Online MBA

Thoughts on it? Any decent schools? Insight is much appreciated!

guaranteed everyonre will say waste of time on here

University of Phoenix. They say they are good but you will be shocked how their reputation is bad in the business world.

He’s right. Do it part-time if you dont want to commit to full-time course. The network and career management apects of the MBA are the primary reasons for the hefty cost. The actual knowledge gained doesnt seem to be much of a step beyond undergrad if you ask me and is certainly to be found elsewher for cheaper - CFA for ex.

You could do it just to add to your knowledge base - cant get much mileage out of it careerwise though… if you want to go it alone, take a look at Personal MBA, you might find it useful http://personalmba.com/

It is useless. It would be better to do part-time MBA in your city than going for online. A recruiter/hiring manager would laugh if he sees that the candidate has done online MBA.

It’s been a while since I’ve posted here but I thought I would offer my insights on this one. I used to live with this guy who was just finishing his online MBA through the University of Phoenix. He was specializing in e-marketing so maybe its a bit more relevant for that than for something like finance. Several months since graduating he was looking for a job. He had received some offers in the $50K-60K range (in Toronto) but he didn’t want to accept them as he felt that was too low of an offer. He really didn’t have any real experience, and he was making much less than that currently, so I recommended he just take something at least for the time-being. He had lied on his resume too, which he thought would warrant a better offer, but was an area of concern for me. Anyways, fast forward a year, he gets this offer from a major company. $120K a year. He’s laughing now.

Mr. Pink Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s been a while since I’ve posted here but I > thought I would offer my insights on this one. > > I used to live with this guy who was just > finishing his online MBA through the University of > Phoenix. He was specializing in e-marketing so > maybe its a bit more relevant for that than for > something like finance. > > Several months since graduating he was looking for > a job. He had received some offers in the > $50K-60K range (in Toronto) but he didn’t want to > accept them as he felt that was too low of an > offer. He really didn’t have any real experience, > and he was making much less than that currently, > so I recommended he just take something at least > for the time-being. He had lied on his resume > too, which he thought would warrant a better > offer, but was an area of concern for me. > > Anyways, fast forward a year, he gets this offer > from a major company. $120K a year. He’s > laughing now. Is this also a Lie?

Mr. Pink Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s been a while since I’ve posted here but I > thought I would offer my insights on this one. > > I used to live with this guy who was just > finishing his online MBA through the University of > Phoenix. He was specializing in e-marketing so > maybe its a bit more relevant for that than for > something like finance. > > Several months since graduating he was looking for > a job. He had received some offers in the > $50K-60K range (in Toronto) but he didn’t want to > accept them as he felt that was too low of an > offer. He really didn’t have any real experience, > and he was making much less than that currently, > so I recommended he just take something at least > for the time-being. He had lied on his resume > too, which he thought would warrant a better > offer, but was an area of concern for me. > > Anyways, fast forward a year, he gets this offer > from a major company. $120K a year. He’s > laughing now. what’s the moral of the story?

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what’s the moral of the story? ? I guess $120K isn’t impressive. The moral is that online degrees can work.

I would be thinking that Mr Pink’s story would sit more as an outlier than an expected occurrence. I have talked to a few people who have gone through Royal Roads University (a Canadian university that is trying to re-brand itself as a online university of choice) and I was really dismayed at their lack of understanding of simple business concepts. I think there is some serious buyer beware with online MBAs - it is my opinion that there is no school that has the reputation to make the investment worthwhile.

An old friend got his MBA through U Phoenix on-line. He concentrated in finance and fancied himself an “expert”. When I tried to talk to him about Black Scholes , mean variance optimization, etc. he said “I didn’t learn any of that technical analysis crap. I learned about fundamental analysis.” So when I tried to discuss financial statement analysis with him he was totally clueless. But he did know what a p/e ratio was.

The purpose of an MBA is not all about the education. It is about the network. If I need a job, I can call up a fellow alumni right now who is working at Goldman Sachs, or BCG and I can ask them if they need anyone. If I need advice on securities law, I can call up an old MBA drinking buddy who was a securities lawyer. Can you do that with an online MBA? We also got bloomberg stations at our school, do you have that at home?

There are some top 20 programs that do distance learning and you have to go to class twice a semester (once for the first day, and to take the final). That sounds like a better compromise to me - just look at the acceptance rate for these online MBA programs. If it is anything that is easy to get into, it is probably not worth your time. An MBA is a big filter, it isn’t really an MBA.

true, an online MBA? don’t even think about it

aussie_jaco Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would be thinking that Mr Pink’s story would sit > more as an outlier than an expected occurrence. I > have talked to a few people who have gone through > Royal Roads University (a Canadian university that > is trying to re-brand itself as a online > university of choice) and I was really dismayed at > their lack of understanding of simple business > concepts. > > I think there is some serious buyer beware with > online MBAs - it is my opinion that there is no > school that has the reputation to make the > investment worthwhile. Not all are bad aussie, I would think Curtin University in WA has the worlds best Online MBA, at least according to some ranking(I guess its the economist).

Mr. Pink Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > maratikus Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > what’s the moral of the story? > > ? I guess $120K isn’t impressive. > > The moral is that online degrees can work. So the guy lies on his resume, but you believe him? I make $1,000,000,000,000,000,000 a year doing nothing.

Maybe he got the job after removing the lie? In any case, $120k notwithstanding, he doesn’t really sound like someone to emulate.

wow. tell me your secret.

I am not doubting that there are online degrees that are rated better than others. But I can remember when Curtain was a teachers college. If you were to rock up in Sydney or Melbourne and strut your stuff saying you had an MBA from Curtain you would probably not get all that far - not extrapolate that to say somewhere in Europe or the US. If you are looking for a good distance program center in Oz I would be looking at USQ, they have been doing it for a long time. But that just means the channel is proven not the content and I think that is where the big question is.