OBL is Dead

Osama is dead …thats for sure but I am not sure if this is the final installment of his death. They dumped him in an ocean…a wave could carry him ashore and he could rise again a la matt damon’s bourne identity Boogeyman still alive…America is not safe

Like most right minded people I am pleased that Bin Laden has finally been found. I would have preferred to have seen him put on trial within the rule of law, but am not sad to see he has been killed in this way given what he did. However, I am not keen on the fist pumping and shouts of USA-USA that resemble a football match. This will no doubt inflame those who are Bin Laden’s followers in the poorer regions of the world who see the presence of the USA in their countries as an imposition. All too vulgar for my liking and a rather poor indictment on a society that prides itself as the most advanced. In the old days, there used to be magnanimity in victory.

^ agreed. Although we have all sorts. I have liberal friends calling Osama a martyr and a victim of American terrorism. One chick I know posted on facebook that the we Americans are the last terrorists on the planet. I commented, “what about Israel?” just to be coy.

^^^Your Friend cant be American is he/she?

Palantir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I disagree with those who say Bin Laden was merely > a symbolic figure. He was someone that was trying > to build links between all the different Islamist > movements throughout the world, from Kashmir to > Mindanao to Chechnya, movements that are > inherently local and turning them into a unified > global jihad. It’s hard to see others following in > his footsteps and looking to play the same role, > so I don’t think anyone will really replace him > soon. > > > > Regarding SEALS, (in case it is public info), is > only DEVGRU used for hostage rescue and > anti-terrorist strikes like this one, or are the > other SEAL teams also used? All SEALS are trained and capable, but when they have the option (they’ve been planning this since last August, so they could pick their team) and when it’s ultra high priority like this, then DEVGRU is gonna be the top selection.

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ agreed. > > Although we have all sorts. I have liberal > friends calling Osama a martyr and a victim of > American terrorism. One chick I know posted on > facebook that the we Americans are the last > terrorists on the planet. I commented, “what > about Israel?” just to be coy. Ugh I have these same friends. Sadly they are well educated, but still dumb as rocks. Also, to whatever political spectrum, why can’t people just enjoy that an incredibly good and long overdue thing happened and leave politics out of this for just a bit.

I am happy with outcome. I wish US intelligence would find him sooner, so more life would have been saved, but nevertheless, it is a great achievement (even if not strategically, but morally)

The guy effectively declared war on the United States (and the West) and showed that he could organize things to make that threat real. I’m sad it had to come to this, and hope this kind of thing doesn’t become our standard operating procedure for anyone we don’t like, but I’m glad he’s been taken down, and I’m really happy that those who lost loved ones on September 11th have some sense that justice has been (albeit belatedly and incompletely) served.

This is an interesting one to watch people spin. I think conservatives loved what Obama did, except that Obama did it, not them. I think Libs hate what Obama did, but feel like they need to take credit for it, even though they secretly wish Osama and Obama could have hugged it out instead. The fact that his cabinet was divided over what to do is proof enough of that. Jesus, if the CIA tells me they got a 50 percent chance that Bin Laden is in a compound in pakistan or a 50% chance its my mother I’d say, “Where’s the button?” On the one hand he had hawks like Gates, Panetta, and Clinton shouting at him murder/death/kill now! The other half of his cabinet is probably filled with 27 year old speeh writers saying, “This isn’t the change I signed up for? How am I gonna quote Martin Luther King in this speech?” The tongue lashing I’ve gotten from some of my American liberal friends on facebook is pretty interesting. Because these are the same people who acted like Obama was Jesus Christ and Santa Claus wrapped into the same person when he was elected. Obama’s speech on Sunday was so Bushesque I couldn’t believe it. It was even inarticulate like Bush.

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This is an interesting one to watch people spin. > I think conservatives loved what Obama did, except > that Obama did it, not them. i think made the decision to follow obl for two reasons. 1) we were already in the region so it was easy to intensify the pursuit. 2) they personally attacked him several times (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/world/africa/19iht-qaeda.4.17972330.html, http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/19/alqaida-zawahiri-obama-white-house)

Apparently we’re gonna get some photos released in the next 24 hours and they are not going to be pretty. Bin Laden got his head just about blown off in the operation.

The video of the ops will be released soon as well.

Rainbow Six - Abbotabad to immediately follow that.

if the CIA tells me they got a 50 percent chance that Bin Laden is in a compound in pakistan or a 50% chance its my mother I’d say, “Where’s the button?” ur mum must be quite proud

Not at all, from what I’ve seen, I think liberals are really quite proud that Obama did it, being one of their “own” to pull it off. And they’re resenting the fact that conservatives are really loath to give credit to Obama. Think about who everyone would have blamed if the operation had gone wrong. Now there are some liberals that are like “Obama is a killer for doing this”, but they are a really tiny minority.

It took 10 years to get him! Was that a good job?

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Like most right minded people I am pleased that > Bin Laden has finally been found. I would have > preferred to have seen him put on trial within the > rule of law, but am not sad to see he has been > killed in this way given what he did. > > However, I am not keen on the fist pumping and > shouts of USA-USA that resemble a football match. > This will no doubt inflame those who are Bin > Laden’s followers in the poorer regions of the > world who see the presence of the USA in their > countries as an imposition. All too vulgar for my > liking and a rather poor indictment on a society > that prides itself as the most advanced. In the > old days, there used to be magnanimity in victory. I completely disagree. When was there ever management in victory? Are you seriously going to tell me Europe didn’t celebrate when they found out Hitler died? Or when the Berlin wall fell? Did they all just sit down quietly for tea and cake? I’m almost in disbelieve to find some people making analogies between the death chants to the USA in the middle east to the chants outside the white house. Seriously, after loosing lives, spending billions and with little else to cheer for America right now, is it really SO terrible for a group of people to go out and celebrate the end to a terrible era?

I think it’s pretty similar actually. But we’re gonna win this thing and the winners will write history. So who cares. We’re right, they’re wrong. If Bin Laden ever had a good argument history will forget all about it.

Faux news at it again… Shep Smith called the operation that killed Osama Bin Laden “illegal” on Tuesday’s “Studio B.” Speaking to Fox News’ Catherine Herridge, Smith was discussing the various reports about the intelligence that led to Bin Laden. At one point, he asked Herridge, “is anyone talking about the fact that this is illegal, this operation was illegal, or is that a matter that’s going to be left for another day?” Herridge said no one had discussed it with her. Smith is not the only Fox host to raise questions about the operation’s legality. Fox Business anchor Andrew Napolitano explicitly called the killing illegal on his Monday show, saying it violated the Constitution and several treaties.

It’s probably open to interpretation whether it was illegal or not. If you assume that the action was part of a wider war effort then I think it can be argued that OBL was a legitimate target. Of course if the US simply invaded Pakistani territory and executed a regular Joe civilan with no trial then they will have broken numerous domestic and international laws. I think pretty much everyone saw OBL as a legitimate target in the war effort so not illegal. To put it another way, I don’t expect there to be any calls for sanctions at the UN. Quite the opposite in fact. I think pretty much every government on earth is glad he is dead.