > > White Sox. > > > Love it! http://www.tmrzoo.com/?p=4967 Major League Baseball made a major announcement today. Barack Obama’s spectacular first pitch at July’s St. Louis Cardinals game has earned him this year’s Cy Young Award. The President said that he was humbled by the honor. The President said he is going to proudly display the Cy Young between the Tony Award he received for “Best Applauding by an Audience Member” while attending “The Little Mermaid” on Broadway and his Oscar for “Best DVD Rental Choice By A World Leader” for his Netflix selection of “Seven Pounds” featuring Will Smith. The president also commented he was excited for the upcoming Grammy Awards. “I really like my chances this year”! I have some great stuff on my Ipod, bellowed an enthusiastic Barack.

"Jeter is the most valuable player in the league because he was able to hold together a team full of overpaid egomaniacs. And if you think the yankees would be just as good without him, you’re clearly showing that you never watch yankee games. People trot out this “valuable” player argument every year, and every year the smart people are forced to remind them the instructions are “There is no clear-cut definition of what Most Valuable means. It is up to the individual voter to decide who was the Most Valuable Player in each league to his team. The MVP need not come from a division winner or other playoff qualifier.” Obviously the yanks would be worth less without Jeter - I don’t really care for him, be he legitimately is one of the top 10 players in the game. Top 5 AL batters in VORP (truest measure of “value”), 5-1: Adam Lind, 58 Jason Bartlett 58.5 Ben Zobrist, 61 Derek Jeter, 68 Joe Mauer, 91

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > itstoohot Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > needhelp Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Hey guys, chillax. As O pointed out himself > the > > > award is a call to action. It is true that > > > internationally he has inspired hope. The > world > > is > > > now urging him to bring peace to it. Its like > > if > > > someone awards you the CFA charter right out > of > > > college with and English major. WOuldnt you > > then > > > spend the rest of your life becoming the > > greatest > > > finance guy ever? > > > > needhelp, last year American people awarded him > > with the presidency, he has all the power and > > tools to make the world a better, safer place. > He > > doesn’t need a nobel prize to achieve what he > is > > already supposed to. I have a great respect for > > him but like one of the pundits called him on > tv > > last week he is just a charismatic outsider. > > Ummm dude, check out a map…the world <> USA and > vice versa. Americans are far removed from the > reality of the politics of the world. the world > sees Obama as a hope to treat humanity with > equality across borders. that shows the vision of the award committee and teh people who think awarding an English major right out of the college with CFA will make him a better investor one day, pal.

You guys are obsessed with “concrete results”, life isn’t concrete, step out of your box.

I think you guys are underestimating the effect that Obama has had on the world’s perception of the US, even before he was elected. I grew up in a predominantly Muslim country and witnessed personally how public perception of the US plummeted during GW Bush’s terms in office. Today, Obama has all but reversed this. During Obama’s presidential campaign, he had already changed the way people in other countries thought about America. The very notion that someone like Obama, (not white, and raised abroad) could be elected as president was profoundly powerful. He has used this perception to effect improvement in diplomatic relations with other countries. I truly believe that this alone should justify Obama’s winning the Nobel peace prize.

So lets recap: BO becomes P promising hope and change. BO get crappy economy and a huge bailout package. The world suffers more as Americans still eat 3 squares Americans want jobs, World wants food and water BO is all over TV and late night shows Palin is a goner Letterman is a pig Swine flu is a wanna be flu BO wins Nobel Nothing changes

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You guys are obsessed with “concrete results”, > life isn’t concrete, step out of your box. I guess I’m too “black and white” because I think that someone like Sima Samar deserves a peace prize award more than a guy who shows great promise: Sima Samar, women’s rights activist in Afghanistan: “With dogged persistence and at great personal risk, she kept her schools and clinics open in Afghanistan even during the most repressive days of the Taliban regime, whose laws prohibited the education of girls past the age of eight. When the Taliban fell, Samar returned to Kabul and accepted the post of Minister for Women’s Affairs.”

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > purealpha Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > You guys are obsessed with “concrete results”, > > life isn’t concrete, step out of your box. > > I guess I’m too “black and white” because I think > that someone like Sima Samar deserves a peace > prize award more than a guy who shows great > promise: > > Sima Samar, women’s rights activist in > Afghanistan: “With dogged persistence and at great > personal risk, she kept her schools and clinics > open in Afghanistan even during the most > repressive days of the Taliban regime, whose laws > prohibited the education of girls past the age of > eight. When the Taliban fell, Samar returned to > Kabul and accepted the post of Minister for > Women’s Affairs.” Watch out, mo34’s going to play the race card on you.

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It is not as well received by many of the > ideologues that inhabit the American cyberworld > spreading their message of hate and narrow talking > points of wedge politics. you are an idealogue, just on the left. why are you special? > > (By the way I would be interested to know who > nominated him for the award, given that the > deadline was Feb 1st, 12 days after he became > president) good point.

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > purealpha Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > You guys are obsessed with “concrete results”, > > life isn’t concrete, step out of your box. > > I guess I’m too “black and white” because I think > that someone like Sima Samar deserves a peace > prize award more than a guy who shows great > promise: > > Sima Samar, women’s rights activist in > Afghanistan: “With dogged persistence and at great > personal risk, she kept her schools and clinics > open in Afghanistan even during the most > repressive days of the Taliban regime, whose laws > prohibited the education of girls past the age of > eight. When the Taliban fell, Samar returned to > Kabul and accepted the post of Minister for > Women’s Affairs.” That’s great, but how is this even on the same scale as what Obama has done? He has already changed the way that almost every person in the world perceives the most powerful country in the world. That’s a pretty concrete thing.