Online MBA's. Worth it?

Worthless in my view - MBA is about living, studying and teambuilding in groups - you can not do this online. Waste of money that any top employer will discredit. If you just want to study without attending a programme then CFA is good but is not the same as an MBA.

I’m curious about the value of teamwork (basically, group project) experience in MBA programs. In what fashion is this highly valued by employers ? It seems rather BS.

sternwolf Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m curious about the value of teamwork > (basically, group project) experience in MBA > programs. In what fashion is this highly valued > by employers ? It seems rather BS. Do teamwork and leadership skills really seem that irrelevant to you? Not sure what your question is getting at.

Of course not. I’m meaning the “leadership and teamwork” skills “developed” from MBA programs through “group projects”. These qualities shown through successful prior work experience should trump that, I would think.

I think it’s a bit different than that. In business school, you learn teamwork and leadership skills that can be applied to a variety of different situations. You can learn a lot from working with people of different backgrounds. You do learn a *certain* set of teamwork skills from the job that you have coming in, but it’s all about broadening your perspectives and developing more transferable skills. After all, if you wanted to do the same type of work experience for the rest of your life, why would you need to business school anyway?

How did this post generate 3 pages of comments?? Have you considered the value of online traffic school and what it does to improve your insurance rates? An online MBA will provide about the same benefit on your salary. Next topic please.

This topic is like trying to be an airline pilot by applying for jobs but only studied flying in a simulator with no real flight air time - oh, the simulator is also third rate qulity!

Columbia University does not have a online program, Columbia state in Missiouri does.

There are a few “online” programs that have residency requirements. The University of Florida “online” MBA is a cohort program where all students start and finish at the same time. They are required to meet for the weekend to network/attend classes a total of 8 times during the 27 month program. Arizona State also has a cohort “online” MBA program with a reseidency requirement. The Degrees don’t read “online.”

I’m curious to know how many of the nay-sayers who replied to this post have MBAs (my guess is very few). If it comes to having an MBA or not having an MBA, the having MBA (irrespective of the school) still trumps the non-MBA. This post actually strikes a chord for me because I am involved in an online MBA from the University of Tulsa. It’s a respected private university and the MBA diploma doesn’t state if it was received online or on campus. Now, will an MBA from Tulsa carry the same clout as a top ten BS? No, but it carries a lot of State clout and recognition. Also, this program, and I’m assuming this to be true for other online MBA from respected universities, allows the same networking as with traditional students. That said, I refer once again to the first paragraph because that was the most important point. Everybody has an opinion (and is entitled to one), but the only ones that count are the ones who have the credentials–otherwise, for lack of a better word I’ll use slang, they remain “wannabees” Please feel free to use this logic in other life situations–it stands true.

Absolutely Not! Sorry to be so direct, but it’s the truth.