part-time weekend/evening work

I am looking for part-time finance/accounting related work to supplement my full-time income, and to help pay hefty child support payments. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any resources? The work would have to be done outside my normal work hours, which is 9-6. Thanks

Does it have to be finance/accounting? I had a good time bartending at a country club as a second job. Not only did I make a lot of tips (cash), but also many of the members were affluent and fantastic to network with.

I would like to try bartending too. I love mixing alcohols and concoting unique drinks. Problem is, I’m asian, and I don’t know how well asian bartenders are accepted in this country.

No, i just never did serving/bartending. I can cook, but I’m looking to make at least $20/hour for 10 hrs. I just need to pull in an extra $150/week.

Picco Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would like to try bartending too. I love mixing > alcohols and concoting unique drinks. Problem is, > I’m asian, and I don’t know how well asian > bartenders are accepted in this country. Just do it bro. While the unique drink was fun to make, most of the time I poured beer, made scotch on the rocks, gin&tonic, vodka tonic, etc. Overall a decent gig, but surely not something that one should do forever.

Picco Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would like to try bartending too. I love mixing > alcohols and concoting unique drinks. Problem is, > I’m asian, and I don’t know how well asian > bartenders are accepted in this country. Please explain?

What are your specific finance and accounting qualifications? A lot of small businesses struggle with maintaining accurate books and might be interested in hiring a part-time consultant to help out. Sure they won’t care if the work is done on nights and weekends (that’s probably when they do it themselves). Probably best way to get exposure to potential customers is to go to local Chamber of Commerce lunches/breakfasts.

QuantJock_MBA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Picco Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I would like to try bartending too. I love > mixing > > alcohols and concoting unique drinks. Problem > is, > > I’m asian, and I don’t know how well asian > > bartenders are accepted in this country. > > > Just do it bro. While the unique drink was fun to > make, most of the time I poured beer, made scotch > on the rocks, gin&tonic, vodka tonic, etc. > > Overall a decent gig, but surely not something > that one should do forever. How do I get started? Do i need to attend some bartending course or something? My only experience in making drinks is what I do at home. I’m terrified of a customer asking me for this obscure drink to impress his lady friend, and I end up bert-staring him.

Maybe a call centre position ? Hard to find work in those hours

Picco Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How do I get started? Do i need to attend some > bartending course or something? My only > experience in making drinks is what I do at home. > I’m terrified of a customer asking me for this > obscure drink to impress his lady friend, and I > end up bert-staring him. Class, no. I’d look at the chain restaurants or smaller local spots first. They’d be the most willing to train. The hot nightspots have no time for training and they can be picky since their bartenders are pulling down $1.5-3k a weekend in tips. Don’t be terrified, once in awhile I’d have to break out the bar book, but 90% of the time it would be simple stuff that any rookie could do.

> > How do I get started? Do i need to attend some > bartending course or something? My only > experience in making drinks is what I do at home. > I’m terrified of a customer asking me for this > obscure drink to impress his lady friend, and I > end up bert-staring him. I was at a bar with a friend where he asked for some unique thing and the bar tender said if he couldn’t describe how to make it he wasn’t going to get it. My buddy ended up with a gin&tonic…

Tax Returns…although kinda late for this year.

i also want to get into bartending but don’t know how to start.

I tended bar at a small upscale restaurant as a 2nd job after college. Had no experience so I lied on the application and said I worked at a bar in my college town. Got the job and just memorized some crap online before my first day. Bartending at a restaurant is insanely easy. If you can pass L1, you can figure out how to pour drinks and make polite banter.

thanks guys. Can one make $150 net a week in one shift tending bar?

On the slowest of nights (Monday to Thursday), I would take home at least $40 cash for 3 hours. Friday and Saturday was usually $100 plus. Sunday was usually $60 to $80. Again, all cash and this was back in 2001-02. My actual paycheck was a nit due to low hourly pay and implied tip taxes. This was also in a smaller town. Average entree price was around $20. Go to a bigger city, you could easily take in $150 for a single night. Problem is would be getting a restaurant to hire you for only one night a week would be difficult in this economic environment.

Ouch, double shift, that is a tough one dood. How about just get a job overseas or something and drop off the grid. Child support is total male slavery.

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- Child support is total male slavery. Man I hope you’re kidding. Alimony is definitely a BS concept now, but a real man takes care of his kids. If you don’t trust the kid’s mother to be legit with the money, set it up through a court administrator or the state or something, but a parent who shirks his or her responsibilities to their kids (monetary and otherwise) gets zero respect in my eyes.

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Child support is total male > slavery. Did you abandon any kids, purealpha? Poor kids. Life is tough out there.

Look into DJing weddings. I do this on the side through a local company for some extra spending cash, and it’s great. It’s fun, you meet a ton of cool people, and it’s super easy. Not to mention, I average about $350 a gig. The lowest I have ever made in 2.5 years of DJing is $175 in a night, and the highest is $550. Do it three times a month and you have an extra G in disposable income. There is no extra work involved outside of the days of the weddings. It’s great.