Online MBA's. Worth it?

I’m not talking about the really expensive ones like Duke or Carnegie Mellon. I was looking at Colorado State, University of Nebraska, University of Massachusets, etc… Are they worth it?

Goldman, KKR and Blackstone all recruit at the University of Phoenix…

Not worth it.

Check out DeVry…i hear their reputation is unparralled in the e-mba world. i applied but alas, was turned down. Apparently i’m not ‘master of the universe’ material.

I don’t know the answer to this question but you guys should take him seriously. There are online MBAs in Ivy league colleges for substantially less $.

I wouldn’t bother. If you want to learn without going to class do the CFA. If you want to network and build lasting relationships that mean something, go to a top 30 MBA program.

Why are people incapable of answering a simple question? Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor.

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why are people incapable of answering a simple > question? > > Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor. The fact that people can afford to be sarcastic suggests they are more than competent in answering simple questions. Who’s being incapable now?

i don’t think its worth it if you can’t get the on campus recruiting, then what’s really the point.

as i’ve stated before, the mba is largely valued by the network you develop in it and by that measure i would have to say no.

Duke and Carnegie Mellon have online MBA’s?

I know Colombia does.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Danteshek Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Why are people incapable of answering a simple > > question? > > > > Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor. > > > The fact that people can afford to be sarcastic > suggests they are more than competent in answering > simple questions. Who’s being incapable now? Anyone can be sarcastic. It’s not that they are incapable of answering simple questions, but rather that they refuse to do so. It’s kinda sad what AF is becoming. Just a bunch of BSDs who have no interest in helping anyone who doesn’t meet their standard.

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anyone can be sarcastic. It’s not that they are > incapable of answering simple questions, but > rather that they refuse to do so. It’s kinda sad > what AF is becoming. Just a bunch of BSDs who > have no interest in helping anyone who doesn’t > meet their standard. i see where you are coming from, but by and large i still think there are a good number of helpful folks here…i think the humorous posts (or attempts to be humorous) do a good job in keeping things light-hearted and breaking up some of the monotony of the same topics coming up again and again

Numi, I didn’t want to say anything because maybe you’re having problems at home or in the bedroom (whatever) but you’ve changed my friend. You’ve gone from “funniest guy on AF” to being a really sick twisted evil hearted bastard. I miss the old Numi. Numi come back. Sniff sniff.

I don’t know the answer myself, but from the posts, it looks like it’s not all that bad if you want to learn the material, but the big thing you lose out on is the networking opportunity. There’s also EMBA as in EXECUTIVE MBA and eMBA as in MBA done over the internet. I do know that the Executive MBAs are usually looked on favorably, especially if you get the degree when you’re older, although you still don’t have as much of the network-building stuff. You may or may not have access to the same set of services from the school’s career center, and that’s important. As for electronic MBAs, I think the industry still is figuring out what to make of these. The model is still relatively new (though a descendant of correspondence courses, which weren’t able to create the team-building skills that most MBA programs want to develop). So for learning stuff, it’s probably not that bad, for getting MBA on your resume, it will work, but you’ll need to have something outstanding on your resume to make up for the fact that many people won’t consider it a “real MBA.” Big things to check: * How do they practice team-building skills * What is the career/employment office like, and do distance students get the same stuff as regular MBA types * Obviously, how well is the MBA program in general expected (fulltime and electronic versions) By the way, I recommend the book “The 10-day MBA”, which goes through a lot of the material that’s taught in MBA programs. I don’t claim it’s a substitute for an MBA, but it does go through each of the topics (Marketing, Corp Finance, Statistics, Org Behavior, etc.) and you can get a sense of what full courses tend to cover, and you can see whether you’d like that sort of material and even walk away understanding some of it. I highly recommend it.

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Numi, I didn’t want to say anything because maybe > you’re having problems at home or in the bedroom > (whatever) but you’ve changed my friend. You’ve > gone from “funniest guy on AF” to being a really > sick twisted evil hearted bastard. I miss the old > Numi. Numi come back. Sniff sniff. thanks, i get that a lot

“Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor.” What’s the highest?

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor.” > > What’s the highest? LOL That reminds me of a Dwight comment. I miss Dwight and Michael and the gang. Damn writers strike!

I thought it was pretty apparent that most of the sarcasm on this board is intended to be light-hearted. I really doubt that people use this forum as a way to feel more powerful, and act like a BSD. Disagree?