OFFICIAL THREAD FOR (to be) CHARTERHOLDERS

Hey, For those who have passed L3, we can use one thread to post all our queries regarding charter, application and sponsorship process. Please also list as to which stage of the application process you are in. For those who have already recieved their charter, they can post the number of weeks taken to get their charter. Also they can elaborate the work-ex for the benefits of other passed candidates. I have completed my application and have sent the sponsor(s) to fill in the Sponsor form. My supervisor wants to take permission from HR to complete my sponsorship form…strange :frowning: Have ne’er ever waited for something more eagerly in my life :stuck_out_tongue: Cheers! Nash

For those who care for two charters hanging on your wall, that’s what I received last year. I attended my society CFA presentation and was given one charter. A few weeks later, I received another in the mail. Oh well, for the number of times I took and re-took these exams, I guess I deserve two ; )

so does everyone get two: if they attend the local CFA society, and also get one thru post in the round tubes as they describe, or were you the golden boy?

z3159712 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > so does everyone get two: if they attend the local > CFA society, and also get one thru post in the > round tubes as they describe, or were you the > golden boy? It would seem so. I have read of others receiving two as well when they also attended the local CFA society conferment… Check out http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?13,1092013

Can someone please clarify these - 1. When do I need to give them $375 2. Is there a scenario where I give them the fees, still not get the charter? 3. I need to give this amount annually. If I dont give it one year, I cannot use CFA anymore. Next year if I decide to pay the fees do I need to previous Fees also?

does anyone know how long it takes for CFAI to officially acknowledge charterholders? In other words, I went through the entire approval process in '09 hoping I passed L3 (which I didn’t)…so…I’m a dues-paying member, so to speak (even though on the website I’m “Candidate”) Education, work experience, etc. all approved. Since I’ve now passed L3, how long before I am acknowledged by CFAI as a charterholder? I realize how anal-retentive this seems…just want the whole thing to be DONE already.

cfafa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > does anyone know how long it takes for CFAI to > officially acknowledge charterholders? In other > words, I went through the entire approval process > in '09 hoping I passed L3 (which I > didn’t)…so…I’m a dues-paying member, so to > speak (even though on the website I’m “Candidate”) > Education, work experience, etc. all approved. > > Since I’ve now passed L3, how long before I am > acknowledged by CFAI as a charterholder? > > I realize how anal-retentive this seems…just > want the whole thing to be DONE already. I e-mailed CFAI about this about a week ago…here was their reply: Dear TheChad, Thank you for contacting us with your inquery. The 2010 charters will begin being awarded on September 01, 2010. You will receive an email notifying you once your charter has been awarded and at that point you can begin to represent yourself as a CFA charterholder. I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us again. Regards,

TheChad wrote: I e-mailed CFAI about this about a week ago…here was their reply: Dear TheChad, Thank you for contacting us with your inquery. The 2010 charters will begin being awarded on September 01, 2010. You will receive an email notifying you once your charter has been awarded and at that point you can begin to represent yourself as a CFA charterholder. I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us again. Regards, ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- THANK YOU!! PS - did they really misspell “inquiry?”

cfafa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > THANK YOU!! > PS - did they really misspell “inquiry?” ha ha good catch…I think that was my mistake, I had to retype the e-mail as I do not have access to my personal e-mail account at work.

@TheChad Thanks again for reachiing out to them!!!

My application to become a CFA charterholder has fallen at its first hurdle - eligibility of sponsors. Sponsor #1 - my supervisor, not a CFA charterholder = eligible Sponsor #2 - my colleague, a CFA charterholder, though not a CFA UK local society member = not eligible. I had thought that every CFA charterholder had to be a member of a local society. I thought wrong. I guess I’ll have to go looking for another sponsor… K

Question: - I passed L3 this past june. - CFAI approved 48 months work experience - Now I have 30 days remaining for my local society to approve My question is, would the local society approve before the 30 days are up or do I have to wait the full amount of time ?

Yes, my local society takes only 10 days for my case.

Got approved in 3 weeks…2 weeks from CFAI and 1 from local society, so should be much less than the alloted time, however it also depends on the application(s) they have and how frequently the sit. Thnx

Hey Guys, wow I cant believe the time has come to collect our charters. This is a great post and I am currently also in the waiting game . My local society is toronot and I have roughly 3o days remaining for my local society as well. 3rdtime, what society are you applying to ? Nash, a colleague of mine mentioned that the society meets once a month. Do you remember the date you received your society approval ?

I have paid NYSSA 300 and CFA 275 after my case was approved last week. It took about 3 -4 weeks from start to end. Its not at all worth paying if you are not in the job market looking for a job. Best is to choose some chapter like VA which only costs 60 or 100 I suppose. Anyways cant complain…Its like paying insurance but with an unknown payoff. I havent received any official charter etc. Heard some talk in forum that they post names in Wsj ? Is that true … NYSSA emailed me some info on a graduation type cermony they organize in late october. I will plan to attend that for sure.

Was curious about how upgrading from affiliate to regular member works. Obviously you have to reapply, but how do the sponsor letters work? Assuming you became an affiliate member and got 2 years approved, then after 4 years you want to upgrade to regular membership - do the sponsor letters have to be re-done? Especially if the job duties and supervisor haven’t changed and the local society sponsor is the same it seems pretty pointless. A separate but similar question, what happens when you write up a former position as experience? I gather they only require a letter from the current supervisor, thus the prior posts don’t undergo near the rigorous background check. Basically I want to the peace of mind that my experience now counts, and I work as a trader/analyst for a small hedge fund so I’m pretty sure it does, but I don’t want to take the chance that he emphasizes non-relevant aspects of my job and it gets denied. Additionally, I don’t want to send the signal that I’m getting my experience confirmed so I can jump ship, as I’m sure he’ll ask why I don’t wait til I work there 4 years to do so. Any recommendations?

@ IH8FSA 22nd Sept Indian Society

I’m looking for a sponsor… I need a NYSSA member who is also a CFA charterholder. Anybody have any suggestions of who to contact or, better yet, does anybody meet these qualifications that would consider sponsoring me? The back story is that I’m the first at my company to earn the charter, my boss is based in SF, and I’m in NY and haven’t yet connected with any NYSSA members. Thanks for any help.

got my charter today, am really happy … work-ex was approved by institute last week (friday/saturday) and cleared by the society today … paid and sealed … :slight_smile: