On a Saturday, here I am..

In the office of course. Guess it’s one perk of being involved in Equity Research! I’m not complaining… yet!

What is ER really like? Can you walk us through your daily regime?

Dup

I am in the office every weekend on either Saturday or Sunday. This week will probably be both. In fact, I’m at my desk right now, and will be here for the next 6-7 hours, I bet…

What keeps you motivated? The long-term prospects? And are you learning a lot? What sort of options are you seeing for yourself in the next 5-7 years?

Saturday…Its almost 6pm…ive been at my office since 8am. Today is for CFA…I’ll be here tomorrow at 7am working on a model. Hopefully…if all goes according to plan…I’ll be able to catch the big game…but im not holding my breath.

I never physically go in the office on the weekend. That’s what a VPN is for :slight_smile:

Alayle Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In the office of course. > Guess it’s one perk of being involved in Equity > Research! I’m not complaining… yet! You better not be because you won’t get alot of remorse on here. You were very fortuanate to get an ER job out of school during these markets, and in a relatively small financial market city. Keep in mind many on here are trying to break into good jobs or dealing with layoffs both of co-workers, or of themselves. So…suck it up buttercup

Alayle Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In the office of course. > Guess it’s one perk of being involved in Equity > Research! I’m not complaining… yet! This morning, I was still sound asleep. What are you doing in equity research that’s so important that you have to be in the office on a Saturday morning? I would complain if I had to haul myself to the office on a day like this. Thankfully that is nearly a thing of the past for me, at this point.

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What is ER really like? Can you walk us through > your daily regime? Hey there, so far here is what my routine looks like (entry-level position): Come in at 7:20 in the morning, browse Reuters to check for major news regarding the companies we cover, check the papers (Globe & Mail in Canada) and listen in to the morning ER call at 7:30. This part of day usually lasts up until 8:15. Then, answer / forward relevant emails (requests from outside investors, Investment banking groups, etc). Then, it all depends on the tasks I’ve been asigned to. About once a week, I have to update a marketing package for the analyst (he does lots of marketing all over Canada because he’s THE reference in his industry (was named best analyst by Globe again this year)), which takes me about 1 full day (95 slides with graphs!). Otherwise, now that it is earnings season, I read whatever the companies report and update the models with new numbers and forecasts if the associates are too busy to do it. Note that I’ve just began dealing with models and my experience is limited, but this truly is the highlight of my days. If I don’t do any work relating to these previous tasks, I mainly do errands for anybody around me. That comprises of updating comps tables, building new worksheets to track specific data, keeping up to date existing worksheets with updated numbers, etc. Really, the only menial tasks I have to do (and usually hate doing) are the expenses reports for these guys. Even that takes me about 2h each month, which isn’t too bad (all cannot be perfect hehe!). Even if my post doesn’t sound like it, hours are long and alot is expected out of you. I came in in a time where we’re trying to build coverage of a new industry, so lots of my time is spent building up models / worksheets regarding this. Demanding stuff, but I get to build a great relationship with the Associate and know I’ll gain his trust faster that way. I usually eat in about 30 mins (never at desk tho, hate it) and leave around 6:45 at night, so it really does come out to about 55h a week. But hey, gotta do whatcha gotta do. Feel free to ask any other question.

finseeker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What keeps you motivated? The long-term > prospects? And are you learning a lot? > > What sort of options are you seeing for yourself > in the next 5-7 years? I am motivated because: 1- I love the job; 2- It is better a better job than 98% of what my College buddies landed after graduation. I learn LOTS and enjoy it. The day there won’t be new challenges for me, I will either quit or change positions. In regards to later down the road, I haven’t thought about it much yet. The logical path to ER would be to step up as an Associate and later on Analyst, but it does seem to take a LOT of time to move up, so I don’t know. Corporate finance has always been of interest to me, so I might give it a shot (probably in a Big4 - have previous experience there, loved it). Otherwise, consulting is definitely something I’d like to do. But anyway, I already have a private company set-up with a partner of business dealing with real estate, so I might just give up the corporate ladder if things go smoothly and I can make a living out of it.

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I never physically go in the office on the > weekend. That’s what a VPN is for :slight_smile: Yeah, well I don’t have a laptop / VPN and honestly prefer it that way. I’d rather take 20mins of my time to get into the office than having sight of my work at home. I’ve always been succesful at clearing anything work related when I step out of the office, and intend to keep it that way.

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Alayle Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > In the office of course. > > Guess it’s one perk of being involved in Equity > > Research! I’m not complaining… yet! > > You better not be because you won’t get alot of > remorse on here. You were very fortuanate to get > an ER job out of school during these markets, and > in a relatively small financial market city. Keep > in mind many on here are trying to break into good > jobs or dealing with layoffs both of co-workers, > or of themselves. > > So…suck it up buttercup Hey there, don’t be bitter cause you live in Halifax :slight_smile: Sorry easy joke, actually have family in Darmouth. Nice city (went two years ago). Good luck with whatever you want to find, let me know if I can help

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Alayle Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > In the office of course. > > Guess it’s one perk of being involved in Equity > > Research! I’m not complaining… yet! > > > This morning, I was still sound asleep. What are > you doing in equity research that’s so important > that you have to be in the office on a Saturday > morning? I would complain if I had to haul myself > to the office on a day like this. Thankfully that > is nearly a thing of the past for me, at this > point. Nothing too important to be honest, Friday morning I was out by 11AM with two colleagues of mine to compete in a triathlon for an hospital’s fundation around here, so I had to play catch up (investors day on Tuesday).

I took a snow day on Friday, so I basically have to complete the reports we were working on for Monday. Would have been a long Friday, so now it is a long weekend… Still here at my desk - AWESOME!!

what’s wrong with working during the weekends? isn’t this one of the reasons that you joined the industry?

You have your own Bloomberg terminal, right?

sternwolf Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You have your own Bloomberg terminal, right? No, we share it (5 people).

thanks how many hours do you spend on it a day (on average)? What functions do you generally use for it? For analysis, what websites do you usually use besides Reuters? Also, what publications do you have to read on a weekly basis?