P90X or Insanity?

Yeah, if I had a good treadmill, I’d consider walking. From what I can tell, it’s even better than running, because it’s not as bad for your joints, and you can control the difficulty through the slope of the incline.

The problem is–where I live, there are no hills. So you’d have to have a treadmill, and I don’t have one. Don’t know if I want to get one or not, or whether there is one that is recommended.

Maybe try walking to and from work? Doesn’t matter that there are no hills. And yes, walking has much lower impact on joints and at the same time similar benefits as running.

Running actually strengthens joints and increases bone density. Although it turns you into an inflexible stiff.

I like to cushion the impact by running flatfooted rather than landing on toe or heel, which is not really optimal for speed or endurance, but it makes it easier.

Lol @ walking. Unless your a chick, the best this will do is make you skinny fat. Listen to said advice about HIIT and boxing.

Take the challenge.

Go to your gym (or wherever a treadmill is available) and set the MPH to 3.5 (a good walking pace) and set the incline to 10% and tell me what happens.

try POSE running.

What happens: you fall asleep from sheer boredom and break your collarbone on the treadmill console.

Seriously, dude. If you’re looking to lose weight start tracking what you eat.

If you want to lose weight by walking, which is a great first step, get the fitbit flex or something (www.fitbit.com) and set it to the amount of steps you want to get a day. I know someone that was quite fat that lost a lot of weight with that simply because it makes you aware of how much energy you’re burning versus how much you are consuming. So, you can track you steps while not passing out from boredom on the treadmill. 'Grats on the jog/walk. Something like this could help to keep you motivated (I’ve seen it work).

People, what exercise is good for you is all about what your goals are. If you want a 500 pound deadlift then running very long distances is not congruent with that goal. Heavy weight training is. If you want to lose weight then the single most important thing you can do is watch your diet. Period.

Brisk walking is highly effective.

For toning (so you are not skinny fat) you need the strength excersize. If pilates are too girly, lifting weight works. Although I would still ephasize pilates as they target inside short muscles of your core versus lifting weights work long outside muscles.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/northshore/nnews/6531341-113/pilates-body-professional-athletes

And if the first article sparked your interest:)

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/the-benefits-of-pilates

Just because something is challenging doesn’t mean its an effective way to achieve the goals you’ve stated above. I can do 60 push ups, but that isn’t going to loose me any weight. I am currently on my cutting cycle.

+1 to the food diary. It’s proven very effective. You should set goals and achieve them. Do you eat a twinkie every day? The goal should be only 3 twinkies a week. Then 2. You should gradually decrease your consumption of bad stuff as you are increasing your exercise.

I’ve done pilates and it’s hard and totally works the heck out of the core. To me, it is boring though. This is the same reason I do not like yoga, although I’ll go with my girl occasionally.

Weight lifting is a broad topic. I am guessing you are referring to nautilus training (machines), in which case you are largely right. Nautilus is also bullshit. If you think that weight lifting does not work the smaller muscles, take just the bar on your back and squat “ass to grass” until near failure. Core is going to hurt. Front squat is even tougher. Now imagine how that feels with more weight on the bar. Flexibility and core strength is extremely important in proper weight lifting.

I can’t wait till Black Swan blasts everyone on this thread.

My old roommate and his obese GF used to go for walks (for exercise) and would always come back eating an ice cream cone…every time. HAHA

If you exercise regulary and change your eating habits, you will drop weight.

When I started Insanity I also changed my eating habits. Breakfast is now bowl of fruit or a few apples instead of baked goods or bacon. Lunch is a salad or 6 inch Subway instead of MCD or even a footlong sub with chips. Dinner is protein heavy and few carbs instead of 4 pieces of pizza or a dozen wings…And allow one day where you cheat and pig out to keep you sane. If you eat right 6/7 days you will lose weight…no question.

Shaun T says DIG DEEPER!!

I find the pilates experience depends A LOT on a teacher… Some of my gfs tried and hated it. It takes time to find the good teacher that would be adjusting you the right way, challenge you when necessary and get creative.

It can also go at the slower pace than a typical gym class and without music, which can be a turn off. But some of my teachers implement cardio parts in it as well. With the right teacher you’ll swet as hell in the class!

I can see how yoga can be boring for some of you. Try flying yoga next time your gf brings it up:)

Also TRX is pretty cool and guys seem to like it too

You eat three apples for breakfast?

I do the Rico Suave workout and get my six pack abs by making love 17 hours a day to 17 different women

and for peeps on here under 35 you will prob not get the reference…

two Honey Crisp apples…they are orgasmic

Oh yeah, taste so goooooood…

Yeah. He seems to be MIA lately.

Yep I learned last year travelling for work that when you eat out 3 meals a day and do nothing but drink in your free time, you gain weight! Imagine that! So to undo that, in the past 6-7 months I’ve dropped about 20 lbs and added muscle, mostly by watching what I eat, cycling on weekends, and working out 3 times a week (mix of cardio and weights).

He’s too busy pounding 8 girls a week.